ED raids Karti Chidambaram's properties in Delhi, Chennai
The Enforcement Directorate on Saturday conducted raids on senior Congress leader P. Chidambaram's son Karti's properties in Delhi and Chennai in connection with the INX Media money laundering case.
The raids were being conducted at one location in Delhi and four in Chennai.
The agency on Thursday issued fresh summons to Karti Chidambaram in a money laundering case related to alleged irregularities in getting foreign investment for the INX Media in 2007.
The ED had registered a money laundering case against the former Finance Minister's son in May 2017.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), which separately probing how INX Media got a clearance from Foriegn Investment Promotion Board (FIPB). The CBI FIR also name INX Media directors, Peter and Indrani Mukerjea -- both accused in the Sheena Bora murder case.
Karti is facing a probe for his alleged role in facilitating the FIPB's clearance for INX Media when his father was the Union Finance Minister.
Karti is alleged to have received Rs 3.5 crore from Mumbai-based INX media, now 9X Media, for helping it get the FIPB clearance when it was run by the Mukerjeas.
The ED, which is probing financial misappropriation in the case, has contended that Mukerjeas had "allegedly siphoned off 90 million pounds and the money is suspected to have gone to foreign countries through hawala routes".
Following the FIPB clearance, the INX Media said it had received Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) of Rs 46.20 million, but actually received Rs 3,053.60 million between August 2007 and May 2008, the ED said.
Accordingly, this excess foreign exchange equivalent to Rs 3,004.40 million, beyond the disclosed the permitted foreign investment, was received by INX Media from three Mauritius-based investors, said the ED.
- Amit Shah slams Assam's social media team 25 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Delhi HC stays cutting of trees till July 4 25 Jun 2018 | PTI
- SC to hear on plea of 18 disqualified AIADMK MLAs 25 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Five killed as rains clobber Maharashtra, road, rail traffic hit 25 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Shah asks workers to ensure 50 pc vote share; asserts BJP won't allow anyone to abolish reservations 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- PM Modi visits AIIMS to enquire on Vajpayee's health 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- FIR against former CM Siddaramaiah in land denotification case 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- 2 LeT militants killed in encounter in south Kashmir 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Mehbooba hits back at Shah 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Emergency turned democracy into constitutional dictatorship: Jaitley 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
24 Jun 2018 | PNS
Book on Renewable Energy Technology Released Hon’ble Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Power, New and Renewable Energy, Shri RK Singh released a book titled “Renewable Energy Technology” co-authored by Shri IS Jha, CMD (POWERGRID), Shri Subir Sen, COO (CTU Planning &Smart Grid) POWERGRID, Shri Manish Kumar Tiwari, Asst GM (Smart Grid) POWERGRID and Prof DP Kothari in the august presence of CMD, POWERGRID, senior officials of Ministry of....
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 Jun 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Recognising the intent and passion of the Central Sarna Committee in safeguarding tribal customs as well as in infusing modern practices into the tribal community, Chief Minister Raghubar Das called upon the people to extend their support to the cause. The Chief Minister, in the same breath, rapped 'anti-national' forces who he alleged are attacking open culture of the community and said that the Government is here to protect the rights...