- Poll verdict a lesson to Congress for criticising Gujarat model: Adityanath
- When celebrations turned sombre at Congress office
- Modi flashes victory sign as BJP close to winning Gujarat, Himachal
- Poll results approval of Modi govt's policies: Rajnath Singh
- 12 killed in fire at a shop in Mumbai
- BJP poised to take power in Himachal
- After early hiccups, BJP set to retain power in Gujarat
- Cong to build alternative narrative based on fairness,jobs for all: Chidambaram
- AIADMK battles war within; actors eye political vacuum in TN
- DRDO has key role in 'Make in India' programme: Sitharaman
- BJP supporters scuttle programme in memory of Nirbhaya: AAP
End of Road: Yuvraj dropped from India's ODI squad
Veteran left-hander Yuvraj Singh was today dropped from the Indian squad for the limited overs series against Sri Lanka in what could possibly signal an end to his illustrious international career.
A two-time World Cup winner and one of India's finest limited overs exponent, the 35 year old Yuvraj's place was always under the scanner.
After a 50 against Pakistan in the Champions Trophy opener, Yuvraj hardly did anything notable as his last seven ODI innings fetched him only 162 runs.
A senior BCCI official, who is privy to selection policy said that Yuvraj is no longer in contention for the 2019 World Cup in England and Wales.
"His batting has lost sting. He rarely bowls and his fielding has gone down a few notches. If we have to prepare a team for 2019 World Cup, we had to take a call now. In case of Mahendra Singh Dhoni, we still don't have replacement but Yuvraj's place has multiple contenders," the official, who can't come on record told PTI today.
Yuvraj has scored over 8000 runs in 304 ODIs, apart from playing 40 Tests and 58 T20 Internationals.
Mahendra Singh Dhoni's selection also indicates, he is in scheme of things for the 2019 World Cup in England.
Another player dropped from the squad that went to West Indies is young keeper-batsman Rishabh Pant, who has been replaced by KL Rahul, who is also a decent glovesman. Kedar Jadhav can also keep wickets.
Dinesh Karthik, who did a decent job in the West Indies was also dropped since he was picked as Manish Pandey's replacement.
The national selection committee decided to rest all senior bowlers -- pacers Mohammed Shami, Umesh Yadav along with spinners Ravichandran Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja.
Jasprit Bumrah makes a comeback after much needed rest while rookie Mumbai pacer Shardul Thakur has also been included in the side.
The spin department will be relatively young with left- arm spinner Axar Patel and leg-spinner Yuzvendra Chahal to support chinaman Kuldeep Yadav.
Fit again India A captain Pandey has been recalled after leading the side to tri-nation series win in South Africa.
He scored 307 runs in five games and was dismissed only once.
Rahul was also an automatic choice once he is fit. After twin 50s in Tests, there was no debate on his return.
As far as Shardul's selection, he is among the reserve pool of fast bowlers whom selectors would ideally like to try out against a weak team like Sri Lanka.
Veteran Suresh Raina remains on stand by as he has not played ODIs since 2015.
Squad: Virat Kohli(capt), Shikhar Dhawan, KL Rahul, Rohit Sharma, MS Dhoni (wk), Kedar Jadhav, Manish Pandey, Hardik Pandya, Axar Patel, Kuldeep Yadav, Yuzvendra Chahal, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Shardul Thakur, Jasprit Bumrah, Ajinkya Rahane.
- BJP will form govt in Gujarat, Himachal: Amit Shah 18 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Development has won, says Modi on assembly election results 18 Dec 2017 | PTI
- EVMs can be hacked, as margin between winner and loser very less: Hardik Patel 18 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Congress should take all parties along to usher change in 2019: Akhilesh 18 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Poll verdict a lesson to Congress for criticising Gujarat model: Adityanath 18 Dec 2017 | IANS
- When celebrations turned sombre at Congress office 18 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Cong accepts people's verdict, fought anger with dignity: Rahul 18 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Sena praises Rahul Gandhi; lauds him for Gujarat 'battle' 18 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Modi flashes victory sign as BJP close to winning Gujarat, Himachal 18 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Poll results approval of Modi govt's policies: Rajnath Singh 18 Dec 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Dec 2017 | PNS | BHUBANESWAR
The State Government has recommended to the Shree Jagannath Temple Administration (SJTA) to stop entry of devotees into the sanctum sanctorum (Garvagriha) of the shrine. In a letter to the SJTA, the Government has asked for restrictions on darshan of the deities by devotees, including VIPs...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Dec 2017 | PNS | Dehradun
Police are investigating different possibilities in the case of the two men found dead at the Sant Nirankari Satsang Bhawan on Friday. The bodies of Kamal Ram, a native of Rudraprayag and Sonu Kumar of Dehradun were found at Sant Nirankari Satsang Bhawan near Haridwar Bypass...