NIA doesn't oppose Sadhvi's bail plea in Malegaon blast case
The National Investigation Agency, which is probing the 2008 Malegaon blast case, today did not oppose in a court here the bail application filed by Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur after giving her a clean chit last month.
"We have not opposed her bail application. We told the (special NIA) court that we have filed the charge sheet and the court may take appropriate decision," an NIA officer said.
NIA, in its charge sheet filed on May 13, dropped all the charges against Pragya and five others citing lack of evidence.
Meanwhile, Nisar Ahmed Sayyed Bilal, who was among those injured in the blast, has filed an intervention application opposing the bail for Pragya. He being an Rs affected party', the court should hear him, he says.
The court is likely to hear intervention application on Wednesday.
Sadhvi Pragya, Shyam Sahu, Shiv Kalsangra and Pravinn Takkalki have filed applications for bail.
Pragya has contended in the application that there is no evidence against her. Though the motor-cycle used in the blast was owned by her, according to one of the witnesses it was in the possession of Ramchandra Kalsangra, an absconding accused, she says.
Some of the witnesses whose statements were used to implicate her later recanted and filed complaints of torture by Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad, the application adds.
Seven people were killed in a blast at Malegaon, a predominantly Muslim town in north Maharashtra, on September 29, 2008.
- Pak not allowing Pathankot probe team will be betrayal: Rajnath Singh 28 May 2016 | PTI
- No govt interference in working of probe agencies: Rajnath 20 May 2016 | PTI
- Sadhvi Pragya attends Kumbh Mela 19 May 2016 | PTI
- India awaiting response from Pak on NIA visit 17 May 2016 | PTI
- Malegaon case: NIA gives clean chit to Sadhvi; dilutes charges against others 13 May 2016 | PTI
- Wife of slain NIA officer succumbs to injuries 13 Apr 2016 | PTI
- Two held in NIA officer murder case 12 Apr 2016 | PTI
- Was NIA official killed over a property dispute? 07 Apr 2016 | IANS
- Pakistan suspends talks with India, says no to NIA 07 Apr 2016 | IANS
- Kejriwal asks Modi to apologize over Pathankot probe 05 Apr 2016 | IANS
- Army Major detained from Meerut for his involvement in killing another Major's wife 24 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Pak elections: Independent candidate declares over Rs 400 billion in assets 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Verma bags silver, bronze; Deepika eyeing two medals in recurve 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Canadian PM calls Air India bombing an act of 'malice' 24 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Oppn parties must set aside egos to take on BJP in 2019: Tejashwi Yadav 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Violence cannot solve any problem: PM 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- PM inaugurates Delhi Metro's Mundka-Bahadurgarh section 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Rahul attacks PM over non-construction of super speciality hospital in Odisha 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Army chief reviews security situation along LoC 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Modi accuses Congress of ignoring cities 23 Jun 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
24 Jun 2018 | PNS
Book on Renewable Energy Technology Released Hon’ble Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Power, New and Renewable Energy, Shri RK Singh released a book titled “Renewable Energy Technology” co-authored by Shri IS Jha, CMD (POWERGRID), Shri Subir Sen, COO (CTU Planning &Smart Grid) POWERGRID, Shri Manish Kumar Tiwari, Asst GM (Smart Grid) POWERGRID and Prof DP Kothari in the august presence of CMD, POWERGRID, senior officials of Ministry of....
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Jun 2018 | PNS | Lucknow
Cabinet minister and Suheldeo Bhartiya Samaj Party chief Om Prakash Rajbhar along with his supporters constructed a road in his village near Varanasi on Saturday. The minister, a compulsive dissident in the Yogi government, resorted to the extreme step maintaining that despite repeated requests, the Public Works Department (PWD) refused to construct the road...