Gorakhpur, Phulpur bypoll outcome lesson for BJP: Adityanath
The Gorakhpur and Phulpur Lok Sabha by-election results were a "lesson", Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath said today, citing over-confidence and the inability to understand the pact between SP and BSP as prime reasons for the BJP's defeat.
The fact that the BJP lost both the seats -- Gorakhpur was vacated by Adityanath and Phulpur by his deputy Keshav Prasad Maurya -- was a reason for review, the chief minister added.
"When the candidates were declared, the SP, BSP and Congress were not together...They had not joined hands then. But suddenly in the middle of the election, the SP and the BSP forged an electoral understanding," he told the media from his residence.
"The over-confidence and inability to understand the electoral understanding between the SP and the BSP led to the defeat," Adityanath stressed.
Political bargaining has started in the state and people of the state will understand it, he said.
The chief minister, who has represented Gorakhpur in the Lok Sabha five times, said local issues led to the party's poor performance in by-elections, not the policies of the Centre.
He noted that local issues dominated and voter turnout was also low. "When the general elections are held, there will be national issues. Under the leadership of PM Narendra Modi, there has been a sense of confidence which is prevailing in the country...But all these will be reviewed."
The election results, he stressed, were a lesson.
- SC notice to dentist couple in Aarushi murder case 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Court convicts Lalu Prasad in 4th case of fodder scam 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Wang Yi is China's key negotiator on border talks with India 19 Mar 2018 | IANS
- National Herald case: YI asked to deposit Rs 10 cr in IT case 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- SC seeks Centre's reply on plea for CBI probe into Junaid lynching case 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- No-confidence motion not taken up; Govt says ready for discussion 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Putin wins fourth term with record vote 19 Mar 2018 | AFP
- Raj Thackeray calls for 'Modi-mukt Bharat' 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- DK does it in style, India win Nidahas T20 18 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Rahul attacks Modi on corruption, promises galvanised party in 2019 'Kuruskshtra' battle 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
18 Mar 2018 | PNS
AAI conducts international workshop for utilizing GAGAN In keeping with the Prime Minister’s objective of using technology as a means of development and co-operation, Airports Authority of India has now offered GPS-aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) to SAARC and Southeast Asian countries in order to allow them to reap the significant benefits that accrue from such an advanced navigation system. AAI conducted a two-day workshop on March 15 and 16, 2018...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Leader of the Opposition in the state assembly Ajay Singh said that the claims of women well-wisher Chief Minister Shivraj Singh are deceiving as miscreants with minor offences are arrested with immediate effect, but in the matter related to a minister's son, Chouhan says enquiry would be conducted He further alleged that prime facie, minister's son was responsible for Preeti Raghuvanshi’s suicide. Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan today instructed police officials to...