1st anniv of demonetisation: Cong to observe Nov 8 as 'Black Day'
The ruling Congress in Puducherry today said it would observe November 8, the first anniversary of demonetisation, as 'Black Day' with its allies here.
"The Centre's move to demonetise Rs 1,000 and Rs 500 currency notes on November 8 last year had crippled the economy, worsened the unemployment problem and failed to achieve its purpose in the country," Puducherry PWD Minister and PCC president A Namassivayam said at a press conference here.
He said a meeting of the Congress and its allies including the DMK had been convened on October 31 to discuss the various activities to be conducted as part of the protest against the note ban implemented by the BJP-led NDA government at the Centre.
Namassivayam, who also holds the Local Administration portfolio, said efforts had been launched to curb spread of dengue by eradicating mosquitoes through multi-pronged measures including fogging operations.
He said the government had brought in a ban on display of advertisement materials, banners and cut-outs by political parties, business sector and others in areas which were outside the designated areas.
"We will abide by the directive of the Madras High Court and ensure that the ban on display of graffiti is not violated," he said adding two days time had been given to all those, who had displayed such materials to remove them.
"We will take strict action against those violating the ban," he added.
- Mamata concerned over rise in petrol, diesel prices 20 May 2018 | PTI
- Congress-mukt Northeast after Mizoram polls: Amit Shah 20 May 2018 | IANS
- Congress accuses Modi of using petrol price as political tool, demands cut 20 May 2018 | IANS
- 18 people stranded due to unseasonal snowfall rescued in JK 20 May 2018 | PTI
- Ahead of swearing-in, Kumaraswamy to meet Sonia, Rahul in Delhi tomorrow 20 May 2018 | PTI
- China's gold mine at Arunachal border may become another flash point with India 20 May 2018 | PTI
- Karnataka development a victory for democracy: Rajinikanth 20 May 2018 | PTI
- India working on unmanned tanks, vessels, robotic weaponry for future wars 20 May 2018 | PTI
- Petrol, diesel in Delhi hit record highs 20 May 2018 | IANS
- Pak Rangers ring up BSF to stop firing as trooper killed, assets destroyed across IB 20 May 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 May 2018 | Ashis Sinha | Bokaro
More than dozens of the trains were affected after a traffic block conducted by railway on Bokaro-Kotshila rail block on Saturday. The traffic block was conducted to eliminate two unmanned railway crossing between Bokaro and Kotshila and to construct limited height subway there, informed S K Srivastava DRM Adra Division...