- India set South Africa 204- run target in 1st T20
- Moderate polling in Tripura Assembly elections
- PNB fraud fuelled during demonetisation: Bengal CM
- Shame on you! student tells Trump at Florida anti-gun rally
- Modi inaugurates new BJP headquarters in Delhi
- Naval chopper tender: AgustaWestland withdraws plea from HC on bank guarantee
- Sebi may give fresh push to loan default disclosure by listed firms
Justice Karnan approaches prez for suspension of SC order
The lawyers representing Calcutta High Court judge C S Karnan have claimed that a representation has been made to the president seeking suspension of the Supreme Court order sentencing him to six months imprisonment for contempt of court.
However, the president's office said, "It was not aware of any such representation."
The lawyers yesterday said a memorandum/representation under Article 72 of the Constitution was sent through e-mail on behalf of Justice Karnan seeking "suspension/stay of his sentence of six months imposed on him" by a seven-judge bench headed by Chief Justice J S Khehar.
Article 72 states that the president shall have the power to grant pardons, reprieves, respites or remissions of punishment or to suspend, remit or commute the sentence of any person convicted of any offence.
The representation prepared by Justice Karnan's counsel Mathews J Nedumpara and A C Philip referred to the developments since the May 9 judgement.
His lawyers had earlier claimed that the judge had shot off letters to the president, the prime minister and others against his jail term.
Justice Karnan has also moved a petition in the apex court seeking recall of the May 9 order but has been denied urgent hearing by the CJI.
- Former coal secy H C Gupta convicted in a coal scam case 19 May 2017 | PTI
- In talks with AIADMK (Amma) faction: Panneerselvam camp to SC 21 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Karnataka again says it can't release Cauvery water to TN 10 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Poll promises routinely unfulfilled, parties must be held accountable: CJI 08 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Uphaar case:Victims' body moves SC, wants Sushil Ansal in jail 07 Mar 2017 | PTI
- NBWs against Prajapati, passport impounded, look-out notice issued 04 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Crucial verdict in case agnst Sasikala tom to decide her fate 13 Feb 2017 | PTI
- SC orders attachment of Sahara's prime Aamby Valley property 06 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Alternative voting rights for domestic migrants not possible now: EC 29 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Jallikattu supporters taken into custody 14 Jan 2017 | PTI
- India aspires to and moving towards a $5 tn economy: PM 18 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Dhawan and Bhuvneshwar shine as India begin T20 series in style 18 Feb 2018 | PTI
- India set South Africa 204- run target in 1st T20 18 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Nirav fraud: PNB officials took commission to sign LoUs 18 Feb 2018 | IANS
- CM presence in Goa Assembly session doubtful, panel to decide on curtailment 18 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Moderate polling in Tripura Assembly elections 18 Feb 2018 | IANS
- PNB fraud fuelled during demonetisation: Bengal CM 18 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Will consult legal experts on appealing against Cauvery verdict: TN CM 18 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Diamond is now fraudster's best friend! Nexus under scanner 18 Feb 2018 | PTI
- School students set to present social projects at UN 18 Feb 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
Chief Minister Raman Singh on Saturday dedicated to the people of the State an interntional standard 'Swami Vivekananda Stadium' built at a cost of Rs 17 crore at Kota in Raipur. After inaugurating the stadium, the Chief Minister had a look at various facilities at the stadium...