Justice Karnan approaches prez for suspension of SC order
The lawyers representing Calcutta High Court judge C S Karnan have claimed that a representation has been made to the president seeking suspension of the Supreme Court order sentencing him to six months imprisonment for contempt of court.
However, the president's office said, "It was not aware of any such representation."
The lawyers yesterday said a memorandum/representation under Article 72 of the Constitution was sent through e-mail on behalf of Justice Karnan seeking "suspension/stay of his sentence of six months imposed on him" by a seven-judge bench headed by Chief Justice J S Khehar.
Article 72 states that the president shall have the power to grant pardons, reprieves, respites or remissions of punishment or to suspend, remit or commute the sentence of any person convicted of any offence.
The representation prepared by Justice Karnan's counsel Mathews J Nedumpara and A C Philip referred to the developments since the May 9 judgement.
His lawyers had earlier claimed that the judge had shot off letters to the president, the prime minister and others against his jail term.
Justice Karnan has also moved a petition in the apex court seeking recall of the May 9 order but has been denied urgent hearing by the CJI.
- Former coal secy H C Gupta convicted in a coal scam case 19 May 2017 | PTI
- In talks with AIADMK (Amma) faction: Panneerselvam camp to SC 21 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Karnataka again says it can't release Cauvery water to TN 10 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Poll promises routinely unfulfilled, parties must be held accountable: CJI 08 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Uphaar case:Victims' body moves SC, wants Sushil Ansal in jail 07 Mar 2017 | PTI
- NBWs against Prajapati, passport impounded, look-out notice issued 04 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Crucial verdict in case agnst Sasikala tom to decide her fate 13 Feb 2017 | PTI
- SC orders attachment of Sahara's prime Aamby Valley property 06 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Alternative voting rights for domestic migrants not possible now: EC 29 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Jallikattu supporters taken into custody 14 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Cash crunch: I-T says 97 pc of poll seizures in Ktaka in high-denomination notes 21 Apr 2018 | PTI
- India's role to expand in Indo-Pacific region: IMF 21 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Union cabinet approves ordinance for death penalty for rape of children 21 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Yashwant Sinha announces end of his association with BJP 21 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Asaram verdict: Security stepped up around victim's house 21 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Global showbiz world pays tribute to music genius Avicii 21 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Impeachment notice against CJI 'attack on judiciary': Vijay Goel 21 Apr 2018 | PTI
- North Korea suspends nuclear, missile tests 21 Apr 2018 | IANS
- NIA chargesheets Hizbul chief's son for raising funds for terror acts 20 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Ordinance likely to award death penalty for raping children up to 12 yrs 20 Apr 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter | New Delhi
Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal on Saturday inspected Anand Vihar ISBT area and reviewed issues related to traffic, parking, encroachment and sanitation. He directed Delhi Integrated Multi-Modal Transit System Ltd (DIMTS) and East Delhi Municipal Corporation to remove all unauthorised encroachments near the entry point of Anand Vihar ISBT and surrounding footpaths to facilitate easy movement of pedestrians...