Bhogi celebrations smoke hits flight, rail services in Chennai
Early morning smog in the city and its neighbourhoods impacted rail and air traffic, as burning on the occasion of Bhogi affected visibility, officials said.
Southern Railway officials said "most" inter-city and inter-state trains arriving here suffered delays of "an average of 30-40 minutes," while outbound trains ran slow.
Suburban rail services were also delayed by about half an hour but resumed normal operations by around 9 AM, they added.
Airport officials said over 40 international and domestic services suffered cancellation and delay starting around 4 AM today, with flight operations finally resuming around 9.30 AM when the first service was operated to Mumbai.
Two flights bound for Sharjah and Doha were cancelled and the passengers were provided accommodation in the city.
As many as 42 services, both arriving and departing, suffered delays ranging from three and a half to four hours, following the thick cover of smoke and poor visibility, they said.
Earlier, 18 arriving flights were diverted to Bengaluru and Hyderabad airports. They flew in from various destinations such as Kuwait, Sharjah and Delhi.
Meanwhile, motorists plied their vehicles with their headlights on following the smog.
Sun came out shining around 8 AM, with visibility levels improving.
Bhogi, celebrated ahead of the Tamil harvest festival Pongal tomorrow, involves burning of old articles in a symbolic gesture of bidding adieu to the old and welcoming the new.
The government launches regular awareness campaigns ahead of Bhogi, aimed at smoke-free celebrations of the day.
- Amit Shah slams Assam's social media team 25 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Delhi HC stays cutting of trees till July 4 25 Jun 2018 | PTI
- SC to hear on plea of 18 disqualified AIADMK MLAs 25 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Five killed as rains clobber Maharashtra, road, rail traffic hit 25 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Shah asks workers to ensure 50 pc vote share; asserts BJP won't allow anyone to abolish reservations 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- PM Modi visits AIIMS to enquire on Vajpayee's health 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- FIR against former CM Siddaramaiah in land denotification case 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- 2 LeT militants killed in encounter in south Kashmir 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Mehbooba hits back at Shah 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Emergency turned democracy into constitutional dictatorship: Jaitley 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
24 Jun 2018 | PNS
Book on Renewable Energy Technology Released Hon’ble Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Power, New and Renewable Energy, Shri RK Singh released a book titled “Renewable Energy Technology” co-authored by Shri IS Jha, CMD (POWERGRID), Shri Subir Sen, COO (CTU Planning &Smart Grid) POWERGRID, Shri Manish Kumar Tiwari, Asst GM (Smart Grid) POWERGRID and Prof DP Kothari in the august presence of CMD, POWERGRID, senior officials of Ministry of....
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 Jun 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Recognising the intent and passion of the Central Sarna Committee in safeguarding tribal customs as well as in infusing modern practices into the tribal community, Chief Minister Raghubar Das called upon the people to extend their support to the cause. The Chief Minister, in the same breath, rapped 'anti-national' forces who he alleged are attacking open culture of the community and said that the Government is here to protect the rights...