ED files PMLA case against Karti Chidambaram, others
The Enforcement Directorate (ED) has registered a money laundering case against Karti Chidambaram, son of former finance minister P Chidambaram, and others, taking cognisance of a recent CBI FIR against them.
Officials said the central probe agency registered an Enforcement Case Information Report (ECIR), ED's equivalent of a police FIR, against the accused named in the CBI complaint including Karti, INX media and its directors, Peter and Indrani Mukerjea, and others.
The ECIR has been registered under the provisions of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA), they said.
They said the ED will probe the alleged "proceeds of crime" generated in this case and may also attach assets of the various accused.
It is the ED which had provided information about the alleged illegal payments made by INX media, based on which the CBI had filed its FIR.
The CBI, on Tuesday, had carried out searches at the homes and offices of Karti across four cities for allegedly receiving money from the media firm owned by the Mukerjeas to scuttle a tax probe.
The Chidambarams had denied all the charges made against them.
The CBI had filed an FIR against Karti and the Mukerjeas on charges of criminal conspiracy, cheating, receiving illegal gratification, influencing public servants and criminal misconduct.
It is alleged that Karti received money from INX Media for using his influence to manipulate a tax probe against it in a case of violation of Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) conditions to receive investment from Mauritius.
The CBI had also recovered vouchers of Rs 10 lakh which were allegedly paid for the services.
These vouchers were issued in favour of Advantage Strategic Consulting (P) Limited, a firm "indirectly" owned by Karti, the CBI had alleged.
The senior Chidambaram, after the CBI searches on May 16, had issued a strong statement in response to the raids saying that the government was using the CBI and other agencies to target his son.
FIPB approval was granted in "hundreds of cases", the senior Congress leader had said.
The CBI FIR was made out against Karti, his company Chess Management Services, the Mukerjeas (currently in jail on charges of murder their daughter Sheena Bora), INX Media, Advantage Strategic Consulting Services and its director Padma Vishwanathan.
- France's Macron appoints centre-right PM to widen appeal 15 May 2017 | AFP
- Confidence vote stalled after ruckus by opposition 18 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Centre will support TN govt irrespective of who CM is: Naidu 17 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Delhi govt to take school heads to task for indiscipline 29 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Mamata threatens to demonstrate outside PM's residence 28 Nov 2016 | PTI
- Sunanda Pushkar case: Officer part of initial probe team to return 26 Nov 2016 | PTI
- Mallya PMLA case: ED to attach fresh assets 11 Sep 2016 | PTI
- Bhujbal PMLA case: ED attaches Rs 90 crore assets 11 Aug 2016 | PTI
- Sheena Bora case: Court rejects Sanjeev Khanna's bail plea 29 Jul 2016 | PTI
- Govt asks its diplomats in Pak to send wards outside for studies 25 Jul 2016 | PTI
- Mamata daydreaming about dislodging Modi: Javadekar 22 Jul 2017 | IANS
- Sharif's brother to replace him in case of conviction: report 22 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Seven cops thrashed by Army personnel in Kashmir, case filed 22 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Indian women's cricket team eyes slice of history, glory 22 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Ginsburg: Justices felt Trump travel ban 'too restrictive' 22 Jul 2017 | AP
- Reduce tension through direct dialogue:Pentagon to India,China 22 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Actively working towards clean political funding: Jaitley 22 Jul 2017 | IANS
- Only BJP and Communists can claim internal democracy: Amit Shah 21 Jul 2017 | IANS
- CBI arrests banker, Surat firm director in Rs 836 crore scam 21 Jul 2017 | IANS
- Trinamool to launch 'BJP Quit India' movement: Mamata 21 Jul 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
16 Jul 2017 | PNS | Lucknow
The Congress would launch a protest campaign both against the Centre as well as UP Government starting from next month. “People are feeling the pinch of unpopular decision of Modi Government like demonetisation, GST etc so now we will raise the people voice by protesting on all the district head-quarters in the State on August 9 on occasion of August Kranti Day”, disclosed chairman of the UPCC media...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Jul 2017 | Nityanand Dubey | Garhwa
The district administration has begun preparations for the district-level Independence Day function. Garhwa Deputy Commissioner Neha Arora on Thursday convened a meeting with officials of various departments and citizens at conference hall...