EC to announce schedule for its 'EVM challenge' tomorrow
The Election Commission will tomorrow announce the schedule for its challenge to tamper with its electronic voting machines.
At an all-party meeting on May 12, Chief Election Commissioner Nasim Zaidi had said a "challenge" was on the cards for political parties to prove that EVMs used in the recent assembly polls were tampered with.
He had also said that parties can try and prove that EVMs can be tampered with even under strict technical and administrative safeguards as applicable during elections.
In 2009, the Commission had held a similar challenge and it claims no one was able to tamper with its machines. Then 100 EVMs from various parts of the country were brought to Vigyan Bhawan here for the challenge.
A demonstration of EVMs and paper trail machines has also been organised by the Commission before the press conference planned tomorrow afternoon.
At the all-party meet, most of the parties said future elections should be held using EVMs provided they are attached to paper trail machines.
There were, however, some parties whose representatives said their faith in the machines has eroded and the EC should revert to the old ballot paper system.
While the BJP, CPI, CPI (M), AIADMK, DMK, NCP and JD(U) clearly supported the use of EVMs, provided paper trail machines are attached to it, BSP, AAP, Trinamool Congress said the paper ballot system was better and more transparent.
The Congress was of the view that if EVMs are used there should be transparency at every level so that political parties and voters are separately convinced about the reliability of the machine.
It said the Supreme Court has been stressing on more transparency, which necessarily does not mean use of EVMs. It said the use of paper trail machines with all EVMs in future elections was fine.
The BSP and the AAP had alleged that the machines used in the recent assembly elections in Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Manipur, Goa and Punjab were tampered with to favour the BJP. Later, several other parties had joined the chorus and urged the EC to revert to paper ballots.
- Kapil Mishra swoons after mounting attack on AAP 14 May 2017 | PTI
- EC backed out of 'hackathon', it's sad: Kejriwal 12 May 2017 | PTI
- AAP "rigs" EVM in Delhi assembly, EC calls it "duplicate" gadget 09 May 2017 | PTI
- Meet BJP booth-level workers to know reason behind win:Shah to Kejriwal 02 May 2017 | PTI
- EC clears Sisodia in office of profit case 30 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Disqualify candidates named in charge sheets for bribing voters: EC to tell govt 30 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Dhinakaran case: Delhi police quiz men on cash trail trajectory 29 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Two days before MCD poll verdict, AAP smells rat 24 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Time running out, need to buy paper trail machines now: CEC to Govt 16 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Farooq Abdullah wins Srinagar Lok Sabha bypoll 15 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Steep fare hike will 'kill' Delhi Metro: Kejriwal 25 Nov 2017 | PTI
- PM reviews steps taken to reduce under-nutrition 25 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Pakistan justifies Hafiz Saeed's release 25 Nov 2017 | PTI
- President urges legal fraternity to provide free services to poor 25 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Egypt army launches offensive against militants after deadly mosque attack 25 Nov 2017 | PTI
- 184 killed in militant attack on Egypt mosque 24 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Congress wants to break Army's morale, says Sitharaman 24 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Indian bowlers skittle out defensive Sri Lanka for 205 24 Nov 2017 | PTI
- National opposition should work together to challenge Modi 24 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Emmerson Mnangagwa sworn in as Zimbabwe President 24 Nov 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
19 Nov 2017 | PNS | GANDHINAGAR
Addressing a gathering of people via video conferencing in Bharuch district of poll-bound Gujarat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday asked them to unite against casteism, terrorism, black money, corruption and communalism. “It is a strange environment…We must hold each others hand and move ahead…...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Gautam Nagar police have nabbed a miscreant on Friday on the charge of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl at Gautam Nagar on Friday. Police said that the accused Raj Sharma sexually assaulted the victim who was on her way home in the afternoon...