Lockheed Martin, Tata ink deal to make F-16 fighters in India
Tata Group and American aerospace giant Lockheed Martin today signed an "unprecedented" deal to jointly produce the combat-proven F-16 fighter jets in India, boosting Prime Minister Narendra Modi's 'Make in India' plan ahead of his first summit with US President Donald Trump.
Under the deal, Lockheed will shift its Fort Worth, Texas plant to India without directly affecting American jobs, a campaign pledge of Trump who has vowed to put "America First".
The deal announced on the sidelines of the Paris Airshow between Tata Advanced Systems Limited and Lockheed is ideally suited to meet the Indian Air Force's single-engine fighter needs.
The two companies said this unmatched US-Indian industry partnership directly supports New Delhi's initiative to develop private aerospace and defence manufacturing capacity in the country under the 'Make in India' initiative.
"This agreement builds on the already established joint venture between Lockheed Martin and Tata and underscores the relationship and commitment between the two companies," said N Chandrasekaran, chairman of Tata Sons.
The company said the "unprecedented" F-16 production partnership between the world's largest defence contractor and India's premier industrial house provides India the opportunity to produce, operate and export F-16 Block 70 aircraft, the newest and most advanced version of the world's most successful, combat-proven multi-role fighter.
- VP calls for mindset change for empowering widows 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Modi launches Mohanpura Irrigation project in MP 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Nepal to maintain close ties with India and China : Oli 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Calling Rahul jehadi-Maoist sympathiser is absurd: Chidambaram 23 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Trump declares NKorea still poses "extraordinary threat" 23 Jun 2018 | AP
- Modi to unveil several development projects in MP today 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Shah to address rally in Jammu tomorrow 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Indian contingent, part of UN peacekeeping mission, awarded 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Surat court issues arrest warrant against Nirav Modi 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- EC registers Haasan's party MNM 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Jun 2018 | PNS | Kochi
MCD still waiting for HC order on encroachment Dehradun: Days after the High Court ordered the officials to remove encroachment from different areas of Dehradun like markets, streets and footpaths in four weeks, the officials concerned said on Friday that they were still waiting for the order to come. They, however, assured that they would execute the order once they get a copy and read it thoroughly...