Justice Karnan approaches prez for suspension of SC order
The lawyers representing Calcutta High Court judge C S Karnan have claimed that a representation has been made to the president seeking suspension of the Supreme Court order sentencing him to six months imprisonment for contempt of court.
However, the president's office said, "It was not aware of any such representation."
The lawyers yesterday said a memorandum/representation under Article 72 of the Constitution was sent through e-mail on behalf of Justice Karnan seeking "suspension/stay of his sentence of six months imposed on him" by a seven-judge bench headed by Chief Justice J S Khehar.
Article 72 states that the president shall have the power to grant pardons, reprieves, respites or remissions of punishment or to suspend, remit or commute the sentence of any person convicted of any offence.
The representation prepared by Justice Karnan's counsel Mathews J Nedumpara and A C Philip referred to the developments since the May 9 judgement.
His lawyers had earlier claimed that the judge had shot off letters to the president, the prime minister and others against his jail term.
Justice Karnan has also moved a petition in the apex court seeking recall of the May 9 order but has been denied urgent hearing by the CJI.
- Former coal secy H C Gupta convicted in a coal scam case 19 May 2017 | PTI
- In talks with AIADMK (Amma) faction: Panneerselvam camp to SC 21 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Karnataka again says it can't release Cauvery water to TN 10 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Poll promises routinely unfulfilled, parties must be held accountable: CJI 08 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Uphaar case:Victims' body moves SC, wants Sushil Ansal in jail 07 Mar 2017 | PTI
- NBWs against Prajapati, passport impounded, look-out notice issued 04 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Crucial verdict in case agnst Sasikala tom to decide her fate 13 Feb 2017 | PTI
- SC orders attachment of Sahara's prime Aamby Valley property 06 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Alternative voting rights for domestic migrants not possible now: EC 29 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Jallikattu supporters taken into custody 14 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Mamata daydreaming about dislodging Modi: Javadekar 22 Jul 2017 | IANS
- Sharif's brother to replace him in case of conviction: report 22 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Seven cops thrashed by Army personnel in Kashmir, case filed 22 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Indian women's cricket team eyes slice of history, glory 22 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Ginsburg: Justices felt Trump travel ban 'too restrictive' 22 Jul 2017 | AP
- Reduce tension through direct dialogue:Pentagon to India,China 22 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Actively working towards clean political funding: Jaitley 22 Jul 2017 | IANS
- Only BJP and Communists can claim internal democracy: Amit Shah 21 Jul 2017 | IANS
- CBI arrests banker, Surat firm director in Rs 836 crore scam 21 Jul 2017 | IANS
- Trinamool to launch 'BJP Quit India' movement: Mamata 21 Jul 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
16 Jul 2017 | PNS | Lucknow
The Congress would launch a protest campaign both against the Centre as well as UP Government starting from next month. “People are feeling the pinch of unpopular decision of Modi Government like demonetisation, GST etc so now we will raise the people voice by protesting on all the district head-quarters in the State on August 9 on occasion of August Kranti Day”, disclosed chairman of the UPCC media...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Jul 2017 | Nityanand Dubey | Garhwa
The district administration has begun preparations for the district-level Independence Day function. Garhwa Deputy Commissioner Neha Arora on Thursday convened a meeting with officials of various departments and citizens at conference hall...