In talks with AIADMK (Amma) faction: Panneerselvam camp to SC
Former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister O Panneerselvam camp today informed the Supreme Court that they were in advanced talks with the rival AIADMK faction on the issue of merger.
A bench headed by Justices Dipak Misra posted the plea filed by AIADMK MLA K Pandiarajan, who is considered close to former chief minister Panneerselvam, for further hearing in July.
"We are in advanced talk with the rival faction on the issue of merger," counsel appearing for Pandiarajan told the bench which also comprised Justices A M Khanwilkar and M M Shantanagoudar.
The AIADMK MLA has challenged the decision of the Tamil Nadu Assembly Speaker rejecting their demand for a secret ballot during the February 18 trust vote won by Chief Minister E K Palaniswami.
He has sought a direction for quashing Speaker P Dhanapal's decision rejecting their demand for a secret ballot to determine the outcome of the floor test.
Besides, the petitioner has sought setting aside of all consequential actions including the February 18 resolution of the Assembly "expressing confidence in favour of council of ministers headed by Edappadi K Palaniswami, as the same are illegal, capricious, discriminatory and violative of the principle of 'secrecy' which is the essence of democracy, free and fair elections..."
He has also sought a direction to the Speaker to conduct a floor test afresh only through a secret ballot in the presence of "independent and impartial" observers nominated by the Supreme Court.
On February 18, jailed AIADMK general secretary V K Sasikala loyalist E K Palaniswami had won an easy trust vote 122-11, helped by the eviction of main opposition DMK and a walkout by its allies, amid stormy scenes during which mikes were uprooted, chairs toppled and sheets of papers torn and hurled around.
Pandiarajan has alleged that the proceedings during the February 18 vote were conducted in a "highly arbitrary and partisan manner, in utter violation of democratic norms and principles of natural justice".
"The request for secret ballot to decide the confidence motion on February 18 was rejected by the Speaker without any justifiable basis especially when there were specific averments and complaints that the MLAs belonging to the AIADMK (including some MLAs out of the group of 11 MLAs headed by the O Panneerselvam) were placed under virtual house arrest," the plea said.
It alleged the MLAs were under "extreme duress" and their affirmative vote during the proceedings on the February 18 was obtained "under the threat of force, fraud and coercion."
Pandiarajan has claimed that 122 MLAs belonging to AIADMK were "forcibly held hostage" at the Golden Bay Resort from February 8 till right before the voting on February 18.
He had alleged that the "undue haste" with which the proceedings took place and "complete lack of transparency and propriety" shown by the Speaker in continuing with the voting process was "arbitrary, malafide, and ought to be quashed".
He has claimed that Panneerselvam had given a representation on February 19 to the Governor of Tamil Nadu requesting him not to approve the February 18 resolution of the Assembly and urged him to fix another date for a fresh vote of confidence by secret ballot.
Pandiarajan said since the Governor has "not taken any steps" on the representation till date, he is "constrained to file the instant petition" in the apex court.
- Karnataka again says it can't release Cauvery water to TN 10 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Poll promises routinely unfulfilled, parties must be held accountable: CJI 08 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Uphaar case:Victims' body moves SC, wants Sushil Ansal in jail 07 Mar 2017 | PTI
- NBWs against Prajapati, passport impounded, look-out notice issued 04 Mar 2017 | PTI
- No mystery over Jayalalithaa death: TN CM 24 Feb 2017 | PTI
- TN CM moves confidence motion 18 Feb 2017 | IANS
- Trust vote stalled amid bedlam; proceedings disrupted 18 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Palaniswami wins crucial trust vote 18 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Centre will support TN govt irrespective of who CM is: Naidu 17 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Reply to petition against gen secy appointment: EC to Sasikala 17 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Rahul attacks PM over non-construction of super speciality hospital in Odisha 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Army chief reviews security situation along LoC 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Modi accuses Congress of ignoring cities 23 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Chidambaram rejects Jaitley's charge against Rahul Gandhi 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Kumaraswamy accuses Centre of taking unilateral decision on Cauvery panel 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- BJP will not allow Kashmir to get disintegrated from India: Shah 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- India summons Pak deputy HC over denial to envoy to meet pilgrims 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- 23 Air India flights delayed due to software malfunction 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- VP calls for mindset change for empowering widows 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Modi launches Mohanpura Irrigation project in MP 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
24 Jun 2018 | PNS
Book on Renewable Energy Technology Released Hon’ble Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Power, New and Renewable Energy, Shri RK Singh released a book titled “Renewable Energy Technology” co-authored by Shri IS Jha, CMD (POWERGRID), Shri Subir Sen, COO (CTU Planning &Smart Grid) POWERGRID, Shri Manish Kumar Tiwari, Asst GM (Smart Grid) POWERGRID and Prof DP Kothari in the august presence of CMD, POWERGRID, senior officials of Ministry of....
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Jun 2018 | PNS | RANCHI
Taking the vision of ‘New India’ and the challenges ahead among the aspiring business managers, Minister of State for Civil Aviation, Jayant Sinha discussed elaborately on the concept of ‘Farms to Frontiers’ to accelerate the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth rate while addressing the students of new batch of Indian Institute of Management-Ranchi (2018-2020) here on Saturday. Sharing his insights, understanding of business ventures and a few examples from his public...