- Delhi HC dismisses plea against release of movie Padmavati
- 'Padmavati': Body of man found hanging on Nahargarh Fort in Jaipur
- Hafiz Saeed walks free; vows to fight for 'Kashmir cause'
- Parliament's Winter Session to be held from Dec 15 to Jan 5
- Vasco Da Gama-Patna Express derails near Manikpur in UP, 3 dead, 9 injured
- RK Nagar bypoll in TN on Dec 21: EC
NIA doesn't oppose Sadhvi's bail plea in Malegaon blast case
The National Investigation Agency, which is probing the 2008 Malegaon blast case, today did not oppose in a court here the bail application filed by Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur after giving her a clean chit last month.
"We have not opposed her bail application. We told the (special NIA) court that we have filed the charge sheet and the court may take appropriate decision," an NIA officer said.
NIA, in its charge sheet filed on May 13, dropped all the charges against Pragya and five others citing lack of evidence.
Meanwhile, Nisar Ahmed Sayyed Bilal, who was among those injured in the blast, has filed an intervention application opposing the bail for Pragya. He being an Rs affected party', the court should hear him, he says.
The court is likely to hear intervention application on Wednesday.
Sadhvi Pragya, Shyam Sahu, Shiv Kalsangra and Pravinn Takkalki have filed applications for bail.
Pragya has contended in the application that there is no evidence against her. Though the motor-cycle used in the blast was owned by her, according to one of the witnesses it was in the possession of Ramchandra Kalsangra, an absconding accused, she says.
Some of the witnesses whose statements were used to implicate her later recanted and filed complaints of torture by Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad, the application adds.
Seven people were killed in a blast at Malegaon, a predominantly Muslim town in north Maharashtra, on September 29, 2008.
- Pak not allowing Pathankot probe team will be betrayal: Rajnath Singh 28 May 2016 | PTI
- No govt interference in working of probe agencies: Rajnath 20 May 2016 | PTI
- Sadhvi Pragya attends Kumbh Mela 19 May 2016 | PTI
- India awaiting response from Pak on NIA visit 17 May 2016 | PTI
- Malegaon case: NIA gives clean chit to Sadhvi; dilutes charges against others 13 May 2016 | PTI
- Wife of slain NIA officer succumbs to injuries 13 Apr 2016 | PTI
- Two held in NIA officer murder case 12 Apr 2016 | PTI
- Was NIA official killed over a property dispute? 07 Apr 2016 | IANS
- Pakistan suspends talks with India, says no to NIA 07 Apr 2016 | IANS
- Kejriwal asks Modi to apologize over Pathankot probe 05 Apr 2016 | IANS
- 184 killed in militant attack on Egypt mosque 24 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Congress wants to break Army's morale, says Sitharaman 24 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Indian bowlers skittle out defensive Sri Lanka for 205 24 Nov 2017 | PTI
- National opposition should work together to challenge Modi 24 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Emmerson Mnangagwa sworn in as Zimbabwe President 24 Nov 2017 | IANS
- RSS chief pitches for Ram temple at disputed site in Ayodhya 24 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Fare hike costs metro three lakh commuters a day 24 Nov 2017 | PTI
- S African court doubles Pistorius sentence to more than 13 yrs 24 Nov 2017 | AFP
- Delhi HC dismisses plea against release of movie Padmavati 24 Nov 2017 | PTI
- 'Padmavati': Body of man found hanging on Nahargarh Fort in Jaipur 24 Nov 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
19 Nov 2017 | PNS | GANDHINAGAR
Addressing a gathering of people via video conferencing in Bharuch district of poll-bound Gujarat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday asked them to unite against casteism, terrorism, black money, corruption and communalism. “It is a strange environment…We must hold each others hand and move ahead…...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 Nov 2017 | PNS | Ranchi
Despite facing resistance from the city residents for closing down a few major cut points alongside MG Road and Harmu Bypass Road, the traffic police personnel are following the original plan in order to ensure smooth vehicular movement. SP (Traffic), Sanjay Ranjan Singh on Friday said that the orders of closing cut points along the two major routes will be followed as per the instructions received from Chief Minister, Raghubar Das...