- India beat Bangladesh by four wickets to win Nidahas T20 Tri-Series
- Piyush Goyal junks report suggesting airline-like dynamic pricing in railway
- Bypoll defeats no referendum on BJP policies, programmes: Yogi
- NDA messed up economy, mismanaged JK: Manmohan Singh
- Putin eyes fourth term as Russians go to polls
- 3 AIIMS doctors enroute to Agra killed in accident on Yamuna e-way
- Five civilians killed in Pakistan firing on LoC
Two girl students die in Maharashtra boat capsize
Two teenage girls were killed and six others were missing after a boat carrying 40 students for a picnic capsized off the Dahanu coast in Maharashtra on Saturday, an official said.
Hundreds of parents crowded the Parnaka Beach, wailing and crying as bodies of the two girls were fished out of the Arabian Sea after the tragedy struck the picnickers of the K.L. Ponda High School and Junior College.
Thirty-two of the children were rescued in a massive search and rescue operation, launched after the students fell into waters around five km in the sea off the beach.
A combined team of the Indian Coast Guard along with the police and maritime authorities were searching the remaining six students amidst fears of rising casualties.
The bodies of the two students recovered have been identified as Sonal Surti and Jahnvi Surti, both 17, from Ambedkar Nagar area of Dahanu, the official said.
The students were out on an annual picnic trip.
According to eyewitness accounts, the tragedy was apparently triggered when some students reportedly crowded on one side of the boat to click selfies, resulting in the loss of balance as the vessel capsized.
Officials, however, have declined to comment on this.
A combined sea and air operation was on and the local fishing community has also pitched in for the rescue operation.
The coast guard has diverted at least three ships and two aircraft to the site.
- DK does it in style, India win Nidahas T20 18 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Rahul attacks Modi on corruption, promises galvanised party in 2019 'Kuruskshtra' battle 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Bangladesh set India 167-run target in final 18 Mar 2018 | PTI
- None can raise question on govt's integrity, intention: Rajnath 18 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Modi not fighting corruption, is corruption himself: Rahul 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Indian ethos includes respect for believers, non-believers: Dalai Lama 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Rahul Dravid files police complaint against ponzi firm 18 Mar 2018 | PTI
- BJP, RSS like Kauravas, designed to fight for power: Rahul 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- IITians should aspire to achieve best for society: President 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Demonetization was a greatest lie: Chidambaram 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
18 Mar 2018 | PNS
AAI conducts international workshop for utilizing GAGAN In keeping with the Prime Minister’s objective of using technology as a means of development and co-operation, Airports Authority of India has now offered GPS-aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) to SAARC and Southeast Asian countries in order to allow them to reap the significant benefits that accrue from such an advanced navigation system. AAI conducted a two-day workshop on March 15 and 16, 2018...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Leader of the Opposition in the state assembly Ajay Singh said that the claims of women well-wisher Chief Minister Shivraj Singh are deceiving as miscreants with minor offences are arrested with immediate effect, but in the matter related to a minister's son, Chouhan says enquiry would be conducted He further alleged that prime facie, minister's son was responsible for Preeti Raghuvanshi’s suicide. Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan today instructed police officials to...