Green court holds AoL responsible for Yamuna floodplains damage
The National Green Tribunal on Thursday held Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's Art of Living responsible for damaging the ecology of the Yamuna floodplains during the three-day cultural extravaganza held last year and asked the organisation to pay for the restoration works.
"We hold respondent no. 3 (Art of Living) responsible for the damage to the Yamuna floodplains," green tribunal head Justice Swatanter Kumar said in his order.
The verdict comes after a report by an environmental experts panel accused the organisation of causing extensive damage to the Yamuna floodplains in Delhi during the World Culture Festival in 2016.
The NGT has already find the Art of Living Rs 5 crore for the damage and said the amount would be used to restore the fragile floodplains.
"In case more funds are required, Art of Living will have to pay," the NGT chief said. However, if restoration costs less, the remaining amount of the already deposited Rs 5 crore will be refunded.
The green court also asked the capital's lead planning body, the Delhi Development Authority, to do a fresh assessment of how much money would be required to restore the damaged floodplains.
Environmentalists had vocally objected to organising the World Culture Festival on the ecologically fragile Yamuna banks -- which included a 7-acre stage for 35,000 musicians and dancers, newly built dirt tracks and 650 portable toilets across 1,000 acres.
The Art of Living has denied it caused any damage to the banks, alleging that it has been a victim of a "conspiracy".
"We have never caused any damage to the environment but have in fact worked for preserving and reviving it through various environment-related projects over the years," the organisation said.
- SC Constitution bench to hear pleas against Aadhaar tomorrow 13 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Ex-Jharkhand CM Madhu Koda convicted in coal scam case 13 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Kerala seeks Rs 1,843 cr from Centre for Ockhi damage 13 Dec 2017 | IANS
- SC stalls Centre's takeover of Unitech 13 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Inflation jumps to 15-month high, IIP slows to 2.2% 12 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Undercurrent against BJP in Guj; results will be 'zabardast': Rahul 12 Dec 2017 | PTI
- For many Muslims, EVM the real enemy 12 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Rahul Gandhi should stop telling lies: BJP 12 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Sharad Yadav moves HC against disqualification from RS 12 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Gujarat election: EC orders repolling in 6 booths on Thursday 12 Dec 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
10 Dec 2017 | AFP | Seoul
North Korea blamed US "nuclear blackmail" for soaring tensions over its weapons programme in rare meetings with a senior UN official, but agreed to regular communication with the organisation, state media said today. Jeffrey Feltman arrived in Beijing today after wrapping up a five-day visit to Pyongyang aimed at defusing the crisis, just a week after North Korea said it test-fired a new ballistic missile capable of reaching the United States...
STATE EDITIONSView All
13 Dec 2017 | PNS | Ranchi
The Congress will organise a yatra covering all the 11 districts where the party feels that the employment rights of the locals have been compromised with. The protest is also against the said promise reportedly made by Chief Minister Raghubar Das to amend the decision allowing outsiders into Government jobs in certain part of the State...