- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
- Photo feature
- national interest
Setback to Mamata, HC allows RSS to hold Kolkata rally
The Bengal administration received judicial jolt for the second consecutive day on Friday with the Calcutta High Court setting aside police refusal of permission to the RSS to hold a meeting at the Brigade Parade Ground and allowing the organisation to hold the rally albeit with some riders.
The court not only granted the permission but also pulled up the Kolkata Commissioner of Police for showing his “bureaucratic arrogance” in not giving the permission and asked him to explain his conduct.
The court, however, imposed some conditions for the programme which it said should be held between 2 and 6 pm where only invitees would be allowed in. The organisation would have to give the names and addresses of the people attending the programme to the police, the order said.
No outsiders will be allowed in the programme, said the order, adding adequate security measure should be ensured. The BJP had earlier said the TMC was behind the police refusal of permission to the RSS to hold the rally.
The court had on Thursday overturned the Trinamool-
run Asansol Municipal Corporation decision not to allow MP Babul Supriyo to hold a Sansad Mela.
MORE Today's Newspaper NEWS
- A strong UP Govt would have stalled sabotage 25 Feb 2017 | PNS
- NIA team reaches Nepal to grill ISI brains behind train tragedies 25 Feb 2017 | PNS
- Indian techie shot in US hate attack 25 Feb 2017 | S Rajagopalan
- Don’t send your kids to US: Devastated dad 25 Feb 2017 | Omer Farooq
- Shocking crime, Govt will give all help: MEA 25 Feb 2017 | PNS
- 2 firefighters die in harness 25 Feb 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Sena, BJP play waiting game even as ties an Hobson’s choice 25 Feb 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- Uproar over Lipstick Under My Burkha 25 Feb 2017 | Agencies
- BJP gains, Sena retains 24 Feb 2017 | TN Raghunatha
- Lottery helps BJP raise tally by one 24 Feb 2017 | PTI
19 Feb 2017 | Kumar Chellappan
What will happen to the State politics after the weakening of the AIADMK? There is a positive consolidation of the DMK under the leadership of Stalin, which should be taken into consideration. One can only wait and watch, writes Kumar Chellappan It may not be out of place to write a requiem for a political entity called the AIADMK, which has been admitted to the critical care unit and connected...
25 Feb 2017 | PNS | Lucknow
IPS officer Amitabh Thakur and his wife activist Dr Nutan Thakur claimed to be giving `court arrest’ at district police chief’s residence on coming Sunday, to protest no legal proceedings in the alleged rape case filed against them about two years back. In a release sent through mail, the couple claimed that a FIR was registered in mysterious circumstances on 13 July 2015 immediately after Mulayam Singh threat, but no investigation...
My visit to Rwanda and Uganda was a conscious effort by the Indian Government to intensify interactions with Africa.
Media and social media have done best for small films... Creating buzz about the film without (we) having to invest.
We will hunt down and destroy the Islamic State at its source so that it can no longer threaten our nation or our families.