Bhogi celebrations smoke hits flight, rail services in Chennai
Early morning smog in the city and its neighbourhoods impacted rail and air traffic, as burning on the occasion of Bhogi affected visibility, officials said.
Southern Railway officials said "most" inter-city and inter-state trains arriving here suffered delays of "an average of 30-40 minutes," while outbound trains ran slow.
Suburban rail services were also delayed by about half an hour but resumed normal operations by around 9 AM, they added.
Airport officials said over 40 international and domestic services suffered cancellation and delay starting around 4 AM today, with flight operations finally resuming around 9.30 AM when the first service was operated to Mumbai.
Two flights bound for Sharjah and Doha were cancelled and the passengers were provided accommodation in the city.
As many as 42 services, both arriving and departing, suffered delays ranging from three and a half to four hours, following the thick cover of smoke and poor visibility, they said.
Earlier, 18 arriving flights were diverted to Bengaluru and Hyderabad airports. They flew in from various destinations such as Kuwait, Sharjah and Delhi.
Meanwhile, motorists plied their vehicles with their headlights on following the smog.
Sun came out shining around 8 AM, with visibility levels improving.
Bhogi, celebrated ahead of the Tamil harvest festival Pongal tomorrow, involves burning of old articles in a symbolic gesture of bidding adieu to the old and welcoming the new.
The government launches regular awareness campaigns ahead of Bhogi, aimed at smoke-free celebrations of the day.
- India bowl out S. Africa for 258; need 287 to clinch second Test 16 Jan 2018 | IANS
- Delhi Assembly panel to look into sealing drive 16 Jan 2018 | IANS
- SC questions locus of BJP leader who filed appeal in Bofors case 16 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Congress hoodwinked people by laying foundation stones: Modi 16 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Benjamin Netanyahu, wife visit Taj Majal 16 Jan 2018 | IANS
- No Haj subsidy from this year: Naqvi 16 Jan 2018 | PTI
- US trying to convince Pak, India is not threat to Pak: Defence Minister 16 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Khattar govt bans release of "Padmaavat" in Haryana 16 Jan 2018 | PTI
- CJI met four senior-most judges of SC: Sources 16 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Trump goes after the Dem who surfaced his immigration remark 16 Jan 2018 | AP
Sunday EditionView All
14 Jan 2018 | AFP | Yangon
Myanmar’s civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi has welcomed an unprecedented army admission that security forces carried out extra-judicial killings of Rohingya Muslims as a “positive step”, state-backed media reported on Saturday. After months of staunch denials of abuse, the army on Wednesday said a probe found four members of the security forces helped kill 10 Rohingya militant suspects at Inn Din village on September 2, leaving their bodies in a...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Jan 2018 | PRAGYA PALLAVI | Ranchi
Annual Status of Education Report (ASER-2017) released on Tuesday covering 28 districts of 24 States on ‘Beyond Basics’- A survey of rural India youths, presented a gloomy picture of Jharkhand on a few basic parameters in comparison with the districts of Bihar, Odisha, West Bengal and Chhattisgarh. The survey based on 4 As (Activity, Ability, Awareness, Aspirations) covering the age group 14-18 years, Jharkhand lags behind in enrollment status, digital use,...