GST rates finalised for services; education, healthcare exempt
Education and healthcare will continue to be exempt from taxation in the upcoming GST regime that will tax services at four different rates with transport, including economy class air travel, being taxed at 5 per cent.
The GST Council finalised four tax rates of 5, 12, 18 and 28 per cent to apply on services including telecom, insurance, hotels and restaurants under the biggest tax reform since the Independence.
The rates are in line with those finalised for goods. With this, rates of all items except a handful including gold, have been decided ahead of the roll out of the Goods and Services Tax (GST) regime from July 1.
Briefing reporters here after the two-day meeting of the Council, Finance Minister Arun Jaitey said telecom and financial services will be taxed at a standard rate of 18 per cent.
Transport services will be taxed at 5 per cent. This rate will apply to cab aggregators like Ola and Uber as well as those who currently pay 6 per cent tax.
Non-AC train travel will be exempt and the 5 per cent will be levied on AC travel tickets.
Travelling on metro, local train and religious travel including Haj yatra will all continue to be exempt from GST, Revenue Secretary Hashmukh Adhia said.
Economy class air travel will attract 5 per cent GST while business class will be charged 12 cent, he said.
Jaitley said non-AC restaurants will charge 12 per cent GST on food bill. Tax rate for AC restaurants and those with liquor licence will be 18 per cent, while 5-star hotels will charge 28 per cent GST.
Restaurants with Rs 50 lakh or below turnover will go under the 5 per cent composition, he said.
Work contracts like white washing will be liable for a 12 per cent GST.
Entertainment tax will be merged with service tax under GST and a composite 28 per cent levy charged on cinema services as well as gambling or betting at race course.
While the rate proposed for cinema halls is lower than 40 to 55 per cent as per current incidence, it may not result in a reduction in tariffs on cinema tickets as states continue to hold right to levy local charges on them.
Hotels and lodges charging per day tariff of Rs 1,000 will be exempt from GST. Rate for hotels with tariff of Rs 1,000 to 2,000 per day would be 12 per cent while those with tariff of Rs 2,500 to Rs 5,000 would be 18 per cent.
GST for hotels with tariff above Rs 5,000 will be 28 per cent.
Jaitley said tax on gold and precious metals will be taken up at the next meeting of the Council on June 3.
GST on services was the main item discussed at the GST meet today, he said, adding that most services tax exemptions will be grandfathered and they will continue.
Net effect of GST will not be inflationary, he said, adding that healthcare and education services will continue to be exempted from tax under GST.
E-commerce players like Flipkart, Snapdeal will have to deduct 1 per cent TCS (tax collected at source) while making payments to suppliers, Adhia said.
There will be no tax on lottery.
Jaitley said July 1 will be the rollout date for GST. "We are in state of readiness."
- GST rates decided on 1,211 items, except gold 18 May 2017 | IANS
- India-US ties more stronger, matured: Jaitley 22 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Parl clears decks for GST rollout from July 1 06 Apr 2017 | PTI
- NITI Aayog for autonomy to scientific, research bodies 02 Apr 2017 | PTI
- India to grow at 7.7 pc in 2018; EMs face newer challenges: FM 01 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Jaitley introduces four GST bills in Lok Sabha 27 Mar 2017 | IANS
- Jaitley discusses GST, other economic issues with M'rashtra FM 26 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Delhi CM, 5 others put on trial in Jaitley defamation case 25 Mar 2017 | PTI
- GST Bills to be introduced in Parliament next week: FM 23 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Govt proposes to lower cash transaction cap to Rs 2 lakh 21 Mar 2017 | PTI
- After video of angry passenger, minister says he was not responsible for flight delay 22 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Will not allow 'Padmavati' to release in Gujarat: Rupani 22 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Parliament's winter session will be held, to be regular session: Jaitley 22 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Pak's judicial body orders release of Hafiz Saeed 22 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Islamic schools in Pakistan plagued by sex abuse of children 22 Nov 2017 | AP
- 'Fools' have accepted formula given by 'fools': Nitin Patel 22 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Indian Air Force ‚Äď World‚Äôs First To Possess Lethal Combination Of BRAHMOS and Sukhoi-30 22 Nov 2017 | Agencies
- UP civic polls: Voting underway for 1st phase; BJP will wineverywhere, says Adityanath 22 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Students working overtime to build Apple iPhone X: Report 22 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Hackers stole data from 57 million Uber riders, drivers: CEO 22 Nov 2017 | AFP
Sunday EditionView All
19 Nov 2017 | PNS | GANDHINAGAR
Addressing a gathering of people via video conferencing in Bharuch district of poll-bound Gujarat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday asked them to unite against casteism, terrorism, black money, corruption and communalism. “It is a strange environment…We must hold each others hand and move ahead…...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
In a major administrative reshuffle, the State government on Wednesday issued transfer orders to reshuffle 15 Indian Administrative Services (IAS) officers. Revenue Secretary P Narhari has been posted as Commissioner in Public Relations department...