Fresh firing erupts at Shopian encounter site
Two Army men had lost their life in the gunfight yesterday, while three others were injured.
"Fresh firing has erupted at the encounter site at Zainapora in Shopian,” a police official said.
He said as the forces were conducting search at the encounter site after killing three militants, fresh firing started from the debris.
The operation is still on, the official said.
Three militants were killed this morning in the encounter which began yesterday.
"Three militants have been killed in the encounter at Zainapora in Shopian," Director General of Police (DGP), S P Vaid told PTI earlier.
Vaid said the identity and group affiliation of the slain militants is being ascertained.
Security forces launched a cordon and search operation following information about presence of militants in Avneera village of Zainapora area of the district yesterday.
As the forces were conducting searches, the militants opened firing on them which was retaliated by the law enforcement personnel, triggering a gunfight.
Five soldiers were injured in the gunfight yesterday and were evacuated to 92 Base Hospital of the Army for treatment.
Two soldiers among them succumbed to injuries last night.
A defence spokesman identified the Army men as Sepoy Ilayaraja P, a resident of Tamil Nadu, and Sepoy Gawai Sumedh Waman, a resident of Maharashtra.
- Does NKorean H-bomb threat push US closer to war? 23 Sep 2017 | AP
- Beware of 'fake' samajwadis, Akhilesh tells party members 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- ED files charge sheet against Kashmiri separatist leader Shah 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Arvind Subramanian to continue as CEA, gets 1-yr extension 23 Sep 2017 | IANS
- Britain's May asks for transition deal after Brexit 23 Sep 2017 | AFP
- Swaraj to address UN General Assembly tonight 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Film producer Morani surrenders in rape case 23 Sep 2017 | IANS
- Iran tests new missile defying US warnings 23 Sep 2017 | AFP
- Development, not votes, is our priority: PM 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- India calls for global action to counter use of Internet for radicalisation 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter | New Delhi
A 38-year-old man has been arrested by the Farsh Bazaar police for allegedly duping people coming to ATM and fraudulently withdrawing their money. Twelve ATM cards have been recovered from his possession...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Sep 2017 | PNS | Ranchi
Cambrian Public School put up a great show and defeated Delhi Public School by 4/1 in the finals of the two-day Inter-School Football Tournament: ‘Ranchi Cup’-2017 at Delhi Public School, Ranchi on Friday. Subrata Dutta, Sr...