Congress linking Ram temple issue with elections: Modi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday accused the Congress of linking the Ram temple issue to the Lok Sabha elections and attacked senior leader Kapil Sibal's arguments in the Supreme Court for deferring hearing the matter till after the 2019 polls.
"Yesterday in the Supreme Court, a Congress MP Kapil Sibal was arguing (which is his right) for the Babri Masjid. He is entitled to do that, but is it right for him to say postpone hearing till 2019?" Modi said while addressing a rally in Gujarat's Dhandhuka.
"Why does he have to link a Ram Mandir (temple) with elections. Is such thinking proper?" Modi asked from the crowd.
He also accused the Congress of linking the Ram temple issue with the elections.
"Now Congress links Ram Mandir with elections. They are least bothered about the nation," Modi said.
Modi's remarks came a day after Sibal while representing the Sunni Waqf Board on Tuesday urged the Supreme Court to defer hearing in the Ayodhya title suit till July 2019 when the next Lok Sabha elections will be over.
However, the demand was brushed aside by the court as it fixed February 8, 2018 for commencing final hearing in the case.
The Congress distanced itself from Sibal's stand saying it does not represent the party's stand.
Gujarat assembly polls will be held on December 9 and December 14.
- HDK to face floor test tomorrow; BJP throws gauntlet, fields Nominee for Speaker's post 24 May 2018 | PTI
- TN firing toll 13; Stalin, CM trade accusations on violence 24 May 2018 | PTI
- CS assault case: Sisodia to be quizzed tomorrow 24 May 2018 | PTI
- Centre working on long-term solution to fuel prices: Pradhan 24 May 2018 | IANS
- US Prez Trump cancels Singapore meeting with North Korea's Kim 24 May 2018 | PTI
- PNB fraud: ED files charge sheet against Nirav Modi, associates 24 May 2018 | PTI
- North Korea demolishes nuke test site with series of blasts 24 May 2018 | AP
- Rahul challenges Modi to cut fuel prices 24 May 2018 | IANS
- Missile that downed MH17 came from Russian military: Investigators 24 May 2018 | AFP
- Petrol price over Rs 85 in Mumbai, crosses Rs 80 in Kolkata 24 May 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...