Car explodes after hitting police van on Paris's Champs-Elysees: official
A car exploded and burst into flames after it crashed into a police van on the Champs- Elysees avenue in Paris on today, police and investigators said, adding that the driver was armed.
A source close to the investigation said the driver was "seriously injured".
Police said earlier that the driver was "on the ground... unconscious."
Police and judicial sources said they suspect the incident was a deliberate act.
The incident came just two months after a policeman was shot and killed on the world-renowned avenue, three days before the first round of France's presidential election.
A note praising the Islamic State group was found next to the body of the gunman, Karim Cheurfi, in that incident.
Police later found other weapons in Cheurfi's car including a shotgun and knives.
- VP calls for mindset change for empowering widows 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Modi launches Mohanpura Irrigation project in MP 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Nepal to maintain close ties with India and China : Oli 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Calling Rahul jehadi-Maoist sympathiser is absurd: Chidambaram 23 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Trump declares NKorea still poses "extraordinary threat" 23 Jun 2018 | AP
- Modi to unveil several development projects in MP today 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Shah to address rally in Jammu tomorrow 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Indian contingent, part of UN peacekeeping mission, awarded 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Surat court issues arrest warrant against Nirav Modi 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- EC registers Haasan's party MNM 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Jun 2018 | PNS | Kochi
MCD still waiting for HC order on encroachment Dehradun: Days after the High Court ordered the officials to remove encroachment from different areas of Dehradun like markets, streets and footpaths in four weeks, the officials concerned said on Friday that they were still waiting for the order to come. They, however, assured that they would execute the order once they get a copy and read it thoroughly...