RBI scraps LoUs to prevent PNB fraud recurrence
In a major decision, RBI on Tuesday banned banks from issuing Letters of Undertaking (LoUs) — instruments used allegedly by diamantaire Nirav Modi and his uncle Mehul Choksi to defraud PNB of Rs 13,000 crore in connivance of bank officials.
The RBI said the decision to discontinue the practice of LoUs and Letters of Comfort (LoCs) for trade finance comes into force with immediate effect.
“On a review of the extant guidelines, it has been decided to discontinue the practice of issuance of LoUs/ LoCs for Trade Credits for imports into India by AD Category–I banks with immediate effect,” the central bank said in a notification.
Punjab National Bank reported fraudulent issuance of LoUs/ Foreign Letters of Credit for payment of import bills and fraudulent transactions in accounts, amounting to Rs 12,967.86 crore, to the RBI through its fraud monitoring reporting system.
A multi-agency probe, including by CBI and ED has been launched into the PNB fraud. The RBI notification further said that Letters of Credit and Bank Guarantees for trade credits for imports into India may continue to be issued subject to compliance with the provisions.
- No more Thak Thak! Kingpin held 19 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Uber crisis stares in Ola users‚Äô face 19 Mar 2018 | Agencies
- One more graft case revealed on PC, Karti 19 Mar 2018 | J Gopikrishnan
- 3 kids among 5 of Poonch family die in Pak shelling 19 Mar 2018 | Mohit Kandhari
- Cong engaged in fake news, retorts BJP 19 Mar 2018 | PNS
- 3 AIIMS doctors killed in Yamuna e-way crash 19 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Rahul likens BJP, RSS to Kauravas 19 Mar 2018 | Deepak Kumar Jha
- Cold ‚Äėwar of nerves‚Äô between Moscow, London escalates 18 Mar 2018 | AP
- Pak banks on JeM not LeT to foment unrest in Valley 18 Mar 2018 | Rahul Dutta
- Opp spreading confusion about MSP to farmers: PM 18 Mar 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
18 Mar 2018 | PNS
AAI conducts international workshop for utilizing GAGAN In keeping with the Prime Minister’s objective of using technology as a means of development and co-operation, Airports Authority of India has now offered GPS-aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) to SAARC and Southeast Asian countries in order to allow them to reap the significant benefits that accrue from such an advanced navigation system. AAI conducted a two-day workshop on March 15 and 16, 2018...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Leader of the Opposition in the state assembly Ajay Singh said that the claims of women well-wisher Chief Minister Shivraj Singh are deceiving as miscreants with minor offences are arrested with immediate effect, but in the matter related to a minister's son, Chouhan says enquiry would be conducted He further alleged that prime facie, minister's son was responsible for Preeti Raghuvanshi’s suicide. Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan today instructed police officials to...