Car explodes after hitting police van on Paris's Champs-Elysees: official
A car exploded and burst into flames after it crashed into a police van on the Champs- Elysees avenue in Paris on today, police and investigators said, adding that the driver was armed.
A source close to the investigation said the driver was "seriously injured".
Police said earlier that the driver was "on the ground... unconscious."
Police and judicial sources said they suspect the incident was a deliberate act.
The incident came just two months after a policeman was shot and killed on the world-renowned avenue, three days before the first round of France's presidential election.
A note praising the Islamic State group was found next to the body of the gunman, Karim Cheurfi, in that incident.
Police later found other weapons in Cheurfi's car including a shotgun and knives.
- Rahul set to take over Congress' reins on December 16 10 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Modi talking only about himself on campaign trail: Rahul 10 Dec 2017 | PTI
- India to seek permanent solution to food stock issue at WTO 10 Dec 2017 | PTI
- BJP to see impact of demonetisation in Guj poll: Akhilesh 10 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Sonia will continue to guide destiny of Congress: Moily 10 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Maritime blockade would be declaration of war: N.Korea 10 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Islamic State is 'not yet defeated': May 10 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Goa:Cyclone-hit shacks having legal validity to be compensated 10 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Restrictions in Srinagar to prevent protest march 10 Dec 2017 | IANS
- 'Dangal' actor Zaira Wasim molested on Delhi-Mumbai flight 10 Dec 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
10 Dec 2017 | AFP | Seoul
North Korea blamed US "nuclear blackmail" for soaring tensions over its weapons programme in rare meetings with a senior UN official, but agreed to regular communication with the organisation, state media said today. Jeffrey Feltman arrived in Beijing today after wrapping up a five-day visit to Pyongyang aimed at defusing the crisis, just a week after North Korea said it test-fired a new ballistic missile capable of reaching the United States...
STATE EDITIONSView All
11 Dec 2017 | PNS | Ranchi
Minister of State for Civil Aviation Jayant Sinha on Sunday condemned the alleged molestation of Bollywood actress Zaira Wasim by a co-passenger on board a Delhi-Mumbai flight. The Minister has assured a fair enquiry into the matter and suggested that the actress should get an FIR registered first so that the process of investigation could be started by the competent authorities...