- Always wanted to join the Army: Gen Bipin Rawat
- Russian interference had no impact on US presidential polls: Trump
- PM Modi holds 'substantiative' talks with Iran Prez
- Arvinder Singh Lovely rejoins Congress
- CBI arrests 2 PNB officials, authorised signatory of Nirav Modi company
- Cheating case: Developer DS Kulkarni detained in Delhi
- Sex ratio at birth dips in 17 of 21 large states, Guj records 53 points fall
- I don't feel like competing with anyone: Kohli
- Poll candidates must disclose source of income: SC
- CBI approaches Interpol to locate Nirav Modi
- SC reduces TN's Cauvery water share
EC to announce schedule for its 'EVM challenge' tomorrow
The Election Commission will tomorrow announce the schedule for its challenge to tamper with its electronic voting machines.
At an all-party meeting on May 12, Chief Election Commissioner Nasim Zaidi had said a "challenge" was on the cards for political parties to prove that EVMs used in the recent assembly polls were tampered with.
He had also said that parties can try and prove that EVMs can be tampered with even under strict technical and administrative safeguards as applicable during elections.
In 2009, the Commission had held a similar challenge and it claims no one was able to tamper with its machines. Then 100 EVMs from various parts of the country were brought to Vigyan Bhawan here for the challenge.
A demonstration of EVMs and paper trail machines has also been organised by the Commission before the press conference planned tomorrow afternoon.
At the all-party meet, most of the parties said future elections should be held using EVMs provided they are attached to paper trail machines.
There were, however, some parties whose representatives said their faith in the machines has eroded and the EC should revert to the old ballot paper system.
While the BJP, CPI, CPI (M), AIADMK, DMK, NCP and JD(U) clearly supported the use of EVMs, provided paper trail machines are attached to it, BSP, AAP, Trinamool Congress said the paper ballot system was better and more transparent.
The Congress was of the view that if EVMs are used there should be transparency at every level so that political parties and voters are separately convinced about the reliability of the machine.
It said the Supreme Court has been stressing on more transparency, which necessarily does not mean use of EVMs. It said the use of paper trail machines with all EVMs in future elections was fine.
The BSP and the AAP had alleged that the machines used in the recent assembly elections in Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Manipur, Goa and Punjab were tampered with to favour the BJP. Later, several other parties had joined the chorus and urged the EC to revert to paper ballots.
- Kapil Mishra swoons after mounting attack on AAP 14 May 2017 | PTI
- EC backed out of 'hackathon', it's sad: Kejriwal 12 May 2017 | PTI
- AAP "rigs" EVM in Delhi assembly, EC calls it "duplicate" gadget 09 May 2017 | PTI
- Meet BJP booth-level workers to know reason behind win:Shah to Kejriwal 02 May 2017 | PTI
- EC clears Sisodia in office of profit case 30 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Disqualify candidates named in charge sheets for bribing voters: EC to tell govt 30 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Dhinakaran case: Delhi police quiz men on cash trail trajectory 29 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Two days before MCD poll verdict, AAP smells rat 24 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Time running out, need to buy paper trail machines now: CEC to Govt 16 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Farooq Abdullah wins Srinagar Lok Sabha bypoll 15 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Merged with ruling faction on Modi's advice: Panneerselvam 17 Feb 2018 | IANS
- 21 more PNB fraud-related raids, property worth Rs 5,674 seized so far, says ED 17 Feb 2018 | IANS
- India, Iran sign nine agreements, agree to stop terror forces 17 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Earlier Congress used to benefit from scams, now BJP does: Kejriwal 17 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Cut in quantum of Cauvery water disappointing: TN CM 17 Feb 2018 | PTI
- 7.2-magnitude quake jolts Mexico, no casualties reported 17 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Russian interference had no impact on US presidential polls: Trump 17 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Six auto-rickshaw owners booked for fabricating documents 17 Feb 2018 | PTI
- PM Modi holds 'substantiative' talks with Iran Prez 17 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Arvinder Singh Lovely rejoins Congress 17 Feb 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | IANS | Jaipur
At least nine persons were killed and 18 others injured when two LPG cylinders exploded at a wedding in Beawar in Rajasthan's Ajmer district, police said on Saturday. According to police, six persons were referred to a hospital in Ajmer while 12 were referred to the district hospital in Beawar...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Madhya Pradesh Government has worked with dedication in education, health, food, agriculture, irrigation and tribal welfare, said Public Relations Minister Narottam Mishra while addressing public meeting during campaigning for Kolaras by-election. Minister Mishra addressed meetings at Khatorda, Barod, Hairpur, Emloda and Toria regions...