×
E-PAPER ▾

E-paper

Today's Newspaper

HC orders no more caste-based rallies in Uttar Pradesh

| | Lucknow
HC orders no more caste-based rallies in Uttar Pradesh

Dealing a severe blow to the so-called ‘social engineering’ concepts of political parties, the Allahabad High Court on Thursday stayed with immediate effect caste-based rallies throughout Uttar Pradesh. It issued notices to the Central and State Governments, the Election Commission and the four major political parties in the State — SP, BSP, BJP, Congress — asking them to present their views.

“We stay caste-based rallies throughout the State of UP,” the Lucknow Bench of the High Court comprising justices Uma Nath Singh and Mahendra Dayal said on a PIL filed by a local lawyer Motilal Yadav.

Caste-based rallies have come to become one of the mainstays of parties in Uttar Pradesh. With 2014 general elections in mind, the four major players had already been on an overdrive to conduct such rallies across the State.

Recently, the BSP finished the first phases of Brahmin Bhaichara Sammelans in 40 districts of the State, including one addressed by party supremo Mayawati at Lucknow. Having lost out to the SP, the BSP has been aiming to revive its Brahmin-Dalit formula.

Its archrival and ruling party, SP, too had organised a similar event in Lucknow recently besides a Muslim Sammelan and those for the Backward Classes and Dalits. The BJP and the Congress have also been holding such caste-based public meetings and conventions.

The litigant submitted that there was a spurt of caste-based political rallies in the State. He said political parties were organising caste-based rallies in the name of different castes like Brahmin, Kshatriya and Vaishya among others.

Yadav maintained that while such events were causing damage to social unity and harmony, they were also vitiating the society which was against the spirit of the Constitution.

 
 
 

TOP STORIES

Sunday Edition

View All

EVM challenge within framework: EC

28 May 2017 | PNS | New Delhi

The Election Commission on Saturday made it clear that EVM challenge will be conducted within the framework of the existing administrative safeguards and security protocols. The commission said that it had never made a 'promise' to hold a “no-holds-barred hackathon” when it announced the EVM hacking challenge...

Read More

STATE EDITIONS

View All

Probe team focuses on land deal at Nagadih

28 May 2017 | PNS | Jamshedpur

As the government appointed probe team reaches at crucial stage ofinvestigation, sources informed that the team is focussing on the landdeal that is suspected to be the reason behind gruesome killings. “During investigation we found that rumours on child lifting was usedan alibi to lynch the youths at both the places by vested interestgroups with some ulterior motives bent on disturbing peace of thesociety...

Read More

Page generated in 0.6864 seconds.