NIA doesn't oppose Sadhvi's bail plea in Malegaon blast case
The National Investigation Agency, which is probing the 2008 Malegaon blast case, today did not oppose in a court here the bail application filed by Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur after giving her a clean chit last month.
"We have not opposed her bail application. We told the (special NIA) court that we have filed the charge sheet and the court may take appropriate decision," an NIA officer said.
NIA, in its charge sheet filed on May 13, dropped all the charges against Pragya and five others citing lack of evidence.
Meanwhile, Nisar Ahmed Sayyed Bilal, who was among those injured in the blast, has filed an intervention application opposing the bail for Pragya. He being an Rs affected party', the court should hear him, he says.
The court is likely to hear intervention application on Wednesday.
Sadhvi Pragya, Shyam Sahu, Shiv Kalsangra and Pravinn Takkalki have filed applications for bail.
Pragya has contended in the application that there is no evidence against her. Though the motor-cycle used in the blast was owned by her, according to one of the witnesses it was in the possession of Ramchandra Kalsangra, an absconding accused, she says.
Some of the witnesses whose statements were used to implicate her later recanted and filed complaints of torture by Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad, the application adds.
Seven people were killed in a blast at Malegaon, a predominantly Muslim town in north Maharashtra, on September 29, 2008.
- Pak not allowing Pathankot probe team will be betrayal: Rajnath Singh 28 May 2016 | PTI
- No govt interference in working of probe agencies: Rajnath 20 May 2016 | PTI
- Sadhvi Pragya attends Kumbh Mela 19 May 2016 | PTI
- India awaiting response from Pak on NIA visit 17 May 2016 | PTI
- Malegaon case: NIA gives clean chit to Sadhvi; dilutes charges against others 13 May 2016 | PTI
- Wife of slain NIA officer succumbs to injuries 13 Apr 2016 | PTI
- Two held in NIA officer murder case 12 Apr 2016 | PTI
- Was NIA official killed over a property dispute? 07 Apr 2016 | IANS
- Pakistan suspends talks with India, says no to NIA 07 Apr 2016 | IANS
- Kejriwal asks Modi to apologize over Pathankot probe 05 Apr 2016 | IANS
- Fuel prices will come down soon: Pradhan 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- 3.5-magnitude quake rattles N Korea near nuclear test site 23 Sep 2017 | AFP
- Senior journalist, mother murdered in Mohali house 23 Sep 2017 | IANS
- We all lied about Jaya's health condition: TN Minister 23 Sep 2017 | IANS
- Does NKorean H-bomb threat push US closer to war? 23 Sep 2017 | AP
- Beware of 'fake' samajwadis, Akhilesh tells party members 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- ED files charge sheet against Kashmiri separatist leader Shah 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Arvind Subramanian to continue as CEA, gets 1-yr extension 23 Sep 2017 | IANS
- Britain's May asks for transition deal after Brexit 23 Sep 2017 | AFP
- Swaraj to address UN General Assembly tonight 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
24 Sep 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA | Mumbai
In a clear indication of an irreconcilable rift between it and its senior alliance partner BJP, the Shiv Sena on Saturday staged simultaneous protests at 12 places across the metropolis against the hike in prices of fuel, essential commodities and domestic gas cylinders. Amid intense speculation that Sena president Uddhav Thackeray — during his Dussehra rally to be held next week — might announce withdrawal of his party’s support to the...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Sep 2017 | PNS | Ranchi
Chief Minister Raghubar Das on Saturday said that the foundation for new power plant at Patratu — a joint venture of Jharkhand Government and National Thermal Power Corruption (NTPC) will be laid soon. During a meeting with NTPC Chairman Gurdeep Singh here on Thursday CM said that the plant will not only fill the energy gap in State but will also be able to supply power to other States...