×
E-PAPER ▾

E-paper

TOP STORIES

No info from Pak on Jadhav's condition

| | New Delhi
No info from Pak on Jadhav's condition
India may have got a breather from the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in the Kulbhushan Jadhav case, but his well-being still remains a matter of concern as Pakistan has provided no information about his location or health condition.
 
The ICJ had yesterday stayed the execution of 46-year-old Jadhav, who was sentenced to death last month by a Pakistan military court that convicted him of alleged spying and subversive activities. The retired Indian Navy officer has been in Pakistan custody for more than a year.
 
According to government sources, since the case has reached the international court, it is incumbent on Pakistan to produce "material evidence" about his whereabout and well- being.
 
They also stressed on the requirement for Pakistan to produce evidence of proper trial which it claimed to have conducted in the case.
 
Asked if the government has information on Jadhav's location in Pakistan, External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Gopal Baglay said, "As of today, the Pakistan government has not provided any information about Jadhav's condition or where he has been kept there. This has been a matter of concern."
 
Last month, India had also asked the Pakistan government to provide a report on his medical condition.
 
On Jadhav's appeal process, he said, "Unfortunately, India has no information on the issue."
 
There is also no information on what has happened to the appeal by Jadhav's mother which was handed over to the Pakistan foreign secretary by the Indian high commissioner in Islamabad, he added.
 
According to the Pakistani side, Jadhav had 40 days to appeal from the date of verdict which was April 10.
 
Baglay also noted that as per the information available, Pakistan has also not taken any action on the visa request by Jadhav's family to travel to Pakistan to meet him and appeal in person, if required.
 
Pakistan claims its security forces arrested the Indian national from its restive Balochistan province on March 3 last year after he reportedly entered from Iran.
 
However, India maintains that he was kidnapped from Iran where he had business interests after retiring from the Navy.
 
 
 

TOP STORIES

Sunday Edition

View All

38-yr-old held for duping people coming to ATM

17 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter | New Delhi

A 38-year-old man has been arrested by the Farsh Bazaar police for allegedly duping people coming to ATM and fraudulently withdrawing their money. Twelve ATM cards have been recovered from his possession...

Read More

STATE EDITIONS

View All

DPS to host U-17 football tourney

21 Sep 2017 | PNS | Ranchi

With the objective to create awareness among the budding football stars of the Capital City and to motivate the footballers of the U/17 age group, Delhi Public School in association with Hermes Voyage Kolkata will host its first ever Inter School Football Tournament: ‘Ranchi Cup-2017’. The tournament will be organised on the campus premises on September 21 and September 22...

Read More

Page generated in 0.3778 seconds.