RBI to withdraw pre-2005 currency notes
In a move aimed at curbing black money and fake currency circulation within the country, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on Wednesday decided to withdraw all currency notes issued prior to 2005, including Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 denominations, after March 31, 2014.
“After March 31, 2014, it (RBI) will completely withdraw from circulation all bank notes issued prior to 2005. From April 1, 2014, the public will be required to approach banks for exchanging these notes,” the RBI said in a statement.
Pre-empting the general mood post the announcement, the RBI notification asked people not to panic and cooperate in the withdrawal process.
The public can easily distinguish the currency notes issued before 2005 as they do not have the year of printing on reverse side. The year of printing in a small font is visible at the middle of the bottom row in notes issued after 2005, the bank said.
It added that old notes will continue to be legal and can be exchanged in any bank after April 1, though from April 1, 2014, the public will be required to approach banks for exchanging these notes. Banks will provide exchange facility for these notes until further communication.
From July 1, 2014, persons seeking exchange of more than 10 pieces of Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 notes will have to furnish proof of identity and residence to the bank.
Although the RBI did not give any reason for the withdrawal of pre-2005 currency notes, the move is expected to unearth black money held in cash. As the new currency notes have added security features, they would help in curbing the menace of fake currency. At present, currency notes in denominations of Rs 5, Rs 10, Rs 20, Rs 50, Rs 100, Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 are issued.
The central bank had earlier discontinued printing of Rs 5 note, but reintroduced this denomination later to meet demand.
- Delhi-Jaipur highway a model of excellence 27 Apr 2018 | Sapna Singh
- Kamal Nath to steer Cong in MP, Scindia to lead poll campaign 27 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Modi to review China ties from strategic angle 27 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Kejriwal orders magisterial probe 27 Apr 2018 | SR
- 7-yr-old dies, 17 hurt as milk tanker rams into school van 27 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Judiciary is in danger, says Cong; look who is talking, retorts BJP 27 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Govt has no choice if Collegium insists 27 Apr 2018 | PNS
- 13 kids killed on tracks as school cabby refuses to unplug earphones 27 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Govt objects to Justice Joseph‚Äôs elevation 27 Apr 2018 | Abraham Thomas
- Path-breaking initiative does the trick for Eastern Peripheral E-way 26 Apr 2018 | Chandan Prakash
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | PTI | Ahmedabad
A mild tremor measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale was felt in parts of south Gujarat, including Bharuch and Surat districts, though no damage was reported, officials said...
STATE EDITIONSView All
27 Apr 2018 | PNS | Haridwar
Uttarakhand State police district/ BN athletics meet 2018 kicked off on Thursday following its inauguration by the State Cabinet Minister Madan Kaushik. Speaking to The Pioneer, the commandant of 40 battalion of the PAC Haridwar RL Sharma said that the main events which were held on Thursday included 200, 800 and 1500 metres race, long jump, discus throw, hurdle race and pole vault...