Haryana BJP chief's son, friend sent to judicial custody till Aug 25
Haryana BJP chief Subhash Barala's son Vikas and his friend Ashish Kumar were today sent to the judicial custody till August 25 by a court here in the alleged stalking and attempt to abduction case of a 29-year- old woman.
Amid tight police security, both were presented before the court of duty magistrate Gaurav Dutta.
Defence counsel Surya Prakash said: "both the youths have been sent to 14 days of judicial custody".
They had been earlier sent to the police remand for two days till August 12.
The two accused were re-arrested on August 9 after they joined the police investigation and charged with attempted abduction under section 365 of the IPC and section 511, which relates to an attempt to commit an offence punishable with life or other imprisonment.
Police reconstructed the "crime" scene on August 10 -- six days after the incident took place -- in connection with the stalking and attempt to abduction incident.
The defence lawyer had earlier claimed that Vikas (23) and Ashish (27) had not committed any offence and said that a "media trial" was going on in the case.
They were arrested last week following the complaint of the IAS officer's daughter but released on bail as they had been booked under bailable sections of the IPC and the Motor Vehicles Act.
The stalking incident - and their release - triggered a nationwide outrage and a spate of protests.
Last night, several people in Chandigarh held a march 'Bekhauf Azaadi' in support of the victim, and to raise awareness on the women safety issue.
- MHA official, 3 others arrested for 'bribe-for-visa' case; orders inquiry 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Putin hails strategic partnership with India 21 May 2018 | IANS
- Modi invokes Vajpayee to assert India-Russia strategic ties 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Cong-JD(S) will give stable govt in K'taka: Kumaraswamy 21 May 2018 | IANS
- Informal summit takes India-Russia ties to new level: Modi 21 May 2018 | IANS
- Security forces have new mantra in Kashmir: Try to catch them alive 21 May 2018 | PTI
- K'taka Cong MLA says audio tape released by his party to frame BJP is 'fake' 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Dalit man beaten to death in Gujarat, 5 held 21 May 2018 | PTI
- PM Modi arrives in Sochi for informal summit with Putin 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Moody's downgrades PNB on the impact of Nirav Modi fraud 21 May 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 May 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A women’s youth camp under Go Rurban camp with the objective to connect rural and urban youth together will be held at village Sijora district Dindori. The basic idea of the camp is to build a stronger bridge in order to fill the gap between rural and urban society...