'Daro mat', tweets Rahul after BJP moves EC against him
Rahul Gandhi today took a jibe at BJP for approaching the Election Commission to demand freezing Congress' poll symbol by alleging that he had violated the model code of conduct by linking his party symbol "hand" with religious figures during a speech.
"Dear BJP, daro mat (Dear BJP, don't be scared," he wrote on the micro-blogging site Twitter.
The tweet comes hours after a BJP delegation comprising Union ministers Prakash Javadekar and Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi lodged a complaint with the Election Commission against Gandhi and sought freezing of the poll symbol.
"The grand old party Congress' grand new leader has tried to give communal colour to the elections by his statement in which he co-related the Congress' 'hand' with various religious figures. This is a clear cut case of corrupt practice. There should be action against both Congress and its leader," Naqvi told reporters after filing complaint with Election Commission.
At Congress' 'Jan Vedna Sammelan' earlier this month, Gandhi had made comments co-relating his party's poll symbol 'hand' with gods, violating the provisions of the Representation of the People Act, 1951, model code of conduct and the guidelines issued by the Supreme Court, BJP has alleged in its complaint.
- Group led by Akhilesh is SP, entitled to 'Bicycle' symbol: EC 16 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Kejriwal gets bail in poll affidavit case 24 Dec 2016 | IANS
- Rahul Gandhi, Kejriwal wish President on birthday 11 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Be part of transforming digital India: Javadekar to academia 01 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Akhilesh replacing tyres of damaged cycle: Rahul 15 Sep 2016 | PTI
- Not blamed RSS for Mahatma's assassination, but people linked to it: Rahul 24 Aug 2016 | IANS
- Making Anandiben 'scapegoat' won't save BJP in Gujarat: Rahul 02 Aug 2016 | PTI
- Rahul blows poll bugle in UP, defends Sheila as Cong's CM face 29 Jul 2016 | PTI
- Rahul Gandhi targets Modi government over price rise 28 Jul 2016 | IANS
- Raising quality of education will be top priority: Javadekar 07 Jul 2016 | PTI
- Mamata concerned over rise in petrol, diesel prices 20 May 2018 | PTI
- Congress-mukt Northeast after Mizoram polls: Amit Shah 20 May 2018 | IANS
- Congress accuses Modi of using petrol price as political tool, demands cut 20 May 2018 | IANS
- 18 people stranded due to unseasonal snowfall rescued in JK 20 May 2018 | PTI
- Ahead of swearing-in, Kumaraswamy to meet Sonia, Rahul in Delhi tomorrow 20 May 2018 | PTI
- China's gold mine at Arunachal border may become another flash point with India 20 May 2018 | PTI
- Karnataka development a victory for democracy: Rajinikanth 20 May 2018 | PTI
- India working on unmanned tanks, vessels, robotic weaponry for future wars 20 May 2018 | PTI
- Petrol, diesel in Delhi hit record highs 20 May 2018 | IANS
- Pak Rangers ring up BSF to stop firing as trooper killed, assets destroyed across IB 20 May 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 May 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
With State’s biggest Urban Local Body (ULB) gearing up to conduct vendors’ committee election in June second week for formation of first Town Vending Committee, the members of Ranchi Footpath Hawkers Association covering quite a number of street vendors appear reluctant to take part in the upcoming election. Notably, as per the rule, allocation of shops to street vendors at the vendors market is done on the recommendation of the...