Defamation case against Rahul: charges to be framed in July
A magisterial court here today decided to frame charges against Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi in a defamation case filed against him by an RSS worker on July 28.
The framing of charges by a court in a case paves the way for start of the trial of those accused in that case.
Rahul did not appear in the court today and his lawyer filed an application for exemption for him from the appearance. The Congress leader was busy with political assignments, the lawyer said.
Granting Rahul exemption from appearance for today's hearing, the court posted the case for framing of charges on July 28.
Local RSS worker Rajesh Kunte has filed the defamation case against Congress vice president over the latter's speech in Bhiwandi on March 6, 2014 in the run-up to Lok Sabha polls.
During the rally, Rahul had allegedly said that "The RSS people killed (Mahatma) Gandhi."
The court had granted bail to Rahul in the case last November.
Rahul had said earlier that he won't apologise for his statement, as demanded by the complainant.
- Trivendra Singh Rawat sworn in as Uttarakhand CM 18 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Rahul congratulates Modi, BJP for wins in UP, Uttarakhand 11 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Amit Shah visits Mumbai RSS office ahead of Assembly results 10 Mar 2017 | PTI
- RSS sacks functionary who put bounty on Kerala CM's head 03 Mar 2017 | PTI
- People will take revenge on BJP for note ban: Rahul, Akhilesh 19 Feb 2017 | PTI
- BJP-RSS spreading hatred: Rahul 13 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Modi likes peeping into bathrooms, not doing his job: Rahul 11 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Akhilesh, Rahul call for crushing BJP's divisive politics 29 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Rahul on Badals: Sukhbir an icon of corruption 28 Jan 2017 | IANS
- 'Daro mat', tweets Rahul after BJP moves EC against him 17 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Dialogue not possible unless violence stops in Valley: SC 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- SC to tomorrow pronounce judgement on 'triple talaq' 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Steps to be taken to remove Sasikala from AIADMK: Vaithilingam 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- China blames Indian troops for Pangong Lake incident in Ladakh 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- SBI offers upto 100% waiver on processing fee on various loans 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- 3 newborns die; kin blame it on disruption in oxygen supply 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- CCTV shows Sasikala 'entering' central jail; DG says not aware 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Palaniswami inducts OPS in Cabinet, swearing in at 4.30 PM 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Amid Doklam stand-off, Chinese army holds military drill 21 Aug 2017 | IANS
- RS polls: Guj HC notices to EC, Ahmed Patel on Rajput's plea 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
20 Aug 2017 | AFP | Washington
The entire President’s Committee on the Arts and the Humanities, that includes Indian-Americans Jhumpa Lahiri and Kal Penn, has resigned over President Donald Trump’s controversial remarks after the racist violence in Virginia. In a letter signed by 16 of 17 committee members, including author Lahiri and actor Penn, Trump’s decision to withdraw from the Paris Agreement on climate change has also been cited as a reason for their resignation...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Aug 2017 | OP Agnihotri | LALKUAN
The 12,209 Kanpur Central- Kathgodam Garib Rath Express and 12,353 Howrah-Lalkuan super fast express, instead of their present route of Bareilly-Rampur-Lalkuan will ply on the Bareilly-Bhojipura-Lalkuan route. This decision of the railways will considerably decrease the distance between the two destination points and also result in noticeable time saving for the passengers...