What an Idea! Merger with Voda makes it top mobile operator
British telecom giant Vodafone and Kumar Mangalam Birla-owned Idea Cellular announced the all-share merger deal on Monday, creating the largest mobile operator by customer and revenue market share in the country. The mega entity is expected to create a telecom giant with its wide-ranging implications for the industry, services, the staff and consumers.
“The merged entity will be jointly controlled by Vodafone and the Aditya Birla group as per shareholders’ agreement,” said Idea and Vodafone in a joint statement.
As telecom industry is on consolidation move, besides this merger, its competitor Bharti Airtel has already bought Indian assets of Telenor, while Reliance Communication, Aircel, Tata Teleservices and MTS are in talks for merger.
Voda-Idea telecom giant will be headed by Kumar Mangalam Birla as Chairman and is expected to come into force over the next two years. Vodafone will have its nominee as the Chief Financial Officer, according to its Chief Executive Officer Vittorio Colao.
- TMC, Tamil Nadu Opp slam Centre 28 May 2017 | PNS
- Have a beef with Centre over ban: Kerala 28 May 2017 | VR Jayaraj
- Sunanda murder: Police form team to file report on hotel Leela’s plea 28 May 2017 | Souvik Mitra
- India signs maritime pact with Mauritius 28 May 2017 | Vineeta Pandey
- Natural gas business running out of steam 28 May 2017 | Madhusudan Sahoo
- Wani’s successor shot, one protester killed 28 May 2017 | Khursheed Wani
- 10 ultras killed in 24 hrs 28 May 2017 | PNS
- Terrorists use house of God for evil 28 May 2017 | Rahul Datta/Mohit Kandhari
- If Europe is to survive, it must root out jehadism 28 May 2017 | Swapan Dasgupta
- Govt keeps pet breeders, mills on tight leash 27 May 2017 | Rajesh Kumar
Sunday EditionView All
28 May 2017 | PNS | New Delhi
The Election Commission on Saturday made it clear that EVM challenge will be conducted within the framework of the existing administrative safeguards and security protocols. The commission said that it had never made a 'promise' to hold a “no-holds-barred hackathon” when it announced the EVM hacking challenge...
STATE EDITIONSView All
28 May 2017 | PNS | Jamshedpur
As the government appointed probe team reaches at crucial stage ofinvestigation, sources informed that the team is focussing on the landdeal that is suspected to be the reason behind gruesome killings. “During investigation we found that rumours on child lifting was usedan alibi to lynch the youths at both the places by vested interestgroups with some ulterior motives bent on disturbing peace of thesociety...