- State Editions ˅
- Cover Story
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
- Photo feature
- national interest
Emergence of AAP a warning, challenge: Dwivedi
Describing the emergence of AAP as a "warning and a challenge", a senior Congress leader said it reflected the anger of the people towards the system and major parties.
Congress General Secretary Janardan Dwivedi, at the same time, said "this kind of anarchy" cannot create an "ideal system".In an apparent attack on BJP's prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, he said it was a "pity" that through "arm-twisting", a leader of a state had forced his leadership in BJP on others.
Cautioning that one who strays in politics is negated by people, he said the victory of Aam Aadmi Party in Delhi is not the victory of any party, leave aside ideology."Those who have won here have no ideology. They have won because of the discontent among people. This is the victory of the anger of the people towards the major parties.
"This is the victory of the grievance of common residents from the system. This is a challenge, this is a warning. It should be accepted like that....I think all parties, including Congress, are realising this now," Dwivedi said. Without naming Modi, he said he felt pity on BJP as a leader of a state had become such a "strongman" that by "twisting the arm of others", he forcibly declared himself the leader.
"It is not proper to say anything more on the internal affairs of another party or any leader," he said. Dwivedi said the values of democracy and anti-communalism were alive in the country and the "the spirit of India is democratic and non-communal."
To questions about the failure of Congress in coming back to power in many states where it once ruled, Dwivedi said there were some problems in candidate selection, but the bigger problem was that "we did not try to create new leadership keeping in mind the entire society".
- India bowl out Australia for 137, to chase 106 to win 4th Test 27 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Multiple suspects at large after US shooting 27 Mar 2017 | IANS
- SC denies permission to woman to terminate 27-week foetus 27 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Aadhaar cannot be made compulsory for welfare benefits: SC 27 Mar 2017 | PTI
- RS proceedings disrupted over vacancies in statutory panels 27 Mar 2017 | PTI
- 'Trump effect' to be blamed for racial attacks in Aus: Indian 27 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Delhi's AAP MLA resigns, joins BJP ahead of civic polls 27 Mar 2017 | IANS
- Deliver or make room, the Adityanath mantra 27 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Jaitley introduces four GST bills in Lok Sabha 27 Mar 2017 | IANS
- Vyapam scam: Remove Chouhan as CM, Singh writes to PM Modi 27 Mar 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
26 Mar 2017 | Kushan Mitra
The advent of online streaming services that can stream content directly to your television screen is making the argument for cutting the cable connection more and more convincing, believes Kushan Mitra Is it time to cut the cable? In the past year and a half, online television streaming services Hotstar Premium, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video have launched their services in India. There is also Voot from Viacom18 and Sony LIV...
STATE EDITIONSView All
27 Mar 2017 | PNS | Lucknow
Asking party workers not to opt for contractual work in government sector Chief Minister Adityanath Yogi said that UP’s face will change in next two months as people have reposed faith on us and it is workers’ responsibility to ensure BJP fulfills all poll promises. “I appeal to the party workers and family members of law makers not to seek contract of government department...