ED files PMLA case against Karti Chidambaram, others
The Enforcement Directorate (ED) has registered a money laundering case against Karti Chidambaram, son of former finance minister P Chidambaram, and others, taking cognisance of a recent CBI FIR against them.
Officials said the central probe agency registered an Enforcement Case Information Report (ECIR), ED's equivalent of a police FIR, against the accused named in the CBI complaint including Karti, INX media and its directors, Peter and Indrani Mukerjea, and others.
The ECIR has been registered under the provisions of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA), they said.
They said the ED will probe the alleged "proceeds of crime" generated in this case and may also attach assets of the various accused.
It is the ED which had provided information about the alleged illegal payments made by INX media, based on which the CBI had filed its FIR.
The CBI, on Tuesday, had carried out searches at the homes and offices of Karti across four cities for allegedly receiving money from the media firm owned by the Mukerjeas to scuttle a tax probe.
The Chidambarams had denied all the charges made against them.
The CBI had filed an FIR against Karti and the Mukerjeas on charges of criminal conspiracy, cheating, receiving illegal gratification, influencing public servants and criminal misconduct.
It is alleged that Karti received money from INX Media for using his influence to manipulate a tax probe against it in a case of violation of Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) conditions to receive investment from Mauritius.
The CBI had also recovered vouchers of Rs 10 lakh which were allegedly paid for the services.
These vouchers were issued in favour of Advantage Strategic Consulting (P) Limited, a firm "indirectly" owned by Karti, the CBI had alleged.
The senior Chidambaram, after the CBI searches on May 16, had issued a strong statement in response to the raids saying that the government was using the CBI and other agencies to target his son.
FIPB approval was granted in "hundreds of cases", the senior Congress leader had said.
The CBI FIR was made out against Karti, his company Chess Management Services, the Mukerjeas (currently in jail on charges of murder their daughter Sheena Bora), INX Media, Advantage Strategic Consulting Services and its director Padma Vishwanathan.
- France's Macron appoints centre-right PM to widen appeal 15 May 2017 | AFP
- Confidence vote stalled after ruckus by opposition 18 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Centre will support TN govt irrespective of who CM is: Naidu 17 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Delhi govt to take school heads to task for indiscipline 29 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Mamata threatens to demonstrate outside PM's residence 28 Nov 2016 | PTI
- Sunanda Pushkar case: Officer part of initial probe team to return 26 Nov 2016 | PTI
- Mallya PMLA case: ED to attach fresh assets 11 Sep 2016 | PTI
- Bhujbal PMLA case: ED attaches Rs 90 crore assets 11 Aug 2016 | PTI
- Sheena Bora case: Court rejects Sanjeev Khanna's bail plea 29 Jul 2016 | PTI
- Govt asks its diplomats in Pak to send wards outside for studies 25 Jul 2016 | PTI
- 'Musharraf claims Zardari responsible for Benazir's killing' 21 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Rescuers in grim search for survivors of Mexico quake 21 Sep 2017 | AFP
- SC warns BCCI officials over draft constitution 21 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Rane quits Cong, says it didn't keep promise of making him CM 21 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Kejriwal invites Kamal to joint active politics 21 Sep 2017 | IANS
- HC allows Durga idol immersion on all days, including Muharram 21 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Dawood in 'setting' with government to return to India: Raj Thackeray 21 Sep 2017 | IANS
- Sonia writes to Modi on women's reservation bill 21 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Three killed, 30 injured in Kashmir grenade attack 21 Sep 2017 | IANS
- CBI arrests retired HC judge, 4 others in corruption case 21 Sep 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter | New Delhi
A 38-year-old man has been arrested by the Farsh Bazaar police for allegedly duping people coming to ATM and fraudulently withdrawing their money. Twelve ATM cards have been recovered from his possession...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Sep 2017 | PNS | Ranchi
With the objective to create awareness among the budding football stars of the Capital City and to motivate the footballers of the U/17 age group, Delhi Public School in association with Hermes Voyage Kolkata will host its first ever Inter School Football Tournament: ‘Ranchi Cup-2017’. The tournament will be organised on the campus premises on September 21 and September 22...