NGT bans open defecation, waste dumping on Yamuna floodplains
The National Green Tribunal (NGT) today banned open defecation and dumping of waste on the floodplains of the Yamuna and announced an environment compensation of Rs 5,000 for those who violated the diktat.
A bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Swatanter Kumar also constituted a committee headed by Delhi Jal Board CEO to oversee the execution of work pertaining to cleaning of the river and asked it to submit reports at regular intervals.
The Delhi government and the municipal corporations were directed to immediately take action against industries which operate in residential areas and are a major source of pollution to the river.
The green panel noted that almost 67 per cent of the pollution reaching the Yamuna would be treated by the two sewage treatment plants (STP) located at Delhi Gate and Najafgarh under Phase 1 of the 'Maili se Nirmal Yamuna Revitalisation Project 2017'.
The apex green panel had on May 1 ordered inspection of the STPs at Delhi Gate and Okhla with a view to ensure that wastewater was cleaned before it reached the Yamuna. It had sought a report with regard to functioning of these plants.
The tribunal was informed that a total of 14 STP projects are to be constructed to clean wastewater. Of these, seven are to be built by the Delhi Jal Board with its own funds.
The directions came as the NGT was hearing a plea on the monitoring of implementation of the 'Maili se Nirmal Yamuna Revitalisation Project 2017'.
- Delhi's water woes to ebb by tomorrow: CM 17 May 2017 | PTI
- NGT junks AOL's plea for acceptance of fine as bank guarantee 31 May 2016 | PTI
- PM shares drought concern, pitches for mass campaign to save water 24 Apr 2016 | PTI
- NGT unhappy over Sri Sri's remark; AOL to pay Rs 25L today 11 Mar 2016 | PTI
- AoL given three weeks to deposit Rs.5 crore 11 Mar 2016 | IANS
- Will go to jail but not pay a penny: Ravi Shankar on NGT fine 10 Mar 2016 | PTI
- NGT clears AOL event on Yamuna riverbed 09 Mar 2016 | PTI
- AOL event near Yamuna 'disaster': Delhi HC 09 Mar 2016 | IANS
- No permission for AOL event: Water Resources Ministry to NGT 09 Mar 2016 | PTI
- Opposition criticises army use for Art of Living event 09 Mar 2016 | IANS
- 'Musharraf claims Zardari responsible for Benazir's killing' 21 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Rescuers in grim search for survivors of Mexico quake 21 Sep 2017 | AFP
- SC warns BCCI officials over draft constitution 21 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Rane quits Cong, says it didn't keep promise of making him CM 21 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Kejriwal invites Kamal to joint active politics 21 Sep 2017 | IANS
- HC allows Durga idol immersion on all days, including Muharram 21 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Dawood in 'setting' with government to return to India: Raj Thackeray 21 Sep 2017 | IANS
- Sonia writes to Modi on women's reservation bill 21 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Three killed, 30 injured in Kashmir grenade attack 21 Sep 2017 | IANS
- CBI arrests retired HC judge, 4 others in corruption case 21 Sep 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter | New Delhi
A 38-year-old man has been arrested by the Farsh Bazaar police for allegedly duping people coming to ATM and fraudulently withdrawing their money. Twelve ATM cards have been recovered from his possession...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Sep 2017 | PNS | Ranchi
With the objective to create awareness among the budding football stars of the Capital City and to motivate the footballers of the U/17 age group, Delhi Public School in association with Hermes Voyage Kolkata will host its first ever Inter School Football Tournament: ‘Ranchi Cup-2017’. The tournament will be organised on the campus premises on September 21 and September 22...