EC to announce schedule for its 'EVM challenge' tomorrow
The Election Commission will tomorrow announce the schedule for its challenge to tamper with its electronic voting machines.
At an all-party meeting on May 12, Chief Election Commissioner Nasim Zaidi had said a "challenge" was on the cards for political parties to prove that EVMs used in the recent assembly polls were tampered with.
He had also said that parties can try and prove that EVMs can be tampered with even under strict technical and administrative safeguards as applicable during elections.
In 2009, the Commission had held a similar challenge and it claims no one was able to tamper with its machines. Then 100 EVMs from various parts of the country were brought to Vigyan Bhawan here for the challenge.
A demonstration of EVMs and paper trail machines has also been organised by the Commission before the press conference planned tomorrow afternoon.
At the all-party meet, most of the parties said future elections should be held using EVMs provided they are attached to paper trail machines.
There were, however, some parties whose representatives said their faith in the machines has eroded and the EC should revert to the old ballot paper system.
While the BJP, CPI, CPI (M), AIADMK, DMK, NCP and JD(U) clearly supported the use of EVMs, provided paper trail machines are attached to it, BSP, AAP, Trinamool Congress said the paper ballot system was better and more transparent.
The Congress was of the view that if EVMs are used there should be transparency at every level so that political parties and voters are separately convinced about the reliability of the machine.
It said the Supreme Court has been stressing on more transparency, which necessarily does not mean use of EVMs. It said the use of paper trail machines with all EVMs in future elections was fine.
The BSP and the AAP had alleged that the machines used in the recent assembly elections in Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Manipur, Goa and Punjab were tampered with to favour the BJP. Later, several other parties had joined the chorus and urged the EC to revert to paper ballots.
- Kapil Mishra swoons after mounting attack on AAP 14 May 2017 | PTI
- EC backed out of 'hackathon', it's sad: Kejriwal 12 May 2017 | PTI
- AAP "rigs" EVM in Delhi assembly, EC calls it "duplicate" gadget 09 May 2017 | PTI
- Meet BJP booth-level workers to know reason behind win:Shah to Kejriwal 02 May 2017 | PTI
- EC clears Sisodia in office of profit case 30 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Disqualify candidates named in charge sheets for bribing voters: EC to tell govt 30 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Dhinakaran case: Delhi police quiz men on cash trail trajectory 29 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Two days before MCD poll verdict, AAP smells rat 24 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Time running out, need to buy paper trail machines now: CEC to Govt 16 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Farooq Abdullah wins Srinagar Lok Sabha bypoll 15 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Chinese daily says Doval 'main schemer', he can't end border row 25 Jul 2017 | IANS
- Diversity is key to India's success: Prez Ram Nath Kovind 25 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Change of guard at Rashtrapati Bhavan begins with knock on the door 25 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Armed forces sufficiently equipped: Defence Minister Jaitley 25 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Ram Nath Kovind is India's 14th president 25 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Seven killed in Mumbai building collapse 25 Jul 2017 | IANS
- Nifty breaches 10,000 mark, Sensex at new high on fund inflows 25 Jul 2017 | PTI
- China resorting to 'coercive practices' to achieve goals: CIA 25 Jul 2017 | PTI
- FM introduces bill to replace Banking Regulation Ordinance 24 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Free public discourse from violence: Mukherjee in last address to nation as president 24 Jul 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
23 Jul 2017 | IANS | New Delhi
Only 349 of 4,862 India's large dams have emergency disaster action plans in place, the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India's performance report on flood control and management schemes of the Water Resources Ministry has revealed. "Out of 4,862 large dams, emergency action plans or disaster management plans of only 349 dams, which is seven per cent, were prepared (March 2016)...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 Jul 2017 | PNS | HAZARIBAGH
The Hazaribagh district unit of Sanskar Bharti organized Rangoli-Mehndi competition in the premises of Hindu +2 High School. Despite continuous rain 140 participated in the Rangoli competition and 78 in Mehndi competition...