- P V Sindhu enters semifinals of All England Championship.
- Centre tells SC it will not damage Ram Sethu for shipping channel project
- Andhra CM targets PMO, alleges conspiracy
- 'TDP's exit signals opportunity for BJP to grow in Andhra'
- Bhagwant Mann resigns as AAP Punjab chief
- TDP quits NDA; to move no-confidence motion
End of Road: Yuvraj dropped from India's ODI squad
Veteran left-hander Yuvraj Singh was today dropped from the Indian squad for the limited overs series against Sri Lanka in what could possibly signal an end to his illustrious international career.
A two-time World Cup winner and one of India's finest limited overs exponent, the 35 year old Yuvraj's place was always under the scanner.
After a 50 against Pakistan in the Champions Trophy opener, Yuvraj hardly did anything notable as his last seven ODI innings fetched him only 162 runs.
A senior BCCI official, who is privy to selection policy said that Yuvraj is no longer in contention for the 2019 World Cup in England and Wales.
"His batting has lost sting. He rarely bowls and his fielding has gone down a few notches. If we have to prepare a team for 2019 World Cup, we had to take a call now. In case of Mahendra Singh Dhoni, we still don't have replacement but Yuvraj's place has multiple contenders," the official, who can't come on record told PTI today.
Yuvraj has scored over 8000 runs in 304 ODIs, apart from playing 40 Tests and 58 T20 Internationals.
Mahendra Singh Dhoni's selection also indicates, he is in scheme of things for the 2019 World Cup in England.
Another player dropped from the squad that went to West Indies is young keeper-batsman Rishabh Pant, who has been replaced by KL Rahul, who is also a decent glovesman. Kedar Jadhav can also keep wickets.
Dinesh Karthik, who did a decent job in the West Indies was also dropped since he was picked as Manish Pandey's replacement.
The national selection committee decided to rest all senior bowlers -- pacers Mohammed Shami, Umesh Yadav along with spinners Ravichandran Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja.
Jasprit Bumrah makes a comeback after much needed rest while rookie Mumbai pacer Shardul Thakur has also been included in the side.
The spin department will be relatively young with left- arm spinner Axar Patel and leg-spinner Yuzvendra Chahal to support chinaman Kuldeep Yadav.
Fit again India A captain Pandey has been recalled after leading the side to tri-nation series win in South Africa.
He scored 307 runs in five games and was dismissed only once.
Rahul was also an automatic choice once he is fit. After twin 50s in Tests, there was no debate on his return.
As far as Shardul's selection, he is among the reserve pool of fast bowlers whom selectors would ideally like to try out against a weak team like Sri Lanka.
Veteran Suresh Raina remains on stand by as he has not played ODIs since 2015.
Squad: Virat Kohli(capt), Shikhar Dhawan, KL Rahul, Rohit Sharma, MS Dhoni (wk), Kedar Jadhav, Manish Pandey, Hardik Pandya, Axar Patel, Kuldeep Yadav, Yuzvendra Chahal, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Shardul Thakur, Jasprit Bumrah, Ajinkya Rahane.
- Won't mind crossing border to protect Kashmir: Rajnath 17 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Trade a big friction in India-US ties: WH 17 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Maha farmers `reclaim' land acquired by Nirav Modi's firm 17 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Sonia targets Modi, accuses him of making hollow promises 17 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Russia to expel 23 British diplomats: foreign ministry 17 Mar 2018 | AFP
- EC should revert to use of paper ballot over EVMs: Congress 17 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Pak to skip WTO meet in New Delhi 17 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Cong set to roll out road map for halting BJP's juggernaut ahead of 2019 polls 17 Mar 2018 | PTI
- BJP spreading anger, hatred: Rahul 17 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Farm income to double by 2022: Modi 17 Mar 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
18 Mar 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
Kerala’s Catholic Church has declared war on the CPI(M)-led LDF Government over its new liquor policy by which liquor outlets including bars could be opened in almost all panchayats in the State. The new policy also paves way for the reopening of almost all the bars that were closed down in 2014 as part of the then Government’s policy envisaging implementation of Prohibition in ten years’ time through phases...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Mar 2018 | PNS | Chandigarh
Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal on Saturday said that the previous governments indulged in the business of illegally acquiring lands with ulterior motives and with the intent of having their own cut. “This was done not only in Rohtak but in the entire state...