- S Africa widens hunt for Zuma allies to India, China
- India best placed to leverage technology: PM
- DMK to convene 'all-party' meet on Cauvery issue
- Pak charges Rs 2.86L as route navigation charges on PM flights
- Mentally challenged person shot dead near J&K Air Force station
- FIR against Rotomac promoter for Rs 800 cr bank fraud: CBI
- PNB fraud fallout: CBI seals Brady House Branch in Mumbai
Congress linking Ram temple issue with elections: Modi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday accused the Congress of linking the Ram temple issue to the Lok Sabha elections and attacked senior leader Kapil Sibal's arguments in the Supreme Court for deferring hearing the matter till after the 2019 polls.
"Yesterday in the Supreme Court, a Congress MP Kapil Sibal was arguing (which is his right) for the Babri Masjid. He is entitled to do that, but is it right for him to say postpone hearing till 2019?" Modi said while addressing a rally in Gujarat's Dhandhuka.
"Why does he have to link a Ram Mandir (temple) with elections. Is such thinking proper?" Modi asked from the crowd.
He also accused the Congress of linking the Ram temple issue with the elections.
"Now Congress links Ram Mandir with elections. They are least bothered about the nation," Modi said.
Modi's remarks came a day after Sibal while representing the Sunni Waqf Board on Tuesday urged the Supreme Court to defer hearing in the Ayodhya title suit till July 2019 when the next Lok Sabha elections will be over.
However, the demand was brushed aside by the court as it fixed February 8, 2018 for commencing final hearing in the case.
The Congress distanced itself from Sibal's stand saying it does not represent the party's stand.
Gujarat assembly polls will be held on December 9 and December 14.
- Guj municipality polls: BJP wins 47 bodies 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Robbers break into UP bank's locker room, steal money, jewellery 19 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Canadian PM holds meeting with Gujarat CM 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
- News about Indian banks taking hit of $3 bn is false: Finance Ministry 19 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Documents show larger conspiracy behind Gandhi's murder, SC told 19 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Karnataka legislator's son surrenders in assault case 19 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Irrespective of caste, creed, sex, religion India is one: Naidu 19 Feb 2018 | IANS
- India best placed to leverage technology: PM 19 Feb 2018 | IANS
- DMK to convene 'all-party' meet on Cauvery issue 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Pak charges Rs 2.86L as route navigation charges on PM flights 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Feb 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | Bokaro
A police team of Bokaro Thermal police station headed by inspector cum officer-in charge Parmeshwar Leyangi on Sunday morning conducted raids at Ganjutola in Armo forest area here and seized approx 2.5 tonnes of illegal coal along with their 4 motorcycles and 5 cycles,said Bokaro SP Kartik S...