- Piyush Goyal junks report suggesting airline-like dynamic pricing in railway
- Bypoll defeats no referendum on BJP policies, programmes: Yogi
- NDA messed up economy, mismanaged JK: Manmohan Singh
- Putin eyes fourth term as Russians go to polls
- 3 AIIMS doctors enroute to Agra killed in accident on Yamuna e-way
- Five civilians killed in Pakistan firing on LoC
No chance of Ahmed Patel winning Rajya Sabha polls: Cong MLA
Amid the exit of six Congress MLAs ahead of Rajya Sabha polls, a senior party legislator has said Ahmed Patel will find it difficult to win the elections as more opposition lawmakers are likely to resign in the days to come.
Congress MLA Raghavjee Patel, considered close to former party strongman Shankersinh Vaghela, indicated he would also resign and join the BJP.
Ahmed Patel has been fielded by the Congress for the August 8 Rajya Sabha polls.
"The state party leadership, along with Congress high command, is responsible for whatever is happening right now. In the coming days, around 20 Congress MLAs would severe ties with the party. Thus, it will be impossible for Ahmed Patel to win the Rajya Sabha polls," Raghavjee told media persons yesterday.
"When I met Ahmed bhai recently, I cautioned him about this situation and urged him not to contest polls, as I already saw this coming. I firmly believe the Congress cannot win the Rajya Sabha seat from Gujarat," said the MLA from Jamnagar (Rural) seat.
"Since there are only two main parties in Gujarat, the BJP is the only option for me if I leave the Congress. I have already had a word with BJP national president Amit Shah and state president Jitubhai Vaghani and conveyed my wish to join the party," said Raghavjee.
Another Congress MLA from Jamnagar, Dharmendrasinh Jadeja, also indicated he would leave the party.
"A large number of Congress workers are unhappy with the way the party is functioning. Though I and Raghavjee had made numerous representations about it in the past, the party high command has not given any satisfactory answer. I will take appropriate decision in coming days," said the MLA from Jamnagar (North) seat.
During last two days, six Congress MLAs have tendered their resignation. Three of them, including Balwantsinh Rajput, joined the BJP on Thursday.
Rajput is now pitted against Ahmed Patel.
In the 182-member Assembly, the strength of Congress has gone down to 51.
Of the total 11 RS members from the state, the term of three of them -- Smriti Irani and Dilipbhai Pandya (both BJP) and Ahmed Patel -- is ending on August 18.
- None can raise question on govt's integrity, intention: Rajnath 18 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Modi not fighting corruption, is corruption himself: Rahul 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Indian ethos includes respect for believers, non-believers: Dalai Lama 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Rahul Dravid files police complaint against ponzi firm 18 Mar 2018 | PTI
- BJP, RSS like Kauravas, designed to fight for power: Rahul 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- IITians should aspire to achieve best for society: President 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Demonetization was a greatest lie: Chidambaram 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Piyush Goyal junks report suggesting airline-like dynamic pricing in railway 18 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Bypoll defeats no referendum on BJP policies, programmes: Yogi 18 Mar 2018 | PTI
- NDA messed up economy, mismanaged JK: Manmohan Singh 18 Mar 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Mar 2018 | PNS
AAI conducts international workshop for utilizing GAGAN In keeping with the Prime Minister’s objective of using technology as a means of development and co-operation, Airports Authority of India has now offered GPS-aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) to SAARC and Southeast Asian countries in order to allow them to reap the significant benefits that accrue from such an advanced navigation system. AAI conducted a two-day workshop on March 15 and 16, 2018...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Mar 2018 | PNS | Chandigarh
Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal on Saturday said that the previous governments indulged in the business of illegally acquiring lands with ulterior motives and with the intent of having their own cut. “This was done not only in Rohtak but in the entire state...