Two girl students die in Maharashtra boat capsize
Two teenage girls were killed and six others were missing after a boat carrying 40 students for a picnic capsized off the Dahanu coast in Maharashtra on Saturday, an official said.
Hundreds of parents crowded the Parnaka Beach, wailing and crying as bodies of the two girls were fished out of the Arabian Sea after the tragedy struck the picnickers of the K.L. Ponda High School and Junior College.
Thirty-two of the children were rescued in a massive search and rescue operation, launched after the students fell into waters around five km in the sea off the beach.
A combined team of the Indian Coast Guard along with the police and maritime authorities were searching the remaining six students amidst fears of rising casualties.
The bodies of the two students recovered have been identified as Sonal Surti and Jahnvi Surti, both 17, from Ambedkar Nagar area of Dahanu, the official said.
The students were out on an annual picnic trip.
According to eyewitness accounts, the tragedy was apparently triggered when some students reportedly crowded on one side of the boat to click selfies, resulting in the loss of balance as the vessel capsized.
Officials, however, have declined to comment on this.
A combined sea and air operation was on and the local fishing community has also pitched in for the rescue operation.
The coast guard has diverted at least three ships and two aircraft to the site.
- India bowl out S. Africa for 258; need 287 to clinch second Test 16 Jan 2018 | IANS
- Delhi Assembly panel to look into sealing drive 16 Jan 2018 | IANS
- SC questions locus of BJP leader who filed appeal in Bofors case 16 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Congress hoodwinked people by laying foundation stones: Modi 16 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Benjamin Netanyahu, wife visit Taj Majal 16 Jan 2018 | IANS
- No Haj subsidy from this year: Naqvi 16 Jan 2018 | PTI
- US trying to convince Pak, India is not threat to Pak: Defence Minister 16 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Khattar govt bans release of "Padmaavat" in Haryana 16 Jan 2018 | PTI
- CJI met four senior-most judges of SC: Sources 16 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Trump goes after the Dem who surfaced his immigration remark 16 Jan 2018 | AP
Sunday EditionView All
14 Jan 2018 | AFP | Yangon
Myanmar’s civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi has welcomed an unprecedented army admission that security forces carried out extra-judicial killings of Rohingya Muslims as a “positive step”, state-backed media reported on Saturday. After months of staunch denials of abuse, the army on Wednesday said a probe found four members of the security forces helped kill 10 Rohingya militant suspects at Inn Din village on September 2, leaving their bodies in a...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Jan 2018 | PRAGYA PALLAVI | Ranchi
Annual Status of Education Report (ASER-2017) released on Tuesday covering 28 districts of 24 States on ‘Beyond Basics’- A survey of rural India youths, presented a gloomy picture of Jharkhand on a few basic parameters in comparison with the districts of Bihar, Odisha, West Bengal and Chhattisgarh. The survey based on 4 As (Activity, Ability, Awareness, Aspirations) covering the age group 14-18 years, Jharkhand lags behind in enrollment status, digital use,...