Former coal secy H C Gupta convicted in a coal scam case
Special CBI Judge Bharat Parashar also convicted the coal ministry's then joint secretary K S Kropha and then director K C Samaria besides others in the case pertaining to alleged irregularities in allocation of Thesgora-B Rudrapuri coal block in Madhya Pradesh to KSSPL.
The court will pronounce the order on quantum of sentence on May 22.
The court, however, acquitted chartered accountant Amit Goyal in the case.
Besides Gupta, Kropha and Samria, the court also convicted the firm KSSPL and its managing director Pawan Kumar Ahluwalia.
Kropha was the then joint secretary in the Ministry of Coal, while Samria was the then director (coal allocation-I) in the ministry.
During the hearing, the CBI had alleged that the application filed by KSSPL for the coal block was incomplete and was supposed to be rejected by the ministry as it was not in accordance with the guidelines issued.
The CBI had charged that the firm had misrepresented its net worth and existing capacity, adding that state government had also not recommended the firm for the allocation of any coal block.
The accused, however, denied the allegations during the arguments.
The court had in October last year framed charges against the accused observing that former prime minister Manmohan Singh was kept in the "dark" by Gupta, who had prima facie violated the law and the trust reposed in him on the issue of coal block allocation.
Around eight different charge sheets have been filed against Gupta and proceedings are going on individually. The Supreme Court had recently dismissed his plea seeking joint trial in all these cases.
- CBI registers FIR against its ex-chief Ranjit Sinha 25 Apr 2017 | PTI
- In talks with AIADMK (Amma) faction: Panneerselvam camp to SC 21 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Karnataka again says it can't release Cauvery water to TN 10 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Poll promises routinely unfulfilled, parties must be held accountable: CJI 08 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Uphaar case:Victims' body moves SC, wants Sushil Ansal in jail 07 Mar 2017 | PTI
- NBWs against Prajapati, passport impounded, look-out notice issued 04 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Crucial verdict in case agnst Sasikala tom to decide her fate 13 Feb 2017 | PTI
- SC orders attachment of Sahara's prime Aamby Valley property 06 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Alternative voting rights for domestic migrants not possible now: EC 29 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Jallikattu supporters taken into custody 14 Jan 2017 | PTI
- England post new ODI record total 19 Jun 2018 | AFP
- Governor's rule imminent in J-K; Rajnath holds high-level meet 19 Jun 2018 | PTI
- There should be no distinction between 'good' or 'bad' terrorism: Kovind tells EU 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- CoA asks BCCI officials to watch India-England T20Is at own expense 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Hope muscular, militaristic policy doesn't return under guise of Governor's rule in J&K: Chidambaram 19 Jun 2018 | PTI
- J&K decision to help state, country: Yogi 19 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Kejriwal ends sit-in, IAS officers attend meetings 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Opportunistic BJP-PDP alliance set fire to J&K, damage will remain: Rahul 19 Jun 2018 | PTI
- L-G asks Kejriwal to urgently meet IAS officers to address concerns 19 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Patanjali gets UP's nod to give land to subsidiary firm for food park 19 Jun 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A 35-year-old woman’s body was recovered from an autorickshaw at Rethghat under Talaiya police station area late in the night on Monday. Sensation prevailed in Retghat area on Monday night after body of a woman was recovered the auto rickshaw and after spotting the woman police were informed...