Fresh firing erupts at Shopian encounter site
Two Army men had lost their life in the gunfight yesterday, while three others were injured.
"Fresh firing has erupted at the encounter site at Zainapora in Shopian,” a police official said.
He said as the forces were conducting search at the encounter site after killing three militants, fresh firing started from the debris.
The operation is still on, the official said.
Three militants were killed this morning in the encounter which began yesterday.
"Three militants have been killed in the encounter at Zainapora in Shopian," Director General of Police (DGP), S P Vaid told PTI earlier.
Vaid said the identity and group affiliation of the slain militants is being ascertained.
Security forces launched a cordon and search operation following information about presence of militants in Avneera village of Zainapora area of the district yesterday.
As the forces were conducting searches, the militants opened firing on them which was retaliated by the law enforcement personnel, triggering a gunfight.
Five soldiers were injured in the gunfight yesterday and were evacuated to 92 Base Hospital of the Army for treatment.
Two soldiers among them succumbed to injuries last night.
A defence spokesman identified the Army men as Sepoy Ilayaraja P, a resident of Tamil Nadu, and Sepoy Gawai Sumedh Waman, a resident of Maharashtra.
- Suu Kyi blames world conflicts partly on illegal immigration 20 Nov 2017 | AP
- 50 hundreds do not seem a long journey for Kohli 20 Nov 2017 | PTI
- SC allows Karti Chidambaram to go abroad 20 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Not upset with Tharoor's tongue-in-cheek remark: Manushi Chhillar 20 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Create awareness among school kids on Blue Whale: SC to states 20 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Padmavati not to be screened in MP if it distorts historical facts: Chouhan 20 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Jaitley refutes Sonia's charge of govt sabotaging Parl session 20 Nov 2017 | PTI
- UNSC permanent members unnerved by prospect of India's nominee winning ICJ election: Observers 20 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Egg prices 40% higher on tight supply 20 Nov 2017 | PTI
- NCP to contest Gujarat polls solo 20 Nov 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
19 Nov 2017 | PNS | GANDHINAGAR
Addressing a gathering of people via video conferencing in Bharuch district of poll-bound Gujarat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday asked them to unite against casteism, terrorism, black money, corruption and communalism. “It is a strange environment…We must hold each others hand and move ahead…...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Nov 2017 | Parvinder Bhatia | Jamshedpur
State’s first women university will come at Sidhgora in the eastern part of Jamshedpur, Chief Minister Raghubar Das said on Monday in Jamshedpur. “I am happy to announce that first Women’s University will come up at Sidhgora...