Capital chaos averted as Jats call off Delhi march
In a major relief, the impending chaos and disorder in national Capital have been averted as the Jats on Sunday “suspended” their proposed protest march to Delhi on Monday following a truce between the Haryana Government and leaders of the community.
Jat leaders decided to call off their agitation after a marathon four-hour meeting with Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar and two Union Ministers Birender Singh and PP Chaudhary —both Jats.
“We have suspended Delhi Kooch after agreement with the Haryana Government on all issues. We will take a decision on coming protests in a State executive meeting on March 26,” said Jat leader Yashpal Malik after meeting with Khattar.
Meanwhile, Delhi Police spokesperson Dependra Pathak said that Delhi Police will be in the ‘wait and watch mode’ since students will be appearing for examination and also interviews are starting at Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). Pathak said that though traffic curbs will be eased off, there will be a continuous watch on the vehicular movement.
Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) issued a statement saying that its services will continue as usual on Monday. Metro stations in Gurgaon, Noida and Faridabad will remain open as usual.
The Jat community, which is demanding reservation in Government jobs and educational institutions, among other things, resumed their agitation on January 29.
Khattar said both sides have reached a consensus on five points, including initiation of the process of reservation for the Jats in Central Government jobs, reconsideration of cases lodged against Jat agitators since 2010 and permanent jobs to next-of-kin of those killed and those maimed during the 2016 February agitation in Haryana.
Besides, the Government will also give monetary compensation to the injured and institute probe against officers accused of high-handedness during the Jat stir, he said.
“All this will be done in a time-bound manner. Our Government is committed to the welfare of the Jats,” the Chief Minister said.
Malik said the Jats will not undertake the proposed march to Parliament on Monday. However, he said, token dharnas at some places in Haryana would continue for the time being.
Khattar, who was to visit Lucknow to attend the swearing-in of Yogi Adityanath as Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh on Sunday, called off his visit to be available for parleys with Jat leaders in his State.
The protest call had set alarm bells ringing in Delhi as Parliament is in session.
There were apprehensions that normal life would be severely hit in the national Capital, apart from the fact that students were to sit for board exams on Monday.
Earlier on Sunday, Delhi Metro announced it will suspend services to Haryana and Uttar Pradesh and close 12 important stations from Sunday night. These were Rajiv Chowk, Patel Chowk, Central Secretariat, Udyog Bhavan, Lok Kalyan Marg, Janpath, Mandi House, Barakhamba Road, RK Ashram Marg, Pragati Maidan, Khan Market and Shivaji Stadium.
According to a Delhi Metro Rail Corporation official, the 12 stations in central Delhi were to be shut from 8 p.m. on Sunday till further notice. But interchange facility was to be made available at the relevant stations.
- TMC, Tamil Nadu Opp slam Centre 28 May 2017 | PNS
- Have a beef with Centre over ban: Kerala 28 May 2017 | VR Jayaraj
- Sunanda murder: Police form team to file report on hotel Leela’s plea 28 May 2017 | Souvik Mitra
- India signs maritime pact with Mauritius 28 May 2017 | Vineeta Pandey
- Natural gas business running out of steam 28 May 2017 | Madhusudan Sahoo
- Wani’s successor shot, one protester killed 28 May 2017 | Khursheed Wani
- 10 ultras killed in 24 hrs 28 May 2017 | PNS
- Terrorists use house of God for evil 28 May 2017 | Rahul Datta/Mohit Kandhari
- If Europe is to survive, it must root out jehadism 28 May 2017 | Swapan Dasgupta
- Govt keeps pet breeders, mills on tight leash 27 May 2017 | Rajesh Kumar
Sunday EditionView All
28 May 2017 | PNS | New Delhi
The Election Commission on Saturday made it clear that EVM challenge will be conducted within the framework of the existing administrative safeguards and security protocols. The commission said that it had never made a 'promise' to hold a “no-holds-barred hackathon” when it announced the EVM hacking challenge...
STATE EDITIONSView All
28 May 2017 | PNS | Jamshedpur
As the government appointed probe team reaches at crucial stage ofinvestigation, sources informed that the team is focussing on the landdeal that is suspected to be the reason behind gruesome killings. “During investigation we found that rumours on child lifting was usedan alibi to lynch the youths at both the places by vested interestgroups with some ulterior motives bent on disturbing peace of thesociety...