India awaiting response from Pak on NIA visit
India is awaiting a response from Pakistan on a visit by an NIA team there to review progress in Pathankot investigation, nearly three weeks after Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar had raised the issue with his Pakistani counterpart here.
During a meeting with Pakistan Foreign Secretary Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhry on April 26, Jaishankar had highlighted the need to review progress in Pathankot investigation, for which an NIA Team could visit Pakistan.
"We are ascertaining Pakistan's response. Details will be worked out subsequently," a government source said while reacting to reports of NIA seeking to visit Pakistan.
National Investigation Agency (NIA) has already said that it would like to visit Pakistan to carry forward the investigation in the Pathankot attack. A letter is being sent to the MEA for further communication to Pakistan, NIA sources said.
A Pakistan JIT had visited India in March in connection with the probe in the Pathankot terror attack perpetrated by the Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM).
After the visit, NIA DG had said that the interaction with JIT was held in accordance with terms of reference mutually agreed on the basis of reciprocity.
The terrorists had entered the strategic air base at Pathankot on the intervening night of January one-two and mounted the brazen assault. In the fierce encounter that ensued, seven security personnel besides four terrorists were killed.
- Fuel prices will come down soon: Pradhan 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- 3.5-magnitude quake rattles N Korea near nuclear test site 23 Sep 2017 | AFP
- Senior journalist, mother murdered in Mohali house 23 Sep 2017 | IANS
- We all lied about Jaya's health condition: TN Minister 23 Sep 2017 | IANS
- Does NKorean H-bomb threat push US closer to war? 23 Sep 2017 | AP
- Beware of 'fake' samajwadis, Akhilesh tells party members 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- ED files charge sheet against Kashmiri separatist leader Shah 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Arvind Subramanian to continue as CEA, gets 1-yr extension 23 Sep 2017 | IANS
- Britain's May asks for transition deal after Brexit 23 Sep 2017 | AFP
- Swaraj to address UN General Assembly tonight 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
24 Sep 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA | Mumbai
In a clear indication of an irreconcilable rift between it and its senior alliance partner BJP, the Shiv Sena on Saturday staged simultaneous protests at 12 places across the metropolis against the hike in prices of fuel, essential commodities and domestic gas cylinders. Amid intense speculation that Sena president Uddhav Thackeray — during his Dussehra rally to be held next week — might announce withdrawal of his party’s support to the...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Sep 2017 | PNS | Ranchi
Chief Minister Raghubar Das on Saturday said that the foundation for new power plant at Patratu — a joint venture of Jharkhand Government and National Thermal Power Corruption (NTPC) will be laid soon. During a meeting with NTPC Chairman Gurdeep Singh here on Thursday CM said that the plant will not only fill the energy gap in State but will also be able to supply power to other States...