×
E-PAPER ▾

E-paper

TOP STORIES

No govt interference in working of probe agencies: Rajnath

| | New Delhi
No govt interference in working of probe agencies: Rajnath
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh today dismissed allegations of political "interference" in the Malegaon blast case investigation conducted by NIA, saying probe agencies in the country function with "full-fledged autonomy".
 
"All our investigation agencies have full-fledged autonomy...There is no interference from our side or from the government's side," he said while interacting with reporters on the sidelines of a Border Security Force event here.
 
National Investigation Agency (NIA) had last week, in a complete U-turn, dropped all charges against Sadhvi Pragya Thakur and five others in the 2008 Malegaon blast case. Charges under the stringent MCOCA law were dropped against all the other 10 accused, including Lt Col Prasad Shrikant Purohit, as part of its charge sheet filed in a Mumbai court.
 
Asked about a possible time line by when NIA investigators could travel to Pakistan to conduct their probe in the Pathankot terror attack case, Singh said the Foreign Secretaries of the two countries have talked on the issue.
 
"That time Pakistan's response was positive...NIA also wants to go there and talks have taken place at the Foreign Secretary level," he said.
 
The Home Minister termed the outcome in the Assembly polls as a "spectacular" win for BJP.
 
"BJP got a spectacular win...It has a clear majority in Parliament. It also a party which has formed government in 14 states on the power of either its full-fledged majority or by way of coalition. A big geographical area has been covered by BJP," he said.
 
On Congress leader Digvijaya Singh's pitch for a "major surgery" in the organisation in the wake of the disappointing results in the Assembly polls, he said the issue is Congress' 'andar ki baat' (internal matter).
 
"This is their internal matter. I will not like to comment. How to rectify, what to rectify, it's Congress' decision," he said.
 
Singh said that the Cabinet will soon take a decision on the issue of allowing special risk allowance for troops of paramilitary forces serving in Left Wing Extremism (LWE) areas on par with what is given to those who serve in the counter- insurgency grid in the north east and counter-terrorism and anti-militancy operations in Jammu and Kashmir.
 
"The Pay Commission recommendations (on the issue) have come and the Cabinet will think about it," he said.
 
 
 
 
 

TOP STORIES

Sunday Edition

View All

‚ÄėAssault‚Äô on police driver: Action against Kerala ADGP

17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi

In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...

Read More

STATE EDITIONS

View All

IN BRIEF

23 Jun 2018 | PNS | Kochi

MCD still waiting for HC order on encroachment Dehradun: Days after the High Court ordered the officials to remove encroachment from different areas of Dehradun like markets, streets and footpaths in four weeks, the officials concerned said on Friday that they were still waiting for the order to come. They, however, assured that they would execute the order once they get a copy and read it thoroughly...

Read More

Page generated in 0.2137 seconds.