- In Modi, Trump has a leader he can truly work with: experts
- Monsoon session of Parliament from July 17 to Aug 11
- Over 140 people feared buried in China landslide
- Modi to be first world leader to have WH dinner with Trump
- DU announces first cut-off list
- Srikanth reaches 3rd successive Super Series final
- Modi embarks on three-nation tour
Friendship request lands thief behind bars
An overconfident domestic help who committed the mistake of sending a Facebook request to a Vashi-based elderly couple from whom he had stolen cash and jewellery worth Rs 28 lakhs, in April this year, is now cooling his heels in a Navi Mumbai police lock up.
A 12-standard dropout who had done a diploma course in catering, a jobless Sanayal had landed the job as a domestic help in Rauts' residence some time ago. Rauts, whose son is away in the United States and daughter lives in Pune, trusted Sanyal, but the net-savvy domestic help decided to pull a fast one on them.
"Had he not sent a friendly Facebook request to Raut, we could not have traced him to Kolkata. With the help of the cyber crime cell and one of his Kolkata-based friends, we located Sanyal in Kolkata, arrested him and brought him to Navi Mumbai during the weekend," Vashi-based Police Inspector Ramesh More told The Pioneer here on Monday.
"When we finally tracked down the 33-year-old domestic help Subhobrata Sanyal to his family residence in Kolkata a few days ago, he tried to bluff his way out of the situation by saying that he was being framed by his former employers. However, after intense grilling, Sanyal has come around and admitted to his crime. We are in the process of recovering the jewellery that he had decamped with," More said.
A police team from Navi Mumbai is leaving for Kolkata to recover the jewellery and other valuables that he had stolen from the residence of Deepak Raut (70), and his wife Amita (61), with whom he had been working as a domestic help for some time. He had decamped with cash and jewellery worth Rs 28 lakh from Rauts' residence on April 30, after serving them sedative-laced kheer.
"Sanyal has told us that he has spent all the cash that he had decamped with from the Rauts' residence while he was on the run. He has admitted to having gone to several places, including to his relative's place in Bhubaneswar. He has now admitted to us that he has hidden the stolen jewellery at his friend's residence in Kolkata," More said.
More said that the Vashi police were hopeful of recovering the stolen jewellery if not the cash. Sanyal was arrested in Kolkata late last week. A visiting team of Navi Mumbai police obtained his transit bail from an Alipore court in West Bengal and brought him to Navi Mumbai, where he has now been remanded in police custody till by a local first-class judicial magistrate's court, till August 13.
- Book on democracy’s darkest hour released 25 Jun 2017 | NAYAN DAVE
- Does Emergency retain its relevance? 25 Jun 2017 | M Venkaiah Naidu
- US OK’s sale of drones to India 25 Jun 2017 | Agencies
- 2 dead as car runs over pavement in Kashmere Gate 25 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Jewar gets wings, Centre clears int’l airport proposal 25 Jun 2017 | PNS
- Pact violated as Pak targets Poonch posts 25 Jun 2017 | PNS
- CRPF jawan martyred in terror attack 25 Jun 2017 | Mohit Kandhari
- Presidential election: It’s ordinariness vs pedigree 25 Jun 2017 | Swapan Dasgupta
- Terror looms over Yatra 25 Jun 2017 | Rahul Datta/Mohit Kandhari
- No licence needed to serve liquor in pvt functions: Kerala HC 24 Jun 2017 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
25 Jun 2017 | Shipra Parashar/ Srishti Garg | New Delhi
With Delhi University declaring its first cut-off list on Friday, SGTB Khalsa college came out with the highest 99.66 per cent for BSc (Hons) Electronics...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 Jun 2017 | PNS | Dehradun
A regimented protocol of ‘Fast Track Bypass surgeries’ in which a patient can get discharged in three days has been initiated by the Max hospital here. Addressing media persons Senior Consultant Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery (CTVS), Dr Manish Meswani said that Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery (CABG) involves counselling of patient and fast tracking the conventional processes...