Former coal secy H C Gupta convicted in a coal scam case
Special CBI Judge Bharat Parashar also convicted the coal ministry's then joint secretary K S Kropha and then director K C Samaria besides others in the case pertaining to alleged irregularities in allocation of Thesgora-B Rudrapuri coal block in Madhya Pradesh to KSSPL.
The court will pronounce the order on quantum of sentence on May 22.
The court, however, acquitted chartered accountant Amit Goyal in the case.
Besides Gupta, Kropha and Samria, the court also convicted the firm KSSPL and its managing director Pawan Kumar Ahluwalia.
Kropha was the then joint secretary in the Ministry of Coal, while Samria was the then director (coal allocation-I) in the ministry.
During the hearing, the CBI had alleged that the application filed by KSSPL for the coal block was incomplete and was supposed to be rejected by the ministry as it was not in accordance with the guidelines issued.
The CBI had charged that the firm had misrepresented its net worth and existing capacity, adding that state government had also not recommended the firm for the allocation of any coal block.
The accused, however, denied the allegations during the arguments.
The court had in October last year framed charges against the accused observing that former prime minister Manmohan Singh was kept in the "dark" by Gupta, who had prima facie violated the law and the trust reposed in him on the issue of coal block allocation.
Around eight different charge sheets have been filed against Gupta and proceedings are going on individually. The Supreme Court had recently dismissed his plea seeking joint trial in all these cases.
- CBI registers FIR against its ex-chief Ranjit Sinha 25 Apr 2017 | PTI
- In talks with AIADMK (Amma) faction: Panneerselvam camp to SC 21 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Karnataka again says it can't release Cauvery water to TN 10 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Poll promises routinely unfulfilled, parties must be held accountable: CJI 08 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Uphaar case:Victims' body moves SC, wants Sushil Ansal in jail 07 Mar 2017 | PTI
- NBWs against Prajapati, passport impounded, look-out notice issued 04 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Crucial verdict in case agnst Sasikala tom to decide her fate 13 Feb 2017 | PTI
- SC orders attachment of Sahara's prime Aamby Valley property 06 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Alternative voting rights for domestic migrants not possible now: EC 29 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Jallikattu supporters taken into custody 14 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Mamata daydreaming about dislodging Modi: Javadekar 22 Jul 2017 | IANS
- Sharif's brother to replace him in case of conviction: report 22 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Seven cops thrashed by Army personnel in Kashmir, case filed 22 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Indian women's cricket team eyes slice of history, glory 22 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Ginsburg: Justices felt Trump travel ban 'too restrictive' 22 Jul 2017 | AP
- Reduce tension through direct dialogue:Pentagon to India,China 22 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Actively working towards clean political funding: Jaitley 22 Jul 2017 | IANS
- Only BJP and Communists can claim internal democracy: Amit Shah 21 Jul 2017 | IANS
- CBI arrests banker, Surat firm director in Rs 836 crore scam 21 Jul 2017 | IANS
- Trinamool to launch 'BJP Quit India' movement: Mamata 21 Jul 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
16 Jul 2017 | PNS | Lucknow
The Congress would launch a protest campaign both against the Centre as well as UP Government starting from next month. “People are feeling the pinch of unpopular decision of Modi Government like demonetisation, GST etc so now we will raise the people voice by protesting on all the district head-quarters in the State on August 9 on occasion of August Kranti Day”, disclosed chairman of the UPCC media...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Jul 2017 | Nityanand Dubey | Garhwa
The district administration has begun preparations for the district-level Independence Day function. Garhwa Deputy Commissioner Neha Arora on Thursday convened a meeting with officials of various departments and citizens at conference hall...