What an Idea! Merger with Voda makes it top mobile operator
British telecom giant Vodafone and Kumar Mangalam Birla-owned Idea Cellular announced the all-share merger deal on Monday, creating the largest mobile operator by customer and revenue market share in the country. The mega entity is expected to create a telecom giant with its wide-ranging implications for the industry, services, the staff and consumers.
“The merged entity will be jointly controlled by Vodafone and the Aditya Birla group as per shareholders’ agreement,” said Idea and Vodafone in a joint statement.
As telecom industry is on consolidation move, besides this merger, its competitor Bharti Airtel has already bought Indian assets of Telenor, while Reliance Communication, Aircel, Tata Teleservices and MTS are in talks for merger.
Voda-Idea telecom giant will be headed by Kumar Mangalam Birla as Chairman and is expected to come into force over the next two years. Vodafone will have its nominee as the Chief Financial Officer, according to its Chief Executive Officer Vittorio Colao.
- Path-breaking initiative does the trick for Eastern Peripheral E-way 26 Apr 2018 | Chandan Prakash
- DMRC hikes parking rates by up to 67% 26 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Didn‚Äôt order Aadhaar-SIM link, Govt circular wrong, says SC 26 Apr 2018 | Abraham Thomas
- Hut to Rs 10k-cr-empire ride ends behind bars 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- T-Andhra Guv‚Äôs move kicks up political storm 26 Apr 2018 | Omer Farooq
- No Aasha for Asaram 26 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Man who planned to kill Advani held as plot to murder Modi goes viral 25 Apr 2018 | PNS
- SC bans construction in 1,797 unauthorised colonies in Delhi 25 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Parliament not immune to casting couch, says Renuka Chowdhury 25 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Call to reject Opp bid to oust CJI timely, not hasty: V-P 25 Apr 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | PTI | Ahmedabad
A mild tremor measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale was felt in parts of south Gujarat, including Bharuch and Surat districts, though no damage was reported, officials said...
STATE EDITIONSView All
26 Apr 2018 | ADREESH BHATTACHARYA | Ranchi
The Birsa Munda Bus Terminal at Khadgada from which numerous long route buses, including daily services to Delhi, Bhubaneshwar and Kolkata, operate will soon get shelter homes for the ease of passengers boarding and getting off in the wee hours. The Ranchi Municipal Corporation (RMC) has elaborate plans to make the inter-state bus terminal even more passengers centric so that this state of the art bus terminal can operate on...