×
E-PAPER ▾

E-paper

TOP STORIES

NIA doesn't oppose Sadhvi's bail plea in Malegaon blast case

| | Mumbai
NIA doesn't oppose Sadhvi's bail plea in Malegaon blast case

The National Investigation Agency, which is probing the 2008 Malegaon blast case, today did not oppose in a court here the bail application filed by Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur after giving her a clean chit last month.

"We have not opposed her bail application. We told the (special NIA) court that we have filed the charge sheet and the court may take appropriate decision," an NIA officer said.

NIA, in its charge sheet filed on May 13, dropped all the charges against Pragya and five others citing lack of evidence.

Meanwhile, Nisar Ahmed Sayyed Bilal, who was among those injured in the blast, has filed an intervention application opposing the bail for Pragya. He being an Rs affected party', the court should hear him, he says.

The court is likely to hear intervention application on Wednesday.

Sadhvi Pragya, Shyam Sahu, Shiv Kalsangra and Pravinn Takkalki have filed applications for bail.

Pragya has contended in the application that there is no evidence against her. Though the motor-cycle used in the blast was owned by her, according to one of the witnesses it was in the possession of Ramchandra Kalsangra, an absconding accused, she says.

Some of the witnesses whose statements were used to implicate her later recanted and filed complaints of torture by Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad, the application adds.

Seven people were killed in a blast at Malegaon, a predominantly Muslim town in north Maharashtra, on September 29, 2008. 

 
 
 
 
 

TOP STORIES

Sunday Edition

View All

Modi pays tribute to Rang Avadhoot

19 Nov 2017 | PNS | GANDHINAGAR

Addressing a gathering of people via video conferencing in Bharuch district of poll-bound Gujarat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday asked them to unite against casteism, terrorism, black money, corruption and communalism. “It is a strange environment…We must hold each others hand and move ahead…...

Read More

STATE EDITIONS

View All

Administration to continue blocking cuts to ease traffic from city arteries

25 Nov 2017 | PNS | Ranchi

Despite facing resistance from the city residents for closing down a few major cut points alongside MG Road and Harmu Bypass Road, the traffic police personnel are following the original plan in order to ensure smooth vehicular movement. SP (Traffic), Sanjay Ranjan Singh on Friday said that the orders of closing cut points along the two major routes will be followed as per the instructions received from Chief Minister, Raghubar Das...

Read More

Page generated in 0.6228 seconds.