I-T dept seizes Rs 85cr cash, bullion from illegal Delhi vault
A total of Rs 85.2 crore in cash, bullion and jewelley have been seized by the Income Tax Department after it searched a private vault in Delhi as part of its anti-black money drive.
A fresh seizure of over Rs 23 crore in gold jewellery, biscuits, precious stones and cash was made yesterday by the sleuths of the investigation wing from the vault, official sources said.
Assets worth more than Rs 61 crore were seized by the department over the week from multiple lockers located in the private vault in the South Extension area of Delhi.
Sources privy to the operation said out of the total Rs 85.2 crore stash seized, Rs 8 crore is in cash (mostly Rs 2000 notes) while the rest is bullion, jewellery, diamonds and other precious stones.
The assets allegedly belong to some high networth (HNIs) individuals from Delhi like a builder, a gutkha trader and some businessmen based in the national capital.
They said that the department has initiated proceedings for tax evasion and under the benami assets law against the illegal vault holders.
"The case pertains to black money detected post demonetisation and some others being probed under the new anti-benami law.
"The lockers have been opened now and unaccounted assets seized," a senior official said.
The assesses did not allegedly declare these assets to the taxman and concealed them in these vaults.
Private lockers or vaults, that operate like normal bank lockers, are illegal and not recognised under the law.
- India bowl out S. Africa for 258; need 287 to clinch second Test 16 Jan 2018 | IANS
- Delhi Assembly panel to look into sealing drive 16 Jan 2018 | IANS
- SC questions locus of BJP leader who filed appeal in Bofors case 16 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Congress hoodwinked people by laying foundation stones: Modi 16 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Benjamin Netanyahu, wife visit Taj Majal 16 Jan 2018 | IANS
- No Haj subsidy from this year: Naqvi 16 Jan 2018 | PTI
- US trying to convince Pak, India is not threat to Pak: Defence Minister 16 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Khattar govt bans release of "Padmaavat" in Haryana 16 Jan 2018 | PTI
- CJI met four senior-most judges of SC: Sources 16 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Trump goes after the Dem who surfaced his immigration remark 16 Jan 2018 | AP
Sunday EditionView All
14 Jan 2018 | AFP | Yangon
Myanmar’s civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi has welcomed an unprecedented army admission that security forces carried out extra-judicial killings of Rohingya Muslims as a “positive step”, state-backed media reported on Saturday. After months of staunch denials of abuse, the army on Wednesday said a probe found four members of the security forces helped kill 10 Rohingya militant suspects at Inn Din village on September 2, leaving their bodies in a...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Jan 2018 | PRAGYA PALLAVI | Ranchi
Annual Status of Education Report (ASER-2017) released on Tuesday covering 28 districts of 24 States on ‘Beyond Basics’- A survey of rural India youths, presented a gloomy picture of Jharkhand on a few basic parameters in comparison with the districts of Bihar, Odisha, West Bengal and Chhattisgarh. The survey based on 4 As (Activity, Ability, Awareness, Aspirations) covering the age group 14-18 years, Jharkhand lags behind in enrollment status, digital use,...