Sonia: We must not let India to be hostage to communal vision
A day before the Presidential polls, Congress president Sonia Gandhi slammed the ruling dispensation saying India cannot be let hostage to those who wish to impose a narrow-minded, divisive and communal vision. “We must stand more aware than ever of who we are, what we fought for in our Independence struggle and what future we want for ourselves. We must have confidence in the values we believe in,” Sonia stated.
Addressing Opposition leaders in the presence of their presidential and vice-presidential nominees — Meira Kumar and Gopalkrishna Gandhi — respectively, she said, the numbers may be against them but “the battle must be fought and fought hard”.
“We cannot and must not let India be hostage to those who wish to impose upon it a narrow-minded, divisive and communal vision,” she said.
According to the text of her speech, she said, “We must stand more aware than ever of who we are, what we fought for in our independence struggle and what future we want for ourselves.
“We must have confidence in the values we believe in. This election represents a clash of ideas, a conflict of disparate values. The election demands a vote of conscience to preserve the India that the Mahatma and that illustrious generation of freedom fighters, joined by thousands upon thousands of ordinary men and women, fought for.”
She said the presence of representatives from different parties to support Kumar and Gandhi confirms that “the fight for an inclusive, tolerant and pluralistic India is being truly waged”. The vice presidential poll will be held on August 5.
- Rs 19,000 crore black money of 700 Indians found abroad 22 Jul 2017 | PNS
- Fake Chinese parts in Bofors! CBI lodges FIR 22 Jul 2017 | PNS
- SC agrees to hear Ayodhya dispute early 22 Jul 2017 | PNS
- Cong‚Äôs Gujarat pillar falls 22 Jul 2017 | NAYAN DAVE
- Vijay turns 10, zoo throws birthday bash 21 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Don‚Äôt politicise lynching: Jaitley to Opp 21 Jul 2017 | PNS
- Consent for Aadhaar is not surrender of citizens‚Äô privacy: SC 21 Jul 2017 | Abraham Thomas
- withdraw troops, reiterates Beijing 21 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Indian troops must be captured or killed: Ex-Chinese diplomat 21 Jul 2017 | IANS
- India sends message loud and clear to China 21 Jul 2017 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
16 Jul 2017 | PNS | Lucknow
The Congress would launch a protest campaign both against the Centre as well as UP Government starting from next month. “People are feeling the pinch of unpopular decision of Modi Government like demonetisation, GST etc so now we will raise the people voice by protesting on all the district head-quarters in the State on August 9 on occasion of August Kranti Day”, disclosed chairman of the UPCC media...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Jul 2017 | PNS | Dehradun
To review the outcome of the ten-day cooperative conference/workshop, the Minister of State for cooperative Dr Dhan Singh Rawat convened a meeting on Friday in course of which he also assessed the preparation of Prime Minister insurance scheme for college students, slated to start on August 1. During the meeting, the officials apprised that they had organised workshops at 608 places across the State in which 2...