Haryana BJP chief's son, friend sent to judicial custody till Aug 25
Haryana BJP chief Subhash Barala's son Vikas and his friend Ashish Kumar were today sent to the judicial custody till August 25 by a court here in the alleged stalking and attempt to abduction case of a 29-year- old woman.
Amid tight police security, both were presented before the court of duty magistrate Gaurav Dutta.
Defence counsel Surya Prakash said: "both the youths have been sent to 14 days of judicial custody".
They had been earlier sent to the police remand for two days till August 12.
The two accused were re-arrested on August 9 after they joined the police investigation and charged with attempted abduction under section 365 of the IPC and section 511, which relates to an attempt to commit an offence punishable with life or other imprisonment.
Police reconstructed the "crime" scene on August 10 -- six days after the incident took place -- in connection with the stalking and attempt to abduction incident.
The defence lawyer had earlier claimed that Vikas (23) and Ashish (27) had not committed any offence and said that a "media trial" was going on in the case.
They were arrested last week following the complaint of the IAS officer's daughter but released on bail as they had been booked under bailable sections of the IPC and the Motor Vehicles Act.
The stalking incident - and their release - triggered a nationwide outrage and a spate of protests.
Last night, several people in Chandigarh held a march 'Bekhauf Azaadi' in support of the victim, and to raise awareness on the women safety issue.
- Beware of 'fake' samajwadis, Akhilesh tells party members 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- ED files charge sheet against Kashmiri separatist leader Shah 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Arvind Subramanian to continue as CEA, gets 1-yr extension 23 Sep 2017 | IANS
- Britain's May asks for transition deal after Brexit 23 Sep 2017 | AFP
- Swaraj to address UN General Assembly tonight 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Film producer Morani surrenders in rape case 23 Sep 2017 | IANS
- Iran tests new missile defying US warnings 23 Sep 2017 | AFP
- Development, not votes, is our priority: PM 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- India calls for global action to counter use of Internet for radicalisation 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Pak shells border posts, hamlets; BSF jawans among 7 injured 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter | New Delhi
A 38-year-old man has been arrested by the Farsh Bazaar police for allegedly duping people coming to ATM and fraudulently withdrawing their money. Twelve ATM cards have been recovered from his possession...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Sep 2017 | PNS | Ranchi
Cambrian Public School put up a great show and defeated Delhi Public School by 4/1 in the finals of the two-day Inter-School Football Tournament: ‘Ranchi Cup’-2017 at Delhi Public School, Ranchi on Friday. Subrata Dutta, Sr...