- Militant, among 3 killed in J&K forest shootout
- 15 dead Maoists fished out of Maharashtra river; toll 37
- Saroj Khan backs casting couch, says film industry 'at least' gives jobs
- Pakistan hockey hero seeks heart transplant in India
- India strongly raises terrorism issue at SCO FMs' meet in China
- Trump admin toughens H1-B visa procedure
- PM launches Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan
- Kathua rape-murder: Cop, SPO arrested by SIT move J-K HC
Haunted by childhood rapes by cousins, IIT boy commits suicide
A 21-year-old student of the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, committed suicide by hanging himself from the ceiling fan at his hostel room in South Delhi’s Vasant Vihar area on Friday.
In the one page suicide note scribbled in Bangla, Naru Gopal Maloo — a first year MSc Chemistry student who had joined the premiere institute in July last year — stated that he was living in constant guilt due to the sexual abuses he faced at the hands of his two cousins during his childhood in Hooghly in West Bengal.
Police said the suicide was reported to them around 8.05 am by the security guards of the Nilgiri hostel when the room in which the deceased lived was found to be locked.
A senior police investigator told The Pioneer that in the suicide note, Naru — a native of Tribeni area in Hooghly district — said he was first sexually exploited by his cousin brother (badi mausi ka beta) when he was 10 years old.
“Later, his mama ka beta (maternal brother) also started indulging in sexual acts with him. In the note, he mentioned, he derived pleasure from these acts.
While he got used to it, it was only when he came to study at IIT Delhi last year in July that he realised that he has grown accustomed to the child sexual abuse and gradually developed feelings of guilt. In the note, he has sought forgiveness from his parents and has clearly mentioned that he wants strictest punishment to those who ruined his childhood,” said the official.
“Naru lived with two other students in the room. Since he was studying till late on Thursday night, he asked others to leave him alone in the room. The roommates spoke to him last at around 12:30am. In the morning, despite repeatedly knocking on the door, when Naru did not open the door, security guards were called in. Through grilled window, the roommates and guard found Naru hanging from the ceiling,” said a senior investigator.
Milind Dumbere, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Southwest) said it is not the first time that Naru tried to end his life. “On questioning his roommates, we found that Naru had tried to commit suicide on April 10 also by consuming a heavy dose of sleeping pills but was taken to the Safdarjung hospital where he was discharged after treatment.”
His roommates alleged that even after knowing Naru’s suicidal thoughts, his brother Bachoo Ram dropped him back to the hostel on Thursday afternoon, the day he was discharged from the Safdarjung hospital on Thursday morning. Police said the deceased was counselled by his elder brother, Bachoo Ram.
The Delhi Police officials said they have asked their counterparts in the West Bengal Police to register a Zero FIR. Police said they will add relevant sections in FIR accordingly. “We will also be questioning the relatives who have been named in the FIR,” said the police officer.
Naru, who completed his graduation from the Presidency Univeristy in Kolkata, was the youngest among three sons and he is survived by his parents and siblings.
Police said the post mortem of the deceased was conducted at the Safdarjung hospital mortuary after which it was handed over to his elder brother, Bachoo. Further investigation is on, they said.
- KMP Expressway: Rukawat ke liye khed hai 24 Apr 2018 | Parvesh Sharma
- AFSPA revoked in Meghalaya, part of Arunachal 24 Apr 2018 | PNS
- RoadWatch app saving wildlife from deathtraps 24 Apr 2018 | Sapna Singh
- ...soon after, judges confront CJI over Govt sitting on appointments 24 Apr 2018 | PNS
- BSY‚Äôs son won‚Äôt contest against Siddaramaiah Jr 24 Apr 2018 | Kestur Vasuki
- V-P junks CJI impeachment notice 24 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Connecting India: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly 23 Apr 2018 | ABHINAV SINGH
- At CPM helm again, Yechury vows to stop communalism 23 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Tackling youth radicalisation key security concern in J&K 23 Apr 2018 | Rahul Datta
- Vertical gardens get PMO push to curb city pollution 23 Apr 2018 | Rajesh Kumar
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | PTI | Ahmedabad
A mild tremor measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale was felt in parts of south Gujarat, including Bharuch and Surat districts, though no damage was reported, officials said...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
The first meeting of Acharya Shankar Ekta Nyas was held under the chairmanship of Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Monday at Chief Minister’s residence. Discussion on setting up statue, museum, institution establishment, premises construction, architectural style and vision, rules of the trust, administrative requirements, financial management and formation of executive committee was held in the meeting...