CBI summons U’khand CM for questioning on Dec 26
The CBI has asked Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat to appear before it on December 26 in connection with a probe into the purported sting operation involving him. This is the second time that Rawat has been summoned by the CBI on a Preliminary Enquiry (PE) registered by it in last seven months.
He had earlier appeared before the agency on May 24 during which he was questioned for nearly five hours.
The agency had registered a preliminary enquiry in connection with the alleged sting operation on April 29 purportedly showing Rawat offering bribes to rebel Congress lawmakers to support him during a floor test in the Uttarakhand Assembly.
The PE is the first step during which the agency verifies the facts in the complaint received by it. During a PE, the agency usually only “requests” a person “to join the probe” and does not summon him, carry out searches or make any arrests. If verification of facts shows need of further probe, it may register an FIR or else close the PE.
The CBI probe focuses on Rawat’s relations with the owner of a news channel, alleged bribe proposal made to one dissident MLA by him and a Minister in his previous Cabinet, besides his claims on the
purported sting video. The case was registered on the reference received from the State Government (during President’s rule) and subsequent notification from BJP-led Central Government.
After Rawat’s victory in the floor test, the State Cabinet had met on May 15 and withdrawn the notification recommending a CBI probe into the sting operation involving him. Instead, the State Cabinet decided to constitute a Special Investigating Team to probe the case as it was a State subject.
CBI had said the notification was rejected after taking legal opinion, which said there was no ground for its withdrawal and it was “not legally tenable”. The Chief Minister had failed to get a reprieve from Uttarakhand High Court also which had refused to quash the ongoing CBI probe into the sting operation.
- SC takes plunge for J&K parleys 29 Apr 2017 | Abraham Thomas
- Eastern e-way set to unclog Delhi by Aug 29 Apr 2017 | Deepak Kumar Jha
- Organisational shake-up for BJP Vistar on cards 29 Apr 2017 | Deepak K Upreti
- ‘Hello, it’s Yogi’ rings alarm bells for babus 29 Apr 2017 | PNS
- AAP Govt takes UP’s holiday path 29 Apr 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Acquitted IPL spot fixer ends on sore ‘note’ 29 Apr 2017 | Abraham Thomas
- I am ISI agent, want to stay in India: Pak man claims at IGIA 29 Apr 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Army’s vulnerable security needs fund boost 28 Apr 2017 | Rahul DattaMohit Kandhari
- Uri-2 in Kupwara averted 28 Apr 2017 | Khursheed Wani
- SC sends man to jail for backing out of offer to buy Sahara hotel 28 Apr 2017 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
23 Apr 2017 | Ananya Borgohain
Author Pilar Maria Guerrieri discusses with ANANYA BORGOHAIN how the maps of Delhi from the 19th century onwards document the evolution of the Capital through the Mughal era, pre and post colonial periods, and the contemporary times Please tell us a little about yourself. I am an Italian but since my childhood, I have seen my parents travel to India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
29 Apr 2017 | PNS | BHUBANESWAR
The much-hyped river Mahanadi-Godavari (MG) link move is in limbo as the Centre has decided not to undertake these two rivers’ connection in isolation. The MG link issue came up at a recently-held National Water Development Agency (NWDA) meeting, where Union Water Resources Secretary Amarjit Singh revealed, “MG link will not be taken up in isolation; rather water from Manas-Sankosh-Teesta-Ganga (MSTG) link will be made available in Mahanadi basin first including...