- Don't muzzle Constitution: Cong on Naidu's decision to reject impeachment notice
- Metro girder collapses in Ghaziabad
- CJI, other judges sat at 10.45 AM to undertake court proceedings
- Swamy hails VP's decision rejecting impeachment notice
- Shiv Sena leader Sachin Sawant shot dead in Mumbai
- Venkaiah Naidu rejects impeachment notice against CJI
Nirbhaya revisited: Girl gangraped, mutilated
In a replay of the December 16 Delhi gangrape, a 23-year-old girl was gangraped by seven men and brutally murdered with her mutilated body found on the outskirts of Rohtak district on Saturday. Two of the accused, one her stalker Sumit and his friend Vikas, have been arrested even as further probes are on.
Haryana Police officials said stray dogs had bitten off parts of the victim’s body. She had gone missing on May 9.
SK Dhattarwal, Head of the Department of Forensic Medicine at the Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences (PGIMS), Rohtak, said the post-mortem examination of the victim’s body indicated sexual assault, mutilation of private parts and murder. According to police, the victim’s head and face were smashed with a heavy object and crushed under the wheels to erase her physical identity.
Police said Sumit was a neighbour of the victim in Sonipat and had been stalking her for long and he was pressurising her to marry him but she had refused. Sumit planned the gangrape and murder to teach her a lesson with his friends, said police.
“This savage and bone-chilling incident has shocked the conscience of the nation, reminding each one of us about the crying need for revisiting the important issue of women’s safety and security,” Congress president Sonia Gandhi said in a statement.officials said that one of the arrested Sumit was a neighbour of the victim in Sonipat and had been stalking her. He was pressurising her to marry him but she had refused.
Police officials alleged that Sumit planned the gangrape and murder to teach her a lesson.
“This savage and bone-chilling incident has shocked the conscience of the nation, reminding each one of us about the crying need for revisiting the important issue of women’s safety and security,” Congress president Sonia Gandhi said in a statement.
- KMP Expressway: Rukawat ke liye khed hai 24 Apr 2018 | Parvesh Sharma
- AFSPA revoked in Meghalaya, part of Arunachal 24 Apr 2018 | PNS
- RoadWatch app saving wildlife from deathtraps 24 Apr 2018 | Sapna Singh
- ...soon after, judges confront CJI over Govt sitting on appointments 24 Apr 2018 | PNS
- BSY‚Äôs son won‚Äôt contest against Siddaramaiah Jr 24 Apr 2018 | Kestur Vasuki
- V-P junks CJI impeachment notice 24 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Connecting India: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly 23 Apr 2018 | ABHINAV SINGH
- At CPM helm again, Yechury vows to stop communalism 23 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Tackling youth radicalisation key security concern in J&K 23 Apr 2018 | Rahul Datta
- Vertical gardens get PMO push to curb city pollution 23 Apr 2018 | Rajesh Kumar
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | PTI | Ahmedabad
A mild tremor measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale was felt in parts of south Gujarat, including Bharuch and Surat districts, though no damage was reported, officials said...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
The first meeting of Acharya Shankar Ekta Nyas was held under the chairmanship of Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Monday at Chief Minister’s residence. Discussion on setting up statue, museum, institution establishment, premises construction, architectural style and vision, rules of the trust, administrative requirements, financial management and formation of executive committee was held in the meeting...