Dirty surrounding, open defecation behind children's deaths: Adityanath
Even as a magisterial probe is underway into the death of over 60 children, including infants, at the Baba Raghav Das Medical college in Uttar Pradesh's Gorakhpur, Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath on Saturday blamed lack of cleanliness.
Addressing a gathering at Allahabad, Adityanath told the gathering that the death of these children in his hometown was caused by filth and scourge of open defecation.
"There are vector-borne diseases, such as encephalitis, you must be hearing media reports of BRD medical college these days...it is a tragedy that lives of young children have been snuffed out at such young age because we do not lead a clean and hygienic life" he said while reminding the crowd that the the disease has been the bane of eastern Uttar Pradesh since 1978.
"Gandagi ki wajah se is desh ka baccha asamay kaal kalvit ho raha hai (Unclean surroundings are causing untimely death of children)," he said, while praising Prime Minister Narendra Modi and how his Swacch Bharat mission aimed at ridding people of the dirty and filth around them.
"The governments cannot be the problem, they are solutions and if they are problems in themselves they have no right to continue," he added.
- Virat, Anushka wed in Italy, begin new innings 11 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Jaitley rules out PM apology for targeting Manmohan 11 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Modi congratulates Rahul on elevation as Cong president 11 Dec 2017 | PTI
- India to play 81 matches at home from 2019-2023 11 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Rahul Gandhi elected as Congress president 11 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Congress demands apology from Modi over 'insinuations' on Pakistan links 11 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Shatrughan Sinha questions Modi over 'unbelievable' tales against opponents 11 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Waiting for answers on corruption allegations from 'Maun sahab', Rahul to Modi 11 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Delhi boy 'commits' suicide a day after locals try to molest his sister 11 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Why did Manmohan not show courage to order surgical strikes post 26/11: Modi 11 Dec 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
10 Dec 2017 | AFP | Seoul
North Korea blamed US "nuclear blackmail" for soaring tensions over its weapons programme in rare meetings with a senior UN official, but agreed to regular communication with the organisation, state media said today. Jeffrey Feltman arrived in Beijing today after wrapping up a five-day visit to Pyongyang aimed at defusing the crisis, just a week after North Korea said it test-fired a new ballistic missile capable of reaching the United States...
STATE EDITIONSView All
12 Dec 2017 | PNS | Dehradun
The Chipko Movement leader and noted activist Chandi Prasad Bhatt said that the Himalayan region is experiencing the effects of lack of political will and absence of ground level implementation of various environmental laws. He said this while delivering the second RS Tolia memorial lecture on the occasion of International Mountain Day at the regional science centre of the Uttarakhand State Council for Science and Technology (UCOST) here on Monday...