Spend night, N-E is not nightmare
Intensifying his Government’s ambitious ‘Look Northeast’ Policy, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has now made one-night stays mandatory for Union Ministers, who visit the North-Eastern States — a move aimed at sending out a message that the insurgency-hit region is safe for all.
Union Tourism Minister Mahesh Sharma, who visited Guwahati in the first week of April to be part of the Namami Brahmaputra Festival, said he will visit to Manipur on Saturday to attend the Shirui Festival, beginning on May 16.
Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju too was present during the Namami Brahmaputra Festival, which is the biggest river festival in Guwahati.
Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) Jitendra Singh also visited the region in the second week of this month to participate in a tourism event.
The directive comes two years after the PMO planned fortnightly visits of Union Ministers to the region.
Sharma said linking tourism and development in the Northeast and making it a tourist destination for people from all over the world is the “Prime Minister’s dream”.
“To ensure that, he has asked all the Union Ministers to not only take trips to the Northeast States, but also to stay the night there,” he said.
Sources in the Tourism Ministry say the Government is keen to change the popular perception about the Northeast as a “security nightmare” plagued with insurgency. “And what better way to showcase its safety than to have senior Union Ministers stay there overnight,” a source said.
The BJP’s MODI (Making of Developed India) Festival, scheduled to begin on May 26 to mark the third anniversary of its Government, is likely to be kickstarted from the Northeast by the Prime Minister.
- Thief caught with his pants down 22 May 2018 | Kanika Mehta
- Mayajaal to grab Govt house: BSP chief turns it into Kanshi memorial 22 May 2018 | PNS
- Nipah virus kills 10 in Kerala 22 May 2018 | Archana Jyoti/VR Jayaraj
- Cong-JD(S) Govt doomed without mandate: Shah 22 May 2018 | PNS
- Heatwave feared 22 May 2018 | Rajesh Kumar
- K‚Äôtaka power play in Delhi 22 May 2018 | Pioneer News Service
- Petrol zooms to Rs 76.24/L, diesel touches all-time high 21 May 2018 | PNS
- 7 policemen martyred in Naxal attack 21 May 2018 | PNS
- Delhi Govt stops restro-bars from playing recorded songs, music 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Gowda Jr to meet Sonia, Rahul in Delhi before swearing-in 21 May 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 May 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A women’s youth camp under Go Rurban camp with the objective to connect rural and urban youth together will be held at village Sijora district Dindori. The basic idea of the camp is to build a stronger bridge in order to fill the gap between rural and urban society...