Tirupati rises as one against Islamic varsity
Hundreds of activists of various Hindu organisations staged a demonstration on Sunday at Arani, the Silk Town, 132 km west of Chennai, in protest against the setting up of an Islamic university at the temple town of Tirupati, abode of Lord Balaji and Goddess Padmavathi.
People of all faiths and political affiliations in Tirupati, have expressed strong reservations against the Islamic university, which has been built on land belonging to a centuries old temple.
The Pioneer had recently published a report about Heera International Islamic College-Women's Arabic College and Nowhera Shaikh, a mysterious woman who is founder of the project. Sunday's demonstration, organised by Hindu Janajagruti Samiti, an umbrella organisation of various Hindu outfits, saw the participation of many sadhus and sannyasins.
“The Islamic university coming up at Tirupati is a hidden motive to destroy Hindu culture and temples. Babur came to India and built the Babri Masjid near Ayodhya, Aurangzeb built mosques near Kashi Vishwanath Temple and Mathura's Lord Krishna temple. We will not allow this to happen in Tirupati,” said Uma Ravichandran, co-ordinator, HJS.
She pointed out that Muslim residents of Tirupati have also come out openly against the Islamic university. “There are hundreds of local Muslims who worship at the Lord Balaji Temple everyday without fail. For them, the temple is part of their life and heritage. They are afraid that Islamists from West Asian nations would try to enforce Shariah law in Tirupati and that could lead to serious social problems,” said Ravichandran.
The demonstration and protests against the Islamic university has been launched with the blessings of various Hindu acharyas. “We called on Sankaracharya Jayendra Saraswathi, the pontiff of the Kanchi Mutt, and he asked us to go ahead with the protests,” she said. The next demonstration is at Madurai on October 25.
- Army’s vulnerable security needs fund boost 28 Apr 2017 | Rahul DattaMohit Kandhari
- Uri-2 in Kupwara averted 28 Apr 2017 | Khursheed Wani
- SC sends man to jail for backing out of offer to buy Sahara hotel 28 Apr 2017 | PNS
- PM gives wing to aam aadmi UDAN 28 Apr 2017 | Kamal Joshi
- Top winner leads race for SDMC Mayor post 28 Apr 2017 | Sapna Singh
- Vinod Khanna loses final battle to cancer 28 Apr 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- ...‘Amar’ to live forever in our hearts! 28 Apr 2017 | Rinku Ghosh
- BJP’s new brooms sweep Delhi 27 Apr 2017 | Pramod Kumar Singh
- How BJP scored a hat-trick 27 Apr 2017 | Pramod Kumar Singh
- Centre OK’s record 1L houses for urban poor 27 Apr 2017 | Rajesh Kumar
Sunday EditionView All
23 Apr 2017 | Ananya Borgohain
Author Pilar Maria Guerrieri discusses with ANANYA BORGOHAIN how the maps of Delhi from the 19th century onwards document the evolution of the Capital through the Mughal era, pre and post colonial periods, and the contemporary times Please tell us a little about yourself. I am an Italian but since my childhood, I have seen my parents travel to India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
28 Apr 2017 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
School Education Minister Kedar Kashyap on Thursday announced the results of the 12th standard examination conducted by Chhattisgarh Higher Secondary Board (CGBSE) in Raipur. The average passing percentage for the exam stood at 76...