- India beat Bangladesh by four wickets to win Nidahas T20 Tri-Series
- Piyush Goyal junks report suggesting airline-like dynamic pricing in railway
- Bypoll defeats no referendum on BJP policies, programmes: Yogi
- NDA messed up economy, mismanaged JK: Manmohan Singh
- Putin eyes fourth term as Russians go to polls
- 3 AIIMS doctors enroute to Agra killed in accident on Yamuna e-way
- Five civilians killed in Pakistan firing on LoC
Bhogi celebrations smoke hits flight, rail services in Chennai
Early morning smog in the city and its neighbourhoods impacted rail and air traffic, as burning on the occasion of Bhogi affected visibility, officials said.
Southern Railway officials said "most" inter-city and inter-state trains arriving here suffered delays of "an average of 30-40 minutes," while outbound trains ran slow.
Suburban rail services were also delayed by about half an hour but resumed normal operations by around 9 AM, they added.
Airport officials said over 40 international and domestic services suffered cancellation and delay starting around 4 AM today, with flight operations finally resuming around 9.30 AM when the first service was operated to Mumbai.
Two flights bound for Sharjah and Doha were cancelled and the passengers were provided accommodation in the city.
As many as 42 services, both arriving and departing, suffered delays ranging from three and a half to four hours, following the thick cover of smoke and poor visibility, they said.
Earlier, 18 arriving flights were diverted to Bengaluru and Hyderabad airports. They flew in from various destinations such as Kuwait, Sharjah and Delhi.
Meanwhile, motorists plied their vehicles with their headlights on following the smog.
Sun came out shining around 8 AM, with visibility levels improving.
Bhogi, celebrated ahead of the Tamil harvest festival Pongal tomorrow, involves burning of old articles in a symbolic gesture of bidding adieu to the old and welcoming the new.
The government launches regular awareness campaigns ahead of Bhogi, aimed at smoke-free celebrations of the day.
- DK does it in style, India win Nidahas T20 18 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Rahul attacks Modi on corruption, promises galvanised party in 2019 'Kuruskshtra' battle 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Bangladesh set India 167-run target in final 18 Mar 2018 | PTI
- None can raise question on govt's integrity, intention: Rajnath 18 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Modi not fighting corruption, is corruption himself: Rahul 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Indian ethos includes respect for believers, non-believers: Dalai Lama 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Rahul Dravid files police complaint against ponzi firm 18 Mar 2018 | PTI
- BJP, RSS like Kauravas, designed to fight for power: Rahul 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- IITians should aspire to achieve best for society: President 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Demonetization was a greatest lie: Chidambaram 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
18 Mar 2018 | PNS
AAI conducts international workshop for utilizing GAGAN In keeping with the Prime Minister’s objective of using technology as a means of development and co-operation, Airports Authority of India has now offered GPS-aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) to SAARC and Southeast Asian countries in order to allow them to reap the significant benefits that accrue from such an advanced navigation system. AAI conducted a two-day workshop on March 15 and 16, 2018...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Leader of the Opposition in the state assembly Ajay Singh said that the claims of women well-wisher Chief Minister Shivraj Singh are deceiving as miscreants with minor offences are arrested with immediate effect, but in the matter related to a minister's son, Chouhan says enquiry would be conducted He further alleged that prime facie, minister's son was responsible for Preeti Raghuvanshi’s suicide. Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan today instructed police officials to...