Afghan president inaugurates first air corridor with India
Afghan President Ashraf Ghani has inaugurated the first Afghanistan-India air corridor during a ceremony at the Kabul International Airport - a direct route that bypasses Pakistan and is meant to improve commerce.
Ghani says the aim of the route is to create more opportunities and make Afghanistan an exporter country. His adviser Sediqullah Mujadedi says Afghan agricultural products will for the first time head to India on cargo planes.
Mujadedi says the first India-bound flight on Monday included 60 tons of natural plants; a second flight will follow, with 40 tons of dry fruits to be sent form Afghanistan's southern Kandahar province.
Afghanistan is a mountainous landlocked country and all imports and exports depend on neighbouring countries. Relations between Kabul and Islamabad have become strained over accusations of harbouring militants.
- Dialogue not possible unless violence stops in Valley: SC 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- SC to tomorrow pronounce judgement on 'triple talaq' 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Steps to be taken to remove Sasikala from AIADMK: Vaithilingam 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- China blames Indian troops for Pangong Lake incident in Ladakh 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- SBI offers upto 100% waiver on processing fee on various loans 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- 3 newborns die; kin blame it on disruption in oxygen supply 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- CCTV shows Sasikala 'entering' central jail; DG says not aware 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Palaniswami inducts OPS in Cabinet, swearing in at 4.30 PM 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Amid Doklam stand-off, Chinese army holds military drill 21 Aug 2017 | IANS
- RS polls: Guj HC notices to EC, Ahmed Patel on Rajput's plea 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
20 Aug 2017 | AFP | Washington
The entire President’s Committee on the Arts and the Humanities, that includes Indian-Americans Jhumpa Lahiri and Kal Penn, has resigned over President Donald Trump’s controversial remarks after the racist violence in Virginia. In a letter signed by 16 of 17 committee members, including author Lahiri and actor Penn, Trump’s decision to withdraw from the Paris Agreement on climate change has also been cited as a reason for their resignation...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Aug 2017 | OP Agnihotri | LALKUAN
The 12,209 Kanpur Central- Kathgodam Garib Rath Express and 12,353 Howrah-Lalkuan super fast express, instead of their present route of Bareilly-Rampur-Lalkuan will ply on the Bareilly-Bhojipura-Lalkuan route. This decision of the railways will considerably decrease the distance between the two destination points and also result in noticeable time saving for the passengers...