India awaiting response from Pak on NIA visit
India is awaiting a response from Pakistan on a visit by an NIA team there to review progress in Pathankot investigation, nearly three weeks after Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar had raised the issue with his Pakistani counterpart here.
During a meeting with Pakistan Foreign Secretary Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhry on April 26, Jaishankar had highlighted the need to review progress in Pathankot investigation, for which an NIA Team could visit Pakistan.
"We are ascertaining Pakistan's response. Details will be worked out subsequently," a government source said while reacting to reports of NIA seeking to visit Pakistan.
National Investigation Agency (NIA) has already said that it would like to visit Pakistan to carry forward the investigation in the Pathankot attack. A letter is being sent to the MEA for further communication to Pakistan, NIA sources said.
A Pakistan JIT had visited India in March in connection with the probe in the Pathankot terror attack perpetrated by the Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM).
After the visit, NIA DG had said that the interaction with JIT was held in accordance with terms of reference mutually agreed on the basis of reciprocity.
The terrorists had entered the strategic air base at Pathankot on the intervening night of January one-two and mounted the brazen assault. In the fierce encounter that ensued, seven security personnel besides four terrorists were killed.
- CBI arrests Rotomac firm owner Vikram Kothari, son 22 Feb 2018 | IANS
- CBI busts Whatsapp-based global child porn racket 22 Feb 2018 | IANS
- India ascertaining how visa issued to Khalistan separatist 22 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Canada, India committed to diversity, trip yielded $1 bn investment: Trudeau 22 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Maldives President turns down UN Secretary-General's mediation offer 22 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Allahabad HC refuses plea against UP CM in 2007 riot case 22 Feb 2018 | IANS
- MEA ascertaining details from Mission on Atwal getting visa 22 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Delhi government staff to observe 5-minutes silence as protest every day 22 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Ajmal objects but Army defends chief's remarks on AIUDF's rise 22 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Come up with implementable plan to repay dues: PNB to Nirav Modi 22 Feb 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Feb 2018 | PNS | BHUBANESWAR
The BJP on Thursday alleged that five officers of the Chief Minister’s Office are supplying huge amounts of black money for distribution among by-poll bound Bijepur voters and demanded that they be kept under surveillance of the Chief Electoral Officer. A team of BJP leaders led by former Chief Minister Giridhar Gamang submitted a memorandum to the CEO in this regard...