Defamation case against Rahul: charges to be framed in July
A magisterial court here today decided to frame charges against Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi in a defamation case filed against him by an RSS worker on July 28.
The framing of charges by a court in a case paves the way for start of the trial of those accused in that case.
Rahul did not appear in the court today and his lawyer filed an application for exemption for him from the appearance. The Congress leader was busy with political assignments, the lawyer said.
Granting Rahul exemption from appearance for today's hearing, the court posted the case for framing of charges on July 28.
Local RSS worker Rajesh Kunte has filed the defamation case against Congress vice president over the latter's speech in Bhiwandi on March 6, 2014 in the run-up to Lok Sabha polls.
During the rally, Rahul had allegedly said that "The RSS people killed (Mahatma) Gandhi."
The court had granted bail to Rahul in the case last November.
Rahul had said earlier that he won't apologise for his statement, as demanded by the complainant.
- Trivendra Singh Rawat sworn in as Uttarakhand CM 18 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Rahul congratulates Modi, BJP for wins in UP, Uttarakhand 11 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Amit Shah visits Mumbai RSS office ahead of Assembly results 10 Mar 2017 | PTI
- RSS sacks functionary who put bounty on Kerala CM's head 03 Mar 2017 | PTI
- People will take revenge on BJP for note ban: Rahul, Akhilesh 19 Feb 2017 | PTI
- BJP-RSS spreading hatred: Rahul 13 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Modi likes peeping into bathrooms, not doing his job: Rahul 11 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Akhilesh, Rahul call for crushing BJP's divisive politics 29 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Rahul on Badals: Sukhbir an icon of corruption 28 Jan 2017 | IANS
- 'Daro mat', tweets Rahul after BJP moves EC against him 17 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Jaitley promises no surprises in GST rate fixation 28 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Malegaon: Purohit moves SC against Bombay HC order rejecting bail 28 Apr 2017 | PTI
- People in Karnataka faced corruption the most: CMS survey 28 Apr 2017 | PTI
- 12 new expressways to be constructed: Gadkari 28 Apr 2017 | IANS
- ED registers PMLA case in Narada sting involving TMC leaders 28 Apr 2017 | PTI
- US should review its options for dealing with Pak: Experts 28 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Gambhir to bear education expenses of children of CRPF martyrs 28 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Ready to talk to recognised pol parties in Kashmir: Govt to SC 28 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Delhi hawala operator held in Dinakaran bribery case 28 Apr 2017 | IANS
- Bhandarkar case: Starlet Preeti Jain convicted; gets 3-yr jail 28 Apr 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
23 Apr 2017 | Ananya Borgohain
Author Pilar Maria Guerrieri discusses with ANANYA BORGOHAIN how the maps of Delhi from the 19th century onwards document the evolution of the Capital through the Mughal era, pre and post colonial periods, and the contemporary times Please tell us a little about yourself. I am an Italian but since my childhood, I have seen my parents travel to India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
29 Apr 2017 | PNS | BHUBANESWAR
The much-hyped river Mahanadi-Godavari (MG) link move is in limbo as the Centre has decided not to undertake these two rivers’ connection in isolation. The MG link issue came up at a recently-held National Water Development Agency (NWDA) meeting, where Union Water Resources Secretary Amarjit Singh revealed, “MG link will not be taken up in isolation; rather water from Manas-Sankosh-Teesta-Ganga (MSTG) link will be made available in Mahanadi basin first including...