Car explodes after hitting police van on Paris's Champs-Elysees: official
A car exploded and burst into flames after it crashed into a police van on the Champs- Elysees avenue in Paris on today, police and investigators said, adding that the driver was armed.
A source close to the investigation said the driver was "seriously injured".
Police said earlier that the driver was "on the ground... unconscious."
Police and judicial sources said they suspect the incident was a deliberate act.
The incident came just two months after a policeman was shot and killed on the world-renowned avenue, three days before the first round of France's presidential election.
A note praising the Islamic State group was found next to the body of the gunman, Karim Cheurfi, in that incident.
Police later found other weapons in Cheurfi's car including a shotgun and knives.
- Dialogue not possible unless violence stops in Valley: SC 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- SC to tomorrow pronounce judgement on 'triple talaq' 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Steps to be taken to remove Sasikala from AIADMK: Vaithilingam 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- China blames Indian troops for Pangong Lake incident in Ladakh 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- SBI offers upto 100% waiver on processing fee on various loans 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- 3 newborns die; kin blame it on disruption in oxygen supply 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- CCTV shows Sasikala 'entering' central jail; DG says not aware 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Palaniswami inducts OPS in Cabinet, swearing in at 4.30 PM 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Amid Doklam stand-off, Chinese army holds military drill 21 Aug 2017 | IANS
- RS polls: Guj HC notices to EC, Ahmed Patel on Rajput's plea 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
20 Aug 2017 | AFP | Washington
The entire President’s Committee on the Arts and the Humanities, that includes Indian-Americans Jhumpa Lahiri and Kal Penn, has resigned over President Donald Trump’s controversial remarks after the racist violence in Virginia. In a letter signed by 16 of 17 committee members, including author Lahiri and actor Penn, Trump’s decision to withdraw from the Paris Agreement on climate change has also been cited as a reason for their resignation...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Aug 2017 | OP Agnihotri | LALKUAN
The 12,209 Kanpur Central- Kathgodam Garib Rath Express and 12,353 Howrah-Lalkuan super fast express, instead of their present route of Bareilly-Rampur-Lalkuan will ply on the Bareilly-Bhojipura-Lalkuan route. This decision of the railways will considerably decrease the distance between the two destination points and also result in noticeable time saving for the passengers...