Defending Champions crumble before Pak
An inspired Pakistan hammered a blundering India by 180 runs to lift the ICC Champions Trophy, riding on a scintillating hundred from rookie opener Fakhar Zaman and a sensational bowling spell from Mohammad Amir.
This is Pakistan’s first ICC title triumph since their 2009 World Twenty20 win but more importantly it broke the jinx of not performing against India in big ticket matches.
It was a charged-up performance from Sarfraz Ahmed’s underdog team with left-handed opener Zaman, after a lucky reprieve, scoring a pulsating 114 in their imposing 338 for 4.
Amir (6-2-16-3) then tormented the Indian batsmen with a devastating first spell and eventually the defending champions were bundled out for 158 in only 30.3 overs.
Rohit Sharma (0), Shikhar Dhawan (21) and Virat Kohli (5) were snuffed out by Amir in a devastating first spell with three brilliant deliveries. The fate of the match was sealed.
Hardik Pandya smashed 76 off 43 balls, hit half a dozen of sixes to provide some entertainment, before being run-out due to a horrible mix-up with Jadeja. Pandya was livid but he was only delaying the inevitable.
As the final wicket fell, Oval, immersed in a ‘Sea of Green’, was euphoric in its celebration along with those eleven on the field.
- Can 2 time zones save India’s energy? Govt to study 23 Jun 2017 | Pioneer News Service
- JNUSU president suspended from panels for misconduct 23 Jun 2017 | Rahiba R Parveen
- Dad chops off 3-yr-old’s ears to ‘save’ her life 23 Jun 2017 | Kanika Mehta
- Sikkim CM backs Gorkhaland demand as agitation hits supply 23 Jun 2017 | Saugar Sengupta
- Army beats BAT back but sacrifices 2 jawans 23 Jun 2017 | Mohit Kandhari/Khurshid Wani
- Kovind to file papers today; PM, NDA CMs to witness 23 Jun 2017 | PNS
- Opp pits Meira against Kovind 23 Jun 2017 | Pioneer News Service
- Opp meets today on Prez pick; consensus elusive 22 Jun 2017 | Deepak Kumar Jha
- Distrustful man stabs wife 35 times, son hurt in rescue bid 22 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter
- World record in Ahmedabad 22 Jun 2017 | Nayan Dave
Sunday EditionView All
18 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | New Delhi
A police team, along with sniffer dogs, scanned the whole area of Bonta Park in Civil Lines on Saturday morning to get some clue about a woman murdered by her husband on Friday. After 12 hours search operation, police were able to find the body identified as Komal...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Jun 2017 | PNS | Ranchi
The teams of West Bengal, Odisha, Madhya Pradesh and Jharkhand were awarded prizes for securing ranks in two categories of the OORJA CRPF Youth Under-19 Football Talent Contest -2017 that concluded on June 22 at Mega Sports Complex, Ranchi. Both in the Boys and girls category the WB team won the first prize getting Rs 1 lakh reward and trophy to each team...