SC rejects plea against waiver of tax on donation to political parties
The Supreme Court on Wednesday refused to do away with the exemption granted to political parties from paying tax on donations received into their party account.
A PIL filed by advocate ML Sharma had challenged this exemption under the Income Tax Act. Dismissing the petition, a Bench of Chief Justice JS Khehar and Justice DY Chandrachud said that the exemption was an “executive” action and cannot be faulted on the ground that only political parties enjoy this privilege.
Moreover, the SC found no material to suggest that the above exemption given to political parties went contrary to other provisions in the Income Tax Act or the Representation of People Act that allows parties to receive donations.
The exemption was contained in Section 13A of Income Tax Act that was challenged in the petition. The plea also sought a direction to the Central Bureau of Investigation to register an FIR and probe political parties and their funding in the wake of demonetization.
Sharma argued that political party as a term is not defined in the Constitution. But the SC replied that such terms are defined under statute as the Constitution even does not define Hindu Undivided Family (HUF), which too is entitled under law to receive money.
- Path-breaking initiative does the trick for Eastern Peripheral E-way 26 Apr 2018 | Chandan Prakash
- DMRC hikes parking rates by up to 67% 26 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Didn‚Äôt order Aadhaar-SIM link, Govt circular wrong, says SC 26 Apr 2018 | Abraham Thomas
- Hut to Rs 10k-cr-empire ride ends behind bars 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- T-Andhra Guv‚Äôs move kicks up political storm 26 Apr 2018 | Omer Farooq
- No Aasha for Asaram 26 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Man who planned to kill Advani held as plot to murder Modi goes viral 25 Apr 2018 | PNS
- SC bans construction in 1,797 unauthorised colonies in Delhi 25 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Parliament not immune to casting couch, says Renuka Chowdhury 25 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Call to reject Opp bid to oust CJI timely, not hasty: V-P 25 Apr 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | PTI | Ahmedabad
A mild tremor measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale was felt in parts of south Gujarat, including Bharuch and Surat districts, though no damage was reported, officials said...
STATE EDITIONSView All
26 Apr 2018 | ADREESH BHATTACHARYA | Ranchi
The Birsa Munda Bus Terminal at Khadgada from which numerous long route buses, including daily services to Delhi, Bhubaneshwar and Kolkata, operate will soon get shelter homes for the ease of passengers boarding and getting off in the wee hours. The Ranchi Municipal Corporation (RMC) has elaborate plans to make the inter-state bus terminal even more passengers centric so that this state of the art bus terminal can operate on...