- Don't muzzle Constitution: Cong on Naidu's decision to reject impeachment notice
- Metro girder collapses in Ghaziabad
- CJI, other judges sat at 10.45 AM to undertake court proceedings
- Swamy hails VP's decision rejecting impeachment notice
- Shiv Sena leader Sachin Sawant shot dead in Mumbai
- Venkaiah Naidu rejects impeachment notice against CJI
At EC hearing, Sasikala camp urges freezing 'two-leaf' symbol permanently
The second Election Commission hearing today over the AIADMK symbol war remained inconclusive today, with the V K Sasikala camp questioning the authenticity of the documents submitted by the rival group and demanding the 'two-leaf' symbol be frozen permanently.
Former law minister Ashwani Kumar, representing Sasikala and her nephew T T V Dhinakaran, argued the majority is on their side. He also disputed the authenticity of the affidavits filed by the other side -- the O Panneerselvam and E K Palaniswami camp.
"Unless the authenticity of the affidavits can be determined by the EC, there is no material before the commission to actually decide the matter of the majority support," he later told reporters.
He said the majority support under the party constitution can also be considered on the basis of the support of the primary members not only on the basis of general council members.
"At the worst, even if all our arguments fail, even then symbol cannot be granted to one faction and it has to be frozen," he said.
The hearing remained inconclusive and the matter was adjourned for October 23.
The Supreme Court has asked the poll panel to decide on the matter by November 10.
Senior AIADMK leader and supporter of the OPS-EPS camp, K P Munuswamy, said the Sasikala faction is losing the legal battle and that is why it was demanding to freeze the symbol permanently.
Counsel for OPS-EPS side and former MP Manoj Pandian said, "It is their attempts to delay the hearing process by questioning the authenticity of the affidavits. Despite their attempts to delay, we shall get the symbol," he said after the hearing.
During the last hearing on October 6, the OPS-EPS camp, which merged recently, had staked claim over the AIADMK and its 'two-leaf' election symbol before the Election Commission, claiming support of a majority of lawmakers and party cadre.
In an interim order in March this year, the Commission had barred the then rivals-- Palaniswami and Panneerselvam -- from using the party's name or its symbol in the R K Nagar assembly bypoll necessitated due to the demise of sitting lawmaker J Jayalalithaa.
The bypoll, for which the AIADMK had fielded Dhinakaran, was later cancelled due to alleged bribing of voters and is yet to take place.
Prior to the merger, the two factions led by Panneerselvam and Palaniswami, V K Sasikala had staked claim over the symbol. Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Palaniswami was then a Sasikala loyalist.
The poll panel had, however, frozen the symbol, pending decision on their pleas.
Later, a large number of legislators led by Palaniswami revolted against Sasikala, who is now in jail in a disproportionate assets case, and announced merger of the two factions.
Resolutions ousting Sasikala as interim general secretary and Dhinakaran as her deputy were also adopted at the party's general council meeting on September 12.
On September 14, representatives of Dhinakaran had approached the EC urging it to declare as invalid the general council meeting, citing a high court order that said any decision taken at the impugned meeting will be subject to the final outcome in the appeal.
- RoadWatch app saving wildlife from deathtraps 24 Apr 2018 | Sapna Singh
- Dead man gets justice from HC in 1993 rape cum murder case 23 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Bengal panchayat polls: One dead in violence on extended nomination day 23 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Rahul Gandhi questions Modi on 'spirituality in cleaning toilets' 23 Apr 2018 | IANS
- J&K Congress accuses BJP, RSS of communalising Kathua incident 23 Apr 2018 | IANS
- No objection if Jessica killer released from jail; have moved on: Sister 23 Apr 2018 | PTI
- World will hear "positive voices" against rising protectionism at Modi-Xi summit: China 23 Apr 2018 | PTI
- AFSPA removed from Meghalaya completely, partly in Arunachal 23 Apr 2018 | PTI
- SC to be moved against rejection of impeachment motion 23 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Save the Constitution is Cong's campaign to save dynasty: Shah 23 Apr 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | PTI | Ahmedabad
A mild tremor measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale was felt in parts of south Gujarat, including Bharuch and Surat districts, though no damage was reported, officials said...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
The first meeting of Acharya Shankar Ekta Nyas was held under the chairmanship of Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Monday at Chief Minister’s residence. Discussion on setting up statue, museum, institution establishment, premises construction, architectural style and vision, rules of the trust, administrative requirements, financial management and formation of executive committee was held in the meeting...