- Office of profit: Prez OKs disqualification of 20 AAP MLAs
- Develop a US-style online platform to sell bad loans: Acharya
- WEF preps for Modi mantra with tastes of India, twists of yoga
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy over cross-border firing
- No one can touch a woman without her consent: Delhi court
- No fresh firing by Pakistan along LoC, IB overnight
- UNSC sanctions monitoring team to visit Pak this week
- Bawana fire: Police nabbed factory owner
Fresh firing erupts at Shopian encounter site
Two Army men had lost their life in the gunfight yesterday, while three others were injured.
"Fresh firing has erupted at the encounter site at Zainapora in Shopian,” a police official said.
He said as the forces were conducting search at the encounter site after killing three militants, fresh firing started from the debris.
The operation is still on, the official said.
Three militants were killed this morning in the encounter which began yesterday.
"Three militants have been killed in the encounter at Zainapora in Shopian," Director General of Police (DGP), S P Vaid told PTI earlier.
Vaid said the identity and group affiliation of the slain militants is being ascertained.
Security forces launched a cordon and search operation following information about presence of militants in Avneera village of Zainapora area of the district yesterday.
As the forces were conducting searches, the militants opened firing on them which was retaliated by the law enforcement personnel, triggering a gunfight.
Five soldiers were injured in the gunfight yesterday and were evacuated to 92 Base Hospital of the Army for treatment.
Two soldiers among them succumbed to injuries last night.
A defence spokesman identified the Army men as Sepoy Ilayaraja P, a resident of Tamil Nadu, and Sepoy Gawai Sumedh Waman, a resident of Maharashtra.
- Looking to share vision of India's engagement with world: Modi 21 Jan 2018 | IANS
- CPI-M Central Committee says 'no' to electoral pact with Congress 21 Jan 2018 | IANS
- India has shown it won't hesitate to cross border: Rajnath 21 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Office of profit: Prez OKs disqualification of 20 AAP MLAs 21 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Sikh man asked to remove turban in Canada 21 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Develop a US-style online platform to sell bad loans: Acharya 21 Jan 2018 | PTI
- WEF preps for Modi mantra with tastes of India, twists of yoga 21 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy over cross-border firing 21 Jan 2018 | IANS
- No one can touch a woman without her consent: Delhi court 21 Jan 2018 | PTI
- No fresh firing by Pakistan along LoC, IB overnight 21 Jan 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
21 Jan 2018 | Agencies
67 Afghan force members freed from Taliban Kabul: Afghan security forces have freed 67 soldiers and police officials from a Taliban-run jail in Afghanistan's Helmand province, officials said on Saturday. The rescue operation was launched in Baghram district and 20 of the freed hostages were taken to neighbouring Kandahar province...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Jan 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Attractive and colourful tableaux showcasing the development of the State made on different frontages and over 17 platoons reflecting their charisma are again set to steal the show on Republic Day here at Morhabadi Ground. Presenting the glimpse of modern and developing Jharkhand, this R-Day as many as 12 tableaus of different government departments will enthrall the denizens...