- India beat Bangladesh by four wickets to win Nidahas T20 Tri-Series
- Piyush Goyal junks report suggesting airline-like dynamic pricing in railway
- Bypoll defeats no referendum on BJP policies, programmes: Yogi
- NDA messed up economy, mismanaged JK: Manmohan Singh
- Putin eyes fourth term as Russians go to polls
- 3 AIIMS doctors enroute to Agra killed in accident on Yamuna e-way
- Five civilians killed in Pakistan firing on LoC
I-T dept seizes Rs 85cr cash, bullion from illegal Delhi vault
A total of Rs 85.2 crore in cash, bullion and jewelley have been seized by the Income Tax Department after it searched a private vault in Delhi as part of its anti-black money drive.
A fresh seizure of over Rs 23 crore in gold jewellery, biscuits, precious stones and cash was made yesterday by the sleuths of the investigation wing from the vault, official sources said.
Assets worth more than Rs 61 crore were seized by the department over the week from multiple lockers located in the private vault in the South Extension area of Delhi.
Sources privy to the operation said out of the total Rs 85.2 crore stash seized, Rs 8 crore is in cash (mostly Rs 2000 notes) while the rest is bullion, jewellery, diamonds and other precious stones.
The assets allegedly belong to some high networth (HNIs) individuals from Delhi like a builder, a gutkha trader and some businessmen based in the national capital.
They said that the department has initiated proceedings for tax evasion and under the benami assets law against the illegal vault holders.
"The case pertains to black money detected post demonetisation and some others being probed under the new anti-benami law.
"The lockers have been opened now and unaccounted assets seized," a senior official said.
The assesses did not allegedly declare these assets to the taxman and concealed them in these vaults.
Private lockers or vaults, that operate like normal bank lockers, are illegal and not recognised under the law.
- DK does it in style, India win Nidahas T20 18 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Rahul attacks Modi on corruption, promises galvanised party in 2019 'Kuruskshtra' battle 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Bangladesh set India 167-run target in final 18 Mar 2018 | PTI
- None can raise question on govt's integrity, intention: Rajnath 18 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Modi not fighting corruption, is corruption himself: Rahul 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Indian ethos includes respect for believers, non-believers: Dalai Lama 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Rahul Dravid files police complaint against ponzi firm 18 Mar 2018 | PTI
- BJP, RSS like Kauravas, designed to fight for power: Rahul 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- IITians should aspire to achieve best for society: President 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Demonetization was a greatest lie: Chidambaram 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
18 Mar 2018 | PNS
AAI conducts international workshop for utilizing GAGAN In keeping with the Prime Minister’s objective of using technology as a means of development and co-operation, Airports Authority of India has now offered GPS-aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) to SAARC and Southeast Asian countries in order to allow them to reap the significant benefits that accrue from such an advanced navigation system. AAI conducted a two-day workshop on March 15 and 16, 2018...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Leader of the Opposition in the state assembly Ajay Singh said that the claims of women well-wisher Chief Minister Shivraj Singh are deceiving as miscreants with minor offences are arrested with immediate effect, but in the matter related to a minister's son, Chouhan says enquiry would be conducted He further alleged that prime facie, minister's son was responsible for Preeti Raghuvanshi’s suicide. Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan today instructed police officials to...