Fresh firing erupts at Shopian encounter site
Two Army men had lost their life in the gunfight yesterday, while three others were injured.
"Fresh firing has erupted at the encounter site at Zainapora in Shopian,” a police official said.
He said as the forces were conducting search at the encounter site after killing three militants, fresh firing started from the debris.
The operation is still on, the official said.
Three militants were killed this morning in the encounter which began yesterday.
"Three militants have been killed in the encounter at Zainapora in Shopian," Director General of Police (DGP), S P Vaid told PTI earlier.
Vaid said the identity and group affiliation of the slain militants is being ascertained.
Security forces launched a cordon and search operation following information about presence of militants in Avneera village of Zainapora area of the district yesterday.
As the forces were conducting searches, the militants opened firing on them which was retaliated by the law enforcement personnel, triggering a gunfight.
Five soldiers were injured in the gunfight yesterday and were evacuated to 92 Base Hospital of the Army for treatment.
Two soldiers among them succumbed to injuries last night.
A defence spokesman identified the Army men as Sepoy Ilayaraja P, a resident of Tamil Nadu, and Sepoy Gawai Sumedh Waman, a resident of Maharashtra.
- K'taka Cong MLA says audio tape released by his party to frame BJP is 'fake' 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Dalit man beaten to death in Gujarat, 5 held 21 May 2018 | PTI
- PM Modi arrives in Sochi for informal summit with Putin 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Moody's downgrades PNB on the impact of Nirav Modi fraud 21 May 2018 | PTI
- ND-Vizag AP Express catches fire near Gwalior, no injuries reported 21 May 2018 | PTI
- India test fires BrahMos cruise missile 21 May 2018 | IANS
- Plea in SC seeking review of Loya death case verdict 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Kerala Health dept on alert after 3 deaths due to virus 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Communalism has no place in West Bengal: CM 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Pak Rangers violate ceasefire again, hours after 'pleading' to stop firing 21 May 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 May 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
With State’s biggest Urban Local Body (ULB) gearing up to conduct vendors’ committee election in June second week for formation of first Town Vending Committee, the members of Ranchi Footpath Hawkers Association covering quite a number of street vendors appear reluctant to take part in the upcoming election. Notably, as per the rule, allocation of shops to street vendors at the vendors market is done on the recommendation of the...