- India beat Bangladesh by four wickets to win Nidahas T20 Tri-Series
- Piyush Goyal junks report suggesting airline-like dynamic pricing in railway
- Bypoll defeats no referendum on BJP policies, programmes: Yogi
- NDA messed up economy, mismanaged JK: Manmohan Singh
- Putin eyes fourth term as Russians go to polls
- 3 AIIMS doctors enroute to Agra killed in accident on Yamuna e-way
- Five civilians killed in Pakistan firing on LoC
No Aadhaar-link deadline till validity ruling
The Supreme Court on Tuesday extended the March 31 deadline for mandatory linking of Aadhaar with bank accounts and mobile phones till the Constitution Bench decides on the validity of Aadhaar. As such, no Central or State Governments can insist on production of the 12-digit Aadhaar number for issuing Tatkal Passports or providing service under any other Government schemes.
This order by a five-judge Constitution Bench would benefit citizens in a big way as the deadline for linking bank accounts and mobile SIM cards with Aadhaar was approaching fast. The extension order, however, will not apply to social welfare schemes such as Public Distribution Scheme, LPG subsidy, where Aadhaar will remain mandatory to avail benefits or subsidy under the scheme.
Even as the Centre seemed keen to extend the March 31 deadline, confusion prevailed among citizens as numerous petitioners came to the court with applications citing instances where Aadhaar was mandated for issuance of several services under various Government schemes. On Tuesday, a lawyer filed such an application pointing to the Passport (1st Amendment) Rules 2018 that required Tatkal Passport applicants to submit the Aadhaar number. Without it, the request for issuance of passport was not being processed.
The Bench, also comprising Justices AK Sikri, AM Khanwilkar, DY Chandrachud, and Ashok Bhushan, asked Attorney General KK Venugopal whether it was true. The top law officer informed the Bench that such an order was passed in the interest of facilitating expeditious issuance of passport in order to benefit citizens. With this, he added, passport could be delivered prior to police verification.
The Bench referred to its December 15, 2017 order where it said neither the Centre nor the State Governments shall insist on compulsory production of Aadhaar number for any of its schemes. The A-G said this order was only with reference to linking of bank accounts and mobile SIM cards. Senior advocate Arvind Datar, who complained about the lawyer being denied passport, cited numerous other instances where Aadhaar was sought compulsorily for insurance claim, fixed deposits, NEET exam registration, and mutual funds.
“We passed our earlier order thinking that it will apply extensively to all fields. Now we have to say to the States and the Centre to hold your hands till we decide. Otherwise we will have one person or the other coming to us each day,” said the Bench. The A-G submitted that the Centre was open to extend the March 31 deadline but had reservation on discontinuing Aadhaar production for availing PDS and LPG subsidies.
The Bench accepted the Centre’s request and directed that except for the two schemes, Aadhaar will not be mandatory for any service or scheme till matter is finally decided by it. This will also include rules governing Tatkal Passport, it added.
- No more Thak Thak! Kingpin held 19 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Uber crisis stares in Ola users‚Äô face 19 Mar 2018 | Agencies
- One more graft case revealed on PC, Karti 19 Mar 2018 | J Gopikrishnan
- 3 kids among 5 of Poonch family die in Pak shelling 19 Mar 2018 | Mohit Kandhari
- Cong engaged in fake news, retorts BJP 19 Mar 2018 | PNS
- 3 AIIMS doctors killed in Yamuna e-way crash 19 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Rahul likens BJP, RSS to Kauravas 19 Mar 2018 | Deepak Kumar Jha
- Cold ‚Äėwar of nerves‚Äô between Moscow, London escalates 18 Mar 2018 | AP
- Pak banks on JeM not LeT to foment unrest in Valley 18 Mar 2018 | Rahul Dutta
- Opp spreading confusion about MSP to farmers: PM 18 Mar 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
18 Mar 2018 | PNS
AAI conducts international workshop for utilizing GAGAN In keeping with the Prime Minister’s objective of using technology as a means of development and co-operation, Airports Authority of India has now offered GPS-aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) to SAARC and Southeast Asian countries in order to allow them to reap the significant benefits that accrue from such an advanced navigation system. AAI conducted a two-day workshop on March 15 and 16, 2018...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Leader of the Opposition in the state assembly Ajay Singh said that the claims of women well-wisher Chief Minister Shivraj Singh are deceiving as miscreants with minor offences are arrested with immediate effect, but in the matter related to a minister's son, Chouhan says enquiry would be conducted He further alleged that prime facie, minister's son was responsible for Preeti Raghuvanshi’s suicide. Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan today instructed police officials to...