Two girl students die in Maharashtra boat capsize
Two teenage girls were killed and six others were missing after a boat carrying 40 students for a picnic capsized off the Dahanu coast in Maharashtra on Saturday, an official said.
Hundreds of parents crowded the Parnaka Beach, wailing and crying as bodies of the two girls were fished out of the Arabian Sea after the tragedy struck the picnickers of the K.L. Ponda High School and Junior College.
Thirty-two of the children were rescued in a massive search and rescue operation, launched after the students fell into waters around five km in the sea off the beach.
A combined team of the Indian Coast Guard along with the police and maritime authorities were searching the remaining six students amidst fears of rising casualties.
The bodies of the two students recovered have been identified as Sonal Surti and Jahnvi Surti, both 17, from Ambedkar Nagar area of Dahanu, the official said.
The students were out on an annual picnic trip.
According to eyewitness accounts, the tragedy was apparently triggered when some students reportedly crowded on one side of the boat to click selfies, resulting in the loss of balance as the vessel capsized.
Officials, however, have declined to comment on this.
A combined sea and air operation was on and the local fishing community has also pitched in for the rescue operation.
The coast guard has diverted at least three ships and two aircraft to the site.
- Amit Shah slams Assam's social media team 25 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Delhi HC stays cutting of trees till July 4 25 Jun 2018 | PTI
- SC to hear on plea of 18 disqualified AIADMK MLAs 25 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Five killed as rains clobber Maharashtra, road, rail traffic hit 25 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Shah asks workers to ensure 50 pc vote share; asserts BJP won't allow anyone to abolish reservations 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- PM Modi visits AIIMS to enquire on Vajpayee's health 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- FIR against former CM Siddaramaiah in land denotification case 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- 2 LeT militants killed in encounter in south Kashmir 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Mehbooba hits back at Shah 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Emergency turned democracy into constitutional dictatorship: Jaitley 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
24 Jun 2018 | PNS
Book on Renewable Energy Technology Released Hon’ble Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Power, New and Renewable Energy, Shri RK Singh released a book titled “Renewable Energy Technology” co-authored by Shri IS Jha, CMD (POWERGRID), Shri Subir Sen, COO (CTU Planning &Smart Grid) POWERGRID, Shri Manish Kumar Tiwari, Asst GM (Smart Grid) POWERGRID and Prof DP Kothari in the august presence of CMD, POWERGRID, senior officials of Ministry of....
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 Jun 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Recognising the intent and passion of the Central Sarna Committee in safeguarding tribal customs as well as in infusing modern practices into the tribal community, Chief Minister Raghubar Das called upon the people to extend their support to the cause. The Chief Minister, in the same breath, rapped 'anti-national' forces who he alleged are attacking open culture of the community and said that the Government is here to protect the rights...