NGT bans open defecation, waste dumping on Yamuna floodplains
The National Green Tribunal (NGT) today banned open defecation and dumping of waste on the floodplains of the Yamuna and announced an environment compensation of Rs 5,000 for those who violated the diktat.
A bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Swatanter Kumar also constituted a committee headed by Delhi Jal Board CEO to oversee the execution of work pertaining to cleaning of the river and asked it to submit reports at regular intervals.
The Delhi government and the municipal corporations were directed to immediately take action against industries which operate in residential areas and are a major source of pollution to the river.
The green panel noted that almost 67 per cent of the pollution reaching the Yamuna would be treated by the two sewage treatment plants (STP) located at Delhi Gate and Najafgarh under Phase 1 of the 'Maili se Nirmal Yamuna Revitalisation Project 2017'.
The apex green panel had on May 1 ordered inspection of the STPs at Delhi Gate and Okhla with a view to ensure that wastewater was cleaned before it reached the Yamuna. It had sought a report with regard to functioning of these plants.
The tribunal was informed that a total of 14 STP projects are to be constructed to clean wastewater. Of these, seven are to be built by the Delhi Jal Board with its own funds.
The directions came as the NGT was hearing a plea on the monitoring of implementation of the 'Maili se Nirmal Yamuna Revitalisation Project 2017'.
- Delhi's water woes to ebb by tomorrow: CM 17 May 2017 | PTI
- NGT junks AOL's plea for acceptance of fine as bank guarantee 31 May 2016 | PTI
- PM shares drought concern, pitches for mass campaign to save water 24 Apr 2016 | PTI
- NGT unhappy over Sri Sri's remark; AOL to pay Rs 25L today 11 Mar 2016 | PTI
- AoL given three weeks to deposit Rs.5 crore 11 Mar 2016 | IANS
- Will go to jail but not pay a penny: Ravi Shankar on NGT fine 10 Mar 2016 | PTI
- NGT clears AOL event on Yamuna riverbed 09 Mar 2016 | PTI
- AOL event near Yamuna 'disaster': Delhi HC 09 Mar 2016 | IANS
- No permission for AOL event: Water Resources Ministry to NGT 09 Mar 2016 | PTI
- Opposition criticises army use for Art of Living event 09 Mar 2016 | IANS
- Mamata daydreaming about dislodging Modi: Javadekar 22 Jul 2017 | IANS
- Sharif's brother to replace him in case of conviction: report 22 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Seven cops thrashed by Army personnel in Kashmir, case filed 22 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Indian women's cricket team eyes slice of history, glory 22 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Ginsburg: Justices felt Trump travel ban 'too restrictive' 22 Jul 2017 | AP
- Reduce tension through direct dialogue:Pentagon to India,China 22 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Actively working towards clean political funding: Jaitley 22 Jul 2017 | IANS
- Only BJP and Communists can claim internal democracy: Amit Shah 21 Jul 2017 | IANS
- CBI arrests banker, Surat firm director in Rs 836 crore scam 21 Jul 2017 | IANS
- Trinamool to launch 'BJP Quit India' movement: Mamata 21 Jul 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
16 Jul 2017 | PNS | Lucknow
The Congress would launch a protest campaign both against the Centre as well as UP Government starting from next month. “People are feeling the pinch of unpopular decision of Modi Government like demonetisation, GST etc so now we will raise the people voice by protesting on all the district head-quarters in the State on August 9 on occasion of August Kranti Day”, disclosed chairman of the UPCC media...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Jul 2017 | Nityanand Dubey | Garhwa
The district administration has begun preparations for the district-level Independence Day function. Garhwa Deputy Commissioner Neha Arora on Thursday convened a meeting with officials of various departments and citizens at conference hall...