J&K FM Haseeb Drabu sacked over controversial statement
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti on Monday decided to sack senior PDP leader and Finance Minister Haseeb Drabu from her Council of Ministers over his controversial remarks about the state.
The Chief Minister sent a letter to Governor N.N. Vohra informing that she had decided to remove Drabu, sources close to Mehbooba Mufti told IANS.
Drabu had sparked a storm by stating that Jammu and Kashmir was not a political problem or a conflict state.
The Peoples Democratic Party had on Sunday asked Drabu to explain his position since the statement he made, at an event organised by the PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry in New Delhi on March 9, was a negation of the stated position of the party.
Both mainstream and separatist parties had criticised the PDP for Drabua's remarks asserting that the statement was proof of the "political sellout made by the party to remain in power".
The PDP, however, on Sunday said that it recognises the state as a political issue and ever since its advent the party has relentlessly been pursuing its resolution through reconciliation and dialogue, both at internal and external levels.
Interestingly, Drabu was the PDP's pointsman who worked out the draft of the agenda of alliance the BJP.
It was after signing the agenda of alliance with the BJP that the PDP came to power after the 2014 assembly elections.
- MEA seeks report from Lucknow passport office on inter-faith couple's complaint 21 Jun 2018 | PTI
- History will never forgive BJP for its greed in Kashmir: Sena 21 Jun 2018 | PTI
- India hikes import duty on certain US products 21 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Yoga powerful unifying force in strife-torn world: PM Modi 21 Jun 2018 | PTI
- 12 killed as tractor-trolley hits jeep in MP 21 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Pressure groups broke dream of balanced development in J-K: Shah 20 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Rohit clears YoYo test, takes a dig at critics 20 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Difficult, but decision taken in larger interest: Ram Madhav 20 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Vice Prez to take part in Yoga Day event in Mumbai tomorrow 20 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Modi's Kashmir policy correct: Rajnath Singh 20 Jun 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Jun 2018 | PNS | Dehradun
Uttarakhand Transport Corporation (UTC) would use 180 buses of its fleet on Dehradun and Haridwar routes to ferry the Yoga participants from Haridwar and also to take them back after the International Yoga Day show at Forest Research Institute (FRI) in Dehradun is over. Divisional manager (Operational) UTC Dehradun, Pawan Mehra while talking to The pioneer said on Wednesday that around 280 busses operate from Dehradun depot...