'Daro mat', tweets Rahul after BJP moves EC against him
Rahul Gandhi today took a jibe at BJP for approaching the Election Commission to demand freezing Congress' poll symbol by alleging that he had violated the model code of conduct by linking his party symbol "hand" with religious figures during a speech.
"Dear BJP, daro mat (Dear BJP, don't be scared," he wrote on the micro-blogging site Twitter.
The tweet comes hours after a BJP delegation comprising Union ministers Prakash Javadekar and Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi lodged a complaint with the Election Commission against Gandhi and sought freezing of the poll symbol.
"The grand old party Congress' grand new leader has tried to give communal colour to the elections by his statement in which he co-related the Congress' 'hand' with various religious figures. This is a clear cut case of corrupt practice. There should be action against both Congress and its leader," Naqvi told reporters after filing complaint with Election Commission.
At Congress' 'Jan Vedna Sammelan' earlier this month, Gandhi had made comments co-relating his party's poll symbol 'hand' with gods, violating the provisions of the Representation of the People Act, 1951, model code of conduct and the guidelines issued by the Supreme Court, BJP has alleged in its complaint.
- Group led by Akhilesh is SP, entitled to 'Bicycle' symbol: EC 16 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Kejriwal gets bail in poll affidavit case 24 Dec 2016 | IANS
- Rahul Gandhi, Kejriwal wish President on birthday 11 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Be part of transforming digital India: Javadekar to academia 01 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Akhilesh replacing tyres of damaged cycle: Rahul 15 Sep 2016 | PTI
- Not blamed RSS for Mahatma's assassination, but people linked to it: Rahul 24 Aug 2016 | IANS
- Making Anandiben 'scapegoat' won't save BJP in Gujarat: Rahul 02 Aug 2016 | PTI
- Rahul blows poll bugle in UP, defends Sheila as Cong's CM face 29 Jul 2016 | PTI
- Rahul Gandhi targets Modi government over price rise 28 Jul 2016 | IANS
- Raising quality of education will be top priority: Javadekar 07 Jul 2016 | PTI
- CBI arrests Rotomac firm owner Vikram Kothari, son 22 Feb 2018 | IANS
- CBI busts Whatsapp-based global child porn racket 22 Feb 2018 | IANS
- India ascertaining how visa issued to Khalistan separatist 22 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Canada, India committed to diversity, trip yielded $1 bn investment: Trudeau 22 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Maldives President turns down UN Secretary-General's mediation offer 22 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Allahabad HC refuses plea against UP CM in 2007 riot case 22 Feb 2018 | IANS
- MEA ascertaining details from Mission on Atwal getting visa 22 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Delhi government staff to observe 5-minutes silence as protest every day 22 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Ajmal objects but Army defends chief's remarks on AIUDF's rise 22 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Come up with implementable plan to repay dues: PNB to Nirav Modi 22 Feb 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Feb 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | BERMO
A police team of Bokaro Thermal police station carried a massive raid at illegal coal dump yards near Jarandih railway siding and seized over 2.5 tonnes of illegally stem coal and arrested three persons here early on Thursday morning...