Lockheed Martin, Tata ink deal to make F-16 fighters in India
Tata Group and American aerospace giant Lockheed Martin today signed an "unprecedented" deal to jointly produce the combat-proven F-16 fighter jets in India, boosting Prime Minister Narendra Modi's 'Make in India' plan ahead of his first summit with US President Donald Trump.
Under the deal, Lockheed will shift its Fort Worth, Texas plant to India without directly affecting American jobs, a campaign pledge of Trump who has vowed to put "America First".
The deal announced on the sidelines of the Paris Airshow between Tata Advanced Systems Limited and Lockheed is ideally suited to meet the Indian Air Force's single-engine fighter needs.
The two companies said this unmatched US-Indian industry partnership directly supports New Delhi's initiative to develop private aerospace and defence manufacturing capacity in the country under the 'Make in India' initiative.
"This agreement builds on the already established joint venture between Lockheed Martin and Tata and underscores the relationship and commitment between the two companies," said N Chandrasekaran, chairman of Tata Sons.
The company said the "unprecedented" F-16 production partnership between the world's largest defence contractor and India's premier industrial house provides India the opportunity to produce, operate and export F-16 Block 70 aircraft, the newest and most advanced version of the world's most successful, combat-proven multi-role fighter.
- Narasimhan move raises political storm in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh 25 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Data breach: Govt again sends notices to CA, Facebook 25 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Eastern Peripheral Expressway : Innovation beats the clock 25 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Delhi Mtero hikes parking rate 25 Apr 2018 | PNS
- SC questions Centre on mandatory seeding of Aadhaar with mobile 25 Apr 2018 | PTI
- North Korea nuclear test site part-collapsed: Chinese experts 25 Apr 2018 | AFP
- PNB to hire detective agencies to locate untraceable borrowers 25 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Congress video shows Modi with Asaram 25 Apr 2018 | IANS
- SC judges urge CJI to hold full court on issues plaguing judiciary 25 Apr 2018 | PTI
- CBI cracks Kotkhai rape case 25 Apr 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | PTI | Ahmedabad
A mild tremor measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale was felt in parts of south Gujarat, including Bharuch and Surat districts, though no damage was reported, officials said...
STATE EDITIONSView All
26 Apr 2018 | PNS | BRAHMAPUR
The ICAR-Central Institute of Freshwater Aquaculture (CIFA) in collaboration with the State Fisheries Department, Ganjam zone, conducted an awareness meet for tribal students entitled "Fish as Healthy Food” at Badapalli Ashram School in Digapahandi block on April 20. More than 350 students from seven nearby schools participated in a meet with their teachers...