Lockheed Martin, Tata ink deal to make F-16 fighters in India
Tata Group and American aerospace giant Lockheed Martin today signed an "unprecedented" deal to jointly produce the combat-proven F-16 fighter jets in India, boosting Prime Minister Narendra Modi's 'Make in India' plan ahead of his first summit with US President Donald Trump.
Under the deal, Lockheed will shift its Fort Worth, Texas plant to India without directly affecting American jobs, a campaign pledge of Trump who has vowed to put "America First".
The deal announced on the sidelines of the Paris Airshow between Tata Advanced Systems Limited and Lockheed is ideally suited to meet the Indian Air Force's single-engine fighter needs.
The two companies said this unmatched US-Indian industry partnership directly supports New Delhi's initiative to develop private aerospace and defence manufacturing capacity in the country under the 'Make in India' initiative.
"This agreement builds on the already established joint venture between Lockheed Martin and Tata and underscores the relationship and commitment between the two companies," said N Chandrasekaran, chairman of Tata Sons.
The company said the "unprecedented" F-16 production partnership between the world's largest defence contractor and India's premier industrial house provides India the opportunity to produce, operate and export F-16 Block 70 aircraft, the newest and most advanced version of the world's most successful, combat-proven multi-role fighter.
- 'Musharraf claims Zardari responsible for Benazir's killing' 21 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Rescuers in grim search for survivors of Mexico quake 21 Sep 2017 | AFP
- SC warns BCCI officials over draft constitution 21 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Rane quits Cong, says it didn't keep promise of making him CM 21 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Kejriwal invites Kamal to joint active politics 21 Sep 2017 | IANS
- HC allows Durga idol immersion on all days, including Muharram 21 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Dawood in 'setting' with government to return to India: Raj Thackeray 21 Sep 2017 | IANS
- Sonia writes to Modi on women's reservation bill 21 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Three killed, 30 injured in Kashmir grenade attack 21 Sep 2017 | IANS
- CBI arrests retired HC judge, 4 others in corruption case 21 Sep 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter | New Delhi
A 38-year-old man has been arrested by the Farsh Bazaar police for allegedly duping people coming to ATM and fraudulently withdrawing their money. Twelve ATM cards have been recovered from his possession...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Sep 2017 | PNS | Ranchi
With the objective to create awareness among the budding football stars of the Capital City and to motivate the footballers of the U/17 age group, Delhi Public School in association with Hermes Voyage Kolkata will host its first ever Inter School Football Tournament: ‘Ranchi Cup-2017’. The tournament will be organised on the campus premises on September 21 and September 22...