- Militant, among 3 killed in J&K forest shootout
- 15 dead Maoists fished out of Maharashtra river; toll 37
- Saroj Khan backs casting couch, says film industry 'at least' gives jobs
- Pakistan hockey hero seeks heart transplant in India
- India strongly raises terrorism issue at SCO FMs' meet in China
- Trump admin toughens H1-B visa procedure
- PM launches Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan
- Kathua rape-murder: Cop, SPO arrested by SIT move J-K HC
Crowd looks on as girl abducted in lawless NCR
Lack of security for women and the shocking apathy of denizens of the Delhi-NCR region came into sharp focus when a college student was pulled into a car by three youths in a crowded area of Old Gurgaon on Monday morning. The abduction took place around 9.43 am right outside Guru Dronacharya College.
Even as the hapless girl screamed for help and put up a fight to get out of the clutches of her kidnappers at a busy traffic intersection, no one came to her aid despite the fact that there were many vehicles and people around at that time of the day.
As the Maruti Swift car sped away, none of the motorists present at the spot bothered to give chase. Shockingly, two youths, who had been watching the whole drama from just a few feet away, did not react to the crime taking place in front of them till it was too late and gave a halfhearted chase as the car door finally slammed shut and the kidnappers made off with the girl.
The entire incident was captured on the CCTV placed right outside the college gate, which shows that it took less than 30 seconds for the captors to abduct the girl.
The Gurgaon Police came to know about the incident after a woman called up the control room. Soon after getting the call Gurgaon Police Commissioner formed several police teams and a hunt was launched to rescue the girl.
The video grab of the CCTV cameras installed outside Rajvanshi Hotel was accessed by the teams of Crime Branch and the City Police station to crack the case by 5.30 pm.
“The girl was forcibly taken away by three youths. She was freed and the men have been apprehended. We will soon come up with more information. The accused and the victim knew each other. The motive of the abduction is not known yet,” said Gurgaon Police Commissioner Navdeep Singh Virk. A case of kidnapping has been registered against the youths.
This is not the first incident of abduction in the city. A few weeks ago a 16-year-old girl waiting for her schoolbus in Gurgaon was allegedly bundled into a van by four boys of her class, blindfolded, driven to a desolate spot and raped by two of them.
Soon after Monday’s incident the video footage of the college girl being kidnapped went viral on the social media and Haryana Chief Minister ML Khattar ordered the police to crack the case at the earliest.
The video footage showed the girl wearing a pink coloured salwar kameez coming out of the back gate of the Guru Dronacharya College around 9.40 am, being approached by a youth and then being pushed into the car that was parked close by. The footage shows the girl trying to resist before being whisked away.
The video also shows the car stopping at a crowded traffic intersection and its door being flung open. The girl can be seen kicking at the car door and fighting to escape before being pulled back into the car.
A senior police official said that the statement of the girl has been recorded and those arrested on the charges of kidnapping her are being interrogated to ascertain the motive.
- KMP Expressway: Rukawat ke liye khed hai 24 Apr 2018 | Parvesh Sharma
- AFSPA revoked in Meghalaya, part of Arunachal 24 Apr 2018 | PNS
- RoadWatch app saving wildlife from deathtraps 24 Apr 2018 | Sapna Singh
- ...soon after, judges confront CJI over Govt sitting on appointments 24 Apr 2018 | PNS
- BSY‚Äôs son won‚Äôt contest against Siddaramaiah Jr 24 Apr 2018 | Kestur Vasuki
- V-P junks CJI impeachment notice 24 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Connecting India: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly 23 Apr 2018 | ABHINAV SINGH
- At CPM helm again, Yechury vows to stop communalism 23 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Tackling youth radicalisation key security concern in J&K 23 Apr 2018 | Rahul Datta
- Vertical gardens get PMO push to curb city pollution 23 Apr 2018 | Rajesh Kumar
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | PTI | Ahmedabad
A mild tremor measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale was felt in parts of south Gujarat, including Bharuch and Surat districts, though no damage was reported, officials said...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
The first meeting of Acharya Shankar Ekta Nyas was held under the chairmanship of Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Monday at Chief Minister’s residence. Discussion on setting up statue, museum, institution establishment, premises construction, architectural style and vision, rules of the trust, administrative requirements, financial management and formation of executive committee was held in the meeting...