NGT bans open defecation, waste dumping on Yamuna floodplains
The National Green Tribunal (NGT) today banned open defecation and dumping of waste on the floodplains of the Yamuna and announced an environment compensation of Rs 5,000 for those who violated the diktat.
A bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Swatanter Kumar also constituted a committee headed by Delhi Jal Board CEO to oversee the execution of work pertaining to cleaning of the river and asked it to submit reports at regular intervals.
The Delhi government and the municipal corporations were directed to immediately take action against industries which operate in residential areas and are a major source of pollution to the river.
The green panel noted that almost 67 per cent of the pollution reaching the Yamuna would be treated by the two sewage treatment plants (STP) located at Delhi Gate and Najafgarh under Phase 1 of the 'Maili se Nirmal Yamuna Revitalisation Project 2017'.
The apex green panel had on May 1 ordered inspection of the STPs at Delhi Gate and Okhla with a view to ensure that wastewater was cleaned before it reached the Yamuna. It had sought a report with regard to functioning of these plants.
The tribunal was informed that a total of 14 STP projects are to be constructed to clean wastewater. Of these, seven are to be built by the Delhi Jal Board with its own funds.
The directions came as the NGT was hearing a plea on the monitoring of implementation of the 'Maili se Nirmal Yamuna Revitalisation Project 2017'.
- Delhi's water woes to ebb by tomorrow: CM 17 May 2017 | PTI
- NGT junks AOL's plea for acceptance of fine as bank guarantee 31 May 2016 | PTI
- PM shares drought concern, pitches for mass campaign to save water 24 Apr 2016 | PTI
- NGT unhappy over Sri Sri's remark; AOL to pay Rs 25L today 11 Mar 2016 | PTI
- AoL given three weeks to deposit Rs.5 crore 11 Mar 2016 | IANS
- Will go to jail but not pay a penny: Ravi Shankar on NGT fine 10 Mar 2016 | PTI
- NGT clears AOL event on Yamuna riverbed 09 Mar 2016 | PTI
- AOL event near Yamuna 'disaster': Delhi HC 09 Mar 2016 | IANS
- No permission for AOL event: Water Resources Ministry to NGT 09 Mar 2016 | PTI
- Opposition criticises army use for Art of Living event 09 Mar 2016 | IANS
- After video of angry passenger, minister says he was not responsible for flight delay 22 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Will not allow 'Padmavati' to release in Gujarat: Rupani 22 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Parliament's winter session will be held, to be regular session: Jaitley 22 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Pak's judicial body orders release of Hafiz Saeed 22 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Islamic schools in Pakistan plagued by sex abuse of children 22 Nov 2017 | AP
- 'Fools' have accepted formula given by 'fools': Nitin Patel 22 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Indian Air Force ‚Äď World‚Äôs First To Possess Lethal Combination Of BRAHMOS and Sukhoi-30 22 Nov 2017 | Agencies
- UP civic polls: Voting underway for 1st phase; BJP will wineverywhere, says Adityanath 22 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Students working overtime to build Apple iPhone X: Report 22 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Hackers stole data from 57 million Uber riders, drivers: CEO 22 Nov 2017 | AFP
Sunday EditionView All
19 Nov 2017 | PNS | GANDHINAGAR
Addressing a gathering of people via video conferencing in Bharuch district of poll-bound Gujarat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday asked them to unite against casteism, terrorism, black money, corruption and communalism. “It is a strange environment…We must hold each others hand and move ahead…...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
In a major administrative reshuffle, the State government on Wednesday issued transfer orders to reshuffle 15 Indian Administrative Services (IAS) officers. Revenue Secretary P Narhari has been posted as Commissioner in Public Relations department...