'Daro mat', tweets Rahul after BJP moves EC against him
Rahul Gandhi today took a jibe at BJP for approaching the Election Commission to demand freezing Congress' poll symbol by alleging that he had violated the model code of conduct by linking his party symbol "hand" with religious figures during a speech.
"Dear BJP, daro mat (Dear BJP, don't be scared," he wrote on the micro-blogging site Twitter.
The tweet comes hours after a BJP delegation comprising Union ministers Prakash Javadekar and Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi lodged a complaint with the Election Commission against Gandhi and sought freezing of the poll symbol.
"The grand old party Congress' grand new leader has tried to give communal colour to the elections by his statement in which he co-related the Congress' 'hand' with various religious figures. This is a clear cut case of corrupt practice. There should be action against both Congress and its leader," Naqvi told reporters after filing complaint with Election Commission.
At Congress' 'Jan Vedna Sammelan' earlier this month, Gandhi had made comments co-relating his party's poll symbol 'hand' with gods, violating the provisions of the Representation of the People Act, 1951, model code of conduct and the guidelines issued by the Supreme Court, BJP has alleged in its complaint.
- Group led by Akhilesh is SP, entitled to 'Bicycle' symbol: EC 16 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Kejriwal gets bail in poll affidavit case 24 Dec 2016 | IANS
- Rahul Gandhi, Kejriwal wish President on birthday 11 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Be part of transforming digital India: Javadekar to academia 01 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Akhilesh replacing tyres of damaged cycle: Rahul 15 Sep 2016 | PTI
- Not blamed RSS for Mahatma's assassination, but people linked to it: Rahul 24 Aug 2016 | IANS
- Making Anandiben 'scapegoat' won't save BJP in Gujarat: Rahul 02 Aug 2016 | PTI
- Rahul blows poll bugle in UP, defends Sheila as Cong's CM face 29 Jul 2016 | PTI
- Rahul Gandhi targets Modi government over price rise 28 Jul 2016 | IANS
- Raising quality of education will be top priority: Javadekar 07 Jul 2016 | PTI
- Fuel prices will come down soon: Pradhan 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- 3.5-magnitude quake rattles N Korea near nuclear test site 23 Sep 2017 | AFP
- Senior journalist, mother murdered in Mohali house 23 Sep 2017 | IANS
- We all lied about Jaya's health condition: TN Minister 23 Sep 2017 | IANS
- Does NKorean H-bomb threat push US closer to war? 23 Sep 2017 | AP
- Beware of 'fake' samajwadis, Akhilesh tells party members 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- ED files charge sheet against Kashmiri separatist leader Shah 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Arvind Subramanian to continue as CEA, gets 1-yr extension 23 Sep 2017 | IANS
- Britain's May asks for transition deal after Brexit 23 Sep 2017 | AFP
- Swaraj to address UN General Assembly tonight 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
24 Sep 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA | Mumbai
In a clear indication of an irreconcilable rift between it and its senior alliance partner BJP, the Shiv Sena on Saturday staged simultaneous protests at 12 places across the metropolis against the hike in prices of fuel, essential commodities and domestic gas cylinders. Amid intense speculation that Sena president Uddhav Thackeray — during his Dussehra rally to be held next week — might announce withdrawal of his party’s support to the...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Sep 2017 | PNS | Ranchi
Chief Minister Raghubar Das on Saturday said that the foundation for new power plant at Patratu — a joint venture of Jharkhand Government and National Thermal Power Corruption (NTPC) will be laid soon. During a meeting with NTPC Chairman Gurdeep Singh here on Thursday CM said that the plant will not only fill the energy gap in State but will also be able to supply power to other States...