BCCI has not marketed Test cricket well: Gambhir
The BCCI may have created extremely popular and successful Indian Premier League (IPL) but the Indian board has not done "enough" to market Test cricket, revered by the purists, says former India opener Gautam Gambhir.
Known for his straight talking, the two-time World Cup winner put forth his point in presence of CoA chief Vinod Rai and CEO Rahul Johri.
"I don't think BCCI has marketed Test cricket as well as they have done with ODIs and T20s. I remember a Test match at Eden Gardens against West Indies (in 2011). India batting on the first day and there were 1000 people," Gambhir said.
"Imagine Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar, VVS Laxman playing and there are only 1000 people," the senior opener said during launch of cricket historian Boria Majumdar's book 'Eleven Gods and Billion Indians'.
Seasoned spinner Harbhajan Singh felt Test cricket should be taken to tier-2 cities but Gambhir said it's hardly a solution.
"I don't know but they have messed it somewhere. May be cut down on T20s and ODIs," the veteran of 58 Tests and 147 ODIs.
The former ICC 'Test batsman of the Year' also feels that playing white ball cricket before Test matches will be of little help.
India are schedule to play three Twenty20 and three ODIs before the five-Test series against England during their upcoming tour, starting June 27.
"Playing with red dukes in Test is completely different from playing white ball cricket. The three T20s and three ODIs isn't an indicator of how well you are prepared for the Tests," said the two-time IPL winning captain.
- MHA official, 3 others arrested for 'bribe-for-visa' case; orders inquiry 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Putin hails strategic partnership with India 21 May 2018 | IANS
- Modi invokes Vajpayee to assert India-Russia strategic ties 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Cong-JD(S) will give stable govt in K'taka: Kumaraswamy 21 May 2018 | IANS
- Informal summit takes India-Russia ties to new level: Modi 21 May 2018 | IANS
- Security forces have new mantra in Kashmir: Try to catch them alive 21 May 2018 | PTI
- K'taka Cong MLA says audio tape released by his party to frame BJP is 'fake' 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Dalit man beaten to death in Gujarat, 5 held 21 May 2018 | PTI
- PM Modi arrives in Sochi for informal summit with Putin 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Moody's downgrades PNB on the impact of Nirav Modi fraud 21 May 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 May 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A women’s youth camp under Go Rurban camp with the objective to connect rural and urban youth together will be held at village Sijora district Dindori. The basic idea of the camp is to build a stronger bridge in order to fill the gap between rural and urban society...