Car explodes after hitting police van on Paris's Champs-Elysees: official
A car exploded and burst into flames after it crashed into a police van on the Champs- Elysees avenue in Paris on today, police and investigators said, adding that the driver was armed.
A source close to the investigation said the driver was "seriously injured".
Police said earlier that the driver was "on the ground... unconscious."
Police and judicial sources said they suspect the incident was a deliberate act.
The incident came just two months after a policeman was shot and killed on the world-renowned avenue, three days before the first round of France's presidential election.
A note praising the Islamic State group was found next to the body of the gunman, Karim Cheurfi, in that incident.
Police later found other weapons in Cheurfi's car including a shotgun and knives.
- Modi embarks on three-nation tour 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Srikanth reaches 3rd successive Super Series final 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Twin blasts rock market in Pakistan's north-west, 15 killed 23 Jun 2017 | IANS
- Punjab passes bill to enable hotels near highways serve liquor 23 Jun 2017 | PTI
- US will need India to counter China: US think tank 23 Jun 2017 | PTI
- All 45 elected members of GTA resign 23 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Mirwaiz calls officer's lynching 'brutal act' 23 Jun 2017 | IANS
- China still says no to India's NSG membership 23 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Mukesh Ambani blinks, drops gas price challenge against govt 23 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Kovind files nomination in presence of PM, NDA CMs 23 Jun 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | New Delhi
A police team, along with sniffer dogs, scanned the whole area of Bonta Park in Civil Lines on Saturday morning to get some clue about a woman murdered by her husband on Friday. After 12 hours search operation, police were able to find the body identified as Komal...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A farmer committed suicide in Chhatarpur district, allegedly due to over burdened with debt. While the family of Raghuvir Yadav, (27) alleged that he took the extreme step due to his mounting debt, the police said a family dispute led him to end his life...